Skip to content

Would you buy Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition?

Comments

• VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    IWD2 is my favorite ... just after Planescape: Torment ,but i hope Beamdog creates their own game with their own story separated from the BG ,IWD and Torment series.
    KenjiCvijetasarevok57
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    It would be a logical choice. But I don't think this will be done before they release their main project David Gaider and his team are working on.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2017
    -snip-

Also what is with the red box with "I would totally play the **** out of this game"? I'm seeing that almost every post in this topic.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    If you voted "I would totally play...." you choice is shown above your post. It's poll script.
    semiticgoddess
  • ElvenbladeElvenblade Member Posts: 21
    No matter what I try I just can't get IwD 2 running smoothly on a modern system, so yeah, I'd gladly pay for an enhanced edition!
    _Luke_AstroBryGuy
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

No matter what I try I just can't get IwD 2 running smoothly on a modern system, so yeah, I'd gladly pay for an enhanced edition!

Did you try the GoG version? https://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_2
    semiticgoddess
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

We don't care. We demand an enhanced edition >:) !
    gugulug5000DJKajuruAedan
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    This game seriously needs to happen.
    C'mon Beamdog, I know it wouldn't be easy since it uses a different rule set, but surely PST wasn't exactly easy either.
    AedanThacoBell
    edited May 2017
    Dev6 said:

This game seriously needs to happen.
    C'mon Beamdog, I know it wouldn't be easy since it uses a different rule set, but surely PST wasn't exactly easy either.

PST's difference was the ruleset. It was the same engine, and they had the code. So, really, that part was just a matter of taking the time to do the port to modern systems.

Icewind Dale II uses the same engine, but they don't have the codebase: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/874370/#Comment_874370
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2017

Icewind Dale II uses the same engine, but they don't have the codebase: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/874370/#Comment_874370

It seems to me that they are looking into it, as they did with the other EEs.
    Kamigoroshi
  • ElvenbladeElvenblade Member Posts: 21

Yup, get some really annoying mouse lag and fog of war is blocky. Using the widescreen mod sends my fps to the abyss.
    I've tried various performance guides and fixes, but no luck.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Aedan said:

It seems to me that they are looking into it, as they did with the other EEs.
    They are looking into it, but unlike BG1/BG2, IWD, and PST, they apparently do not have the source code (yet). Without the source code, it sounds like IWD2EE is DOA. :disappointed:
  • GalahardGalahard Member Posts: 8
    I would buy it, play it, just make it!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Luke93 said:
    Yes, looks like they're definitely thinking about it, but the tweet is bad news actually: Beamdog doesn't have the source code and without it, it won't happen, that's what it says.
    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddess
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Luke93 said:

Yes, looks like they're definitely thinking about it, but the tweet is bad news actually: Beamdog doesn't have the source code and without it, it won't happen, that's what it says.

Let's hope they have success in finding it. I would be very surprised if nobody on the IWD2 team held onto the code.

Let's hope they have success in finding it. I would be very surprised if nobody on the IWD2 team held onto the code.

I wouldn't be. The devs don't own that code. Black Isle Studios did. And my guess is another company bought it from them. The devs of IWD2 have no ability to hand out that code, unless they're willing to risk a major lawsuit that would sink Beamdog - which they obviously wouldn't be.

semiticgoddess
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @rapsam2003 - Since Black Isle also created IWD and PST and the rights to the source code to those games passed to WotC/Hasbro, it is a reasonable assumption that the rights to the IWD2 code also passed to Hasbro with the rest of the rights to the game.

And, given that Trent is publicly asking other devs for leads on tracking down the source code, it doesn't sound like he thinks there's a lawsuit risk.
    tbone1ThacoBellAedansemiticgoddess

@rapsam2003 - Since Black Isle also created IWD and PST and the rights to the source code to those games passed to WotC/Hasbro, it is a reasonable assumption that the rights to the IWD2 code also passed to Hasbro with the rest of the rights to the game.

And, given that Trent is publicly asking other devs for leads on tracking down the source code, it doesn't sound like he thinks there's a lawsuit risk.

Nah, that just means it's a PR move. Hasbro probably owns the rights. If the okay wasn't given to at least explore it and find the old code, he wouldn't be asking publicly.

But it's a matter of principle that devs don't generally own the code they worked on; the company does. Which was my point.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    It warms my heart that at least the devs are looking into doing IWD2:EE. It has been well over a decade and a half since IWD2 came out, doesn't hurt to wait another.

Okay maybe it does, I want the enhanced edition now!
    semiticgoddessAedanVarwulf
  • janicjanic Member Posts: 4

So far we have made no progress finding the source code for Icewind Dale II. Archives have been searched, with no success.

— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) June 27, 2017
    :s
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Truly fantastic that Beamdog would consider the project at all, regardless if the code is found or not.

Thank you.
    QuartzJuliusBorisov
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2017
    I liked IWD2 a lot, not as good as the original but some really nice touches in there, so yes, if they ever get round to it I'd play the excrement out of it :)

Edit: They put the wrong vote category on my post - it should read "Yes, I'd play it" damn :(
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Sad news for all the fans hoping for IWD2:EE
    ThacoBellNonnahswritersemiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    NonnahswritersemiticgoddessVarwulf
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    My heart is broken. :'(
    Varwulf
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    But... My OCD! My completionist syndrome! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!? :cry:
    tbone1themazingnessVarwulf