Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • helo138helo138 Member Posts: 53
    @subtledoctor,

here I am again with another question. Does the stat bonus overhaul component interact with stats from npcs/enemies?
    I recently noticed that enemies like Angelo and Silke have 12 in all stats. Looking at the changelog of the creature files, the stat-overhaul from SoB causes this. I am merely curious what´s your reasoning for this.

helo138 said:

here I am again with another question. Does the stat bonus overhaul component interact with stats from npcs/enemies?
    I recently noticed that enemies like Angelo and Silke have 12 in all stats. Looking at the changelog of the creature files, the stat-overhaul from SoB causes this. I am merely curious what´s your reasoning for this.

I'm pretty sure that's not happening. The mod has no reason to do that. Ioware, when they originally coded up the game with its hundreds of creatures, did not fill out the days for every one. Many, many creatures have 9s or 12s across the board, and Bioware just (inconsistently) gave thac0/damage/etc. bonuses independent of their stats.

That is very annoying to deal with for modders. What this mod does is, if a .CRE file is coded with one of the base classes, and it has less than 17 in the main stat for that class, it raises that one stat to 17. So if Silke is coded as a bard and has a 12 CHA, it should be changed to 17. If a .CRE file has a nonstandard class, or already has a 17 or higher, it is unchanged.

Oh, I forgot this as well: the stat component gives several penalties for having a 9. So for all creatures that have 9s across the board, it bumps them to 12s across the board.

So tl;dr: check those NPCs in the vanilla game, you will see they have straight 9s. This component might increase some stats to 12 or 17, but it does not decrease anything. Gameplay should be slightly more challenging, or else exactly the same.
    I checked the silke.cre-file in bgee-sod. She has 17 charisma and 9 constitution the other stats lie in between. I attach the change log of the silke-file and the two cre-files in textformat in my eet-install. If I interpret the changelog correctly, the first cre-file (00000) is the original file (identical with the one from vanilla). The second is the file altered by SoB. If that´s the case than SoB (newest version 5.7.1) changes the stats to 12, because the second cre-file looks exactly the same except for the stats. I don´t have much experience generating this files so correct me if I am reading them wrong.

Even more interesting I can´t reproduce this issue in an older eet-install. In this install the silke.cre-file is not touched by the stat-overhaul component (SoB version 5.6.4, see changelog).
    Hope this helps.
    edited August 2017
    @subtledoctor ,
    do you have an idea how I can fix this? If it´s an easy change, I might be able to to it myself. I may be able to alter the filter so the stats are not touched, but to repair the filter would be a more ideal solution. I fear that a new installation will be necessary. Sigh...

edit: I altered the above code in SOB.revised.stats.tpa to only patch the files if the stats lie between 1 and 2 and the mod still changed Silkes stats so yeah, the filters as they are now do not work.

The clumsy-but-effective way, which is what I'll probably do, is:

PATCH_IF (8 < charisma) BEGIN
    PATCH_IF (charisma < 12) BEGIN
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 12
    END
    END
    A more speculative possibility is:
    PATCH_IF (8 < charisma) AND (charisma < 12) BEGIN
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 12
    END
    But I know for sure the former, less elegant version will work, while I'm not sure about the AND. So I'll probably do the former.
    The first version works for BGEE. Silke retains her stats. Cheers.
    @subtledoctor ,

in my most recent eet-install I noticed a weird interaction between the dark horizons and the scales of balance mod. Some (I would say a third) of the mod-encounter characters have level 1 hit points. A component of SoB, I believe the hit dice overhaul or the weapon proficiency or a combination of both, is causing this behaviour. I only noticed the reduced hit points if a character has a positiv xp-value (enough to level up I think). I didn´t noticed something like this with any other content mod. If you want to check this, the cre-files from Tristan and Isolde, the very first encounter of this mod, are a good opportunity. He has no xp value and normal hit points. She has a positiv xp-value and level 1 hit points. This is only a minor issue, but if you know the reason this happens, you could satisfy my curiosity.
    edited August 2017
    @subtledoctor
    yeah the npcs which have reduced hitpoints, also are set to level one. The problem is connected to the biography field. Where can I find this field by the way? In the sound sets of the effected creature files I find the biographies of safana, faldorn, etc., as if the npcs are derived from their cre-files and the field wasn´t emptied after finishing the new npc. It looks like the creator used some of their soundsets too.
    Ok it this is the problem, it´s not your problem to solve. Don´t know if this mod is still maintained, but I can make this changes in a new game myself.
    Thanks for clarification.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2017
    @subtledoctor
    some of the dark horizons npcs have strings in their biography field. So your mod thinks they are joinable npcs and sets them to level 1 with appropriate hp. Since this npcs are not joinable they have no way of leveling up again (right?), and when I encounter them they die with the first hit (that´s the reason i found the error in the first place).
    As I said, it´s not your job to fix, because non joinable npcs, shouldn´t have biographies, because you have no opportunity to read them anyhow.
    Hope the issue is clearer now.
    Post edited by helo138 on
    Of course that´s your prerogative. But I am sure there are other more pressing issues, like the compatibility between SoB and FnP.
  • yowaveyowave Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2017
    @subtledoctor

Well, old versions didn't patch NPCs. But they also didn't have the same/as awesome t visions as the new version.

The code says:

PATCH_IF (8 < charisma < 12) BEGIN
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 12
    So it sounds like that filter is failing, and returning true even when charisma is over 12. Shouldn't be hard to fix.
    There is a problem with your logic, 8 < charisma, what happens if charisma is 12?
    You can use AND\OR to fix this problem.
    Anyway your script cause some bad stat allocation, which effect your D5_STATS effect, which makes the game easier in a way.
    How i would do it:
    PATCH_IF charisma < 12 BEGIN
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 12
    If your intention was to only patch between 8 and 11 then i would do it like this:
    PATCH_IF (charisma >= 8) AND (charisma < 12) BEGIN
    WRITE_BYTE 0x23e 12
    unmodded BG2EE JOLUS.CRE:

modded BG2EE JOLUS.CRE:

About the level 1 NPC's, i think it might cause bigger problems than you might think, for example, how will it effect dorn which turn into an enemy with the right dialogue path? If you are blindly setting all "joinable" NPC's to level 1, then our lovely blackguard will fall really quickly.
    There are 2 approaches to this problem:
    1. Check for dialogue action JoinParty() in all the .CRE files that have a dialogue, and give them an item to reset their level.
    2. Change their current proficiency allocation points to reflect your "Proficiency System Overhaul", without resetting their levels.
    Can do this by going through their effects getting all their proficiency points, deleting the relevant effects and then adding your effects.
    For example Dorn starts with 4 weapon proficiency effects, one of them giving him 2 points in crossbow's, you would give him 1 point in your relevant proficiency.

Do note that most (if not, all) joinable NPC's have "Modify Proficiency" effect, and regular NPC's have those as an attribute.

Curious about your D5_STATS, wouldn't it effect the effect duration if you would used it here?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    yowave said:

Curious about your D5_STATS, wouldn't it effect the effect duration if you would used it here?

Regardless of timing mode, Apply Effects List(326) is always instant or delayed/instant. The duration field can be used to set the delay, but otherwise has no effect. Any durations have to be specified on the effects of the subspell it applies.
    edited August 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited September 2017
  • WorgingAsIntendedWorgingAsIntended Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    I'm having some issues getting this running on BG:EE. Starting a new game on a fresh install, with only this mod installed. I'm running into a no effects altered on error while installing, on chan12.itm during YARAS, fireseed.itm, seemingly all darts and several blunt items during the fighting style changes option, and seemingly all spells during the saving throw overhauls. When I go to make a new character, the race descriptions are gone, and in their place is "invalid:"followed by a short string of numbers. Many of the weapon proficiencies are called invalid #, but have their original description, and the specializations seem to be missing entirely. I start with 5 points of specialization as a fighter instead of 4, but with 14 starting int I don't get any further points. I also cannot put in more than one point per weapon type. What has gone wrong, and what can I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.
    edited October 2017
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I feel that the current YARAS is pretty decent, actually.
  • JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 46
    I don't really have any suggestions. I kinda like the way it is for now. Why change stuff around when you can make new things :wink:

GawainBS said:

Another report: Jan Janssen's armour gets considered as Studded Leather, meaning it changes his AC and lowers his DEX, which also means that he no longer meets the minimum required DEX for his gloves & goggles.

GawainBS said:

Skalds are not able to allocate 3 stars (with WPO installed) on longswords, spears, axes or flails.

Btw I forgot to mention it but these are fixed in 5.7.1
    Oh, I just saw this post now: thanks!
  • JebbleJebble Member Posts: 27
    I have a few comments about the proficiency system. It seems what you are trying to accomplish with that component is in fact not what you accomplish.

You write under the proficiency system: "This component can be considered a convenience tweak; it will give most classes substantially more proficiency points to spend. But it incentivizes spreading those points more widely instead of focusing on a single weapon (like the vanilla game), and your overall level of power at any given moment should roughly on par with an unmodded game. The aim is, with more points in more weapons, when you complete a quest and find a wonderful magical artifact, you can actually *use* it instead of just tossing it into your pack to sell later."

The fact is, that each warrior has to focus equally much in a weapon as much as they did before if not more in case the character is not a fighter. While a warrior has more proficiency points to distribute at character creation, they do not gain more proficiency point by leveling. That results in that a warrior only have one weapon to be specialized in.

To accomplish what you are seeking, a warrior should gain more proficiency points at level up than they currently do. A fighter could for example gain 3 proficiency points at level 3, 6, 9 etc. instead of only 1.

Do you @subtledoctor agree with this assessment? If yes, is it something you would like to change?

Jebble said:

I have a few comments about the proficiency system. It seems what you are trying to accomplish with that component is in fact not what you accomplish.

You write under the proficiency system: "This component can be considered a convenience tweak; it will give most classes substantially more proficiency points to spend. But it incentivizes spreading those points more widely instead of focusing on a single weapon (like the vanilla game), and your overall level of power at any given moment should roughly on par with an unmodded game. The aim is, with more points in more weapons, when you complete a quest and find a wonderful magical artifact, you can actually *use* it instead of just tossing it into your pack to sell later."

The fact is, that each warrior has to focus equally much in a weapon as much as they did before if not more in case the character is not a fighter. While a warrior has more proficiency points to distribute at character creation, they do not gain more proficiency point by leveling. That results in that a warrior only have one weapon to be specialized in.

To accomplish what you are seeking, a warrior should gain more proficiency points at level up than they currently do. A fighter could for example gain 3 proficiency points at level 3, 6, 9 etc. instead of only 1.

Do you @subtledoctor agree with this assessment? If yes, is it something you would like to change?

This makes sense, actually. By the time you start finding weapons worth keeping, your characters are already invested in certain types.