Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Pokota

Nope. Set bonuses (e.g. Gauntlets of Dexterity, Big-Fisted Belt) always apply before increment bonuses. They only override other set bonuses (like drinking a Potion of Agility to counteract the Violet Potion). If you had 6 INT drained from you then put on the Big-Fisted Belt you would die instantly.
    Pokotalolien
  • broshimobroshimo Member Posts: 19
    Throne of Bhaal question: just finished Shadows of Amn, and ToB-only NPC offers to join my party. Is there a safe place for me to dump a party member for the ToB NPC? I read that this ToB-only NPC recruitment area is temporary, so my former party member (Keldorn) will die while I continue my adventure with the new NPC. Or do I have to handwave this roleplaying problem, imagining that I relieved him of his duties upon end of BG2 and he's back home in Amn?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Anyone know the neg. HP number at which a 'chunk effect' is reached during combat? Minsc once hit a -18 and was still around (dead, but still around), part of it was a cloudkill I think. Just curious.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    broshimo said:

Throne of Bhaal question: just finished Shadows of Amn, and ToB-only NPC offers to join my party. Is there a safe place for me to dump a party member for the ToB NPC? I read that this ToB-only NPC recruitment area is temporary, so my former party member (Keldorn) will die while I continue my adventure with the new NPC. Or do I have to handwave this roleplaying problem, imagining that I relieved him of his duties upon end of BG2 and he's back home in Amn?

You can return to the recruitment area at will so at a later time you can temporarily drop one character, return for Keldorn, and bring him outside to a safe place. Or as you suggest, you can headcanon that Keldorn wanted to go back to his family at the end of SoA, and that you let him go.
    JuliusBorisovbroshimo

broshimo said:

You can return to the recruitment area at will so at a later time you can temporarily drop one character, return for Keldorn, and bring him outside to a safe place. Or as you suggest, you can headcanon that Keldorn wanted to go back to his family at the end of SoA, and that you let him go.
    Thanks for the response. Will temporarily dropping ToB-only NPC ruin any potential dialogue options? I know I can't drop any romanced NPC because it kills the romance, but haven't had any problems with remaining NPCs other than being guilt-tripped every damn time.
    @kjeron Thanks, makes sense.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @kjeron are you sure it is at -20 and not -10? Neera just chunked a zombie for me with an attack that did 10 crush damage... The zombie had been knocked out by another zombie which had been charmed by a nymph I summoned.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarZaghoul
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    broshimo said:

broshimo said:

Thanks for the response. Will temporarily dropping ToB-only NPC ruin any potential dialogue options? I know I can't drop any romanced NPC because it kills the romance, but haven't had any problems with remaining NPCs other than being guilt-tripped every damn time.
    I don't think you lose any dialogue options but I am not sure - I never tried dropping them if I decided to keep the ToB NPC.
    JuliusBorisovbroshimo
    Good info. :) I like a good chunk effect, it adds a little more excitement when taking NPCs into a good scrap. It's also led to a romance being chunked but that's good in a strange sorta way, although upsetting and usually shocks me at the time (why you low down dirty so n so...), it also fires me up to open a can o whoop-ass on the chunker, straight up nuclear at that. B)
    Aerakar
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited September 2017
    Is there a mod for BGEE/BG2(EE)/IWD(EE) that changes the animate dead behavior from "One undead with a lot of hit dice" to "A bunch of undead with one hit die each (up to the summon limit)", similar to how it was in BG Classic?
    @Pokota Spell Revisions changes it a bit more to that style. For clerics it's 2, 3, or 4 skellies at 2HD for 5th, 7th, and 9th lvl. 2 Greater 5HD skellies are not until 12th.
    Mages get shadows of a similar fashion instead of skellies. With 3 shadows 3HD at 9th and 2 5HD wraiths at 12thlvl.
    Only spell mod I know and have enjoyed and tried anyway.
    Pokota
  • TranscendedOneTranscendedOne Member Posts: 25
    Hey, is there a discord server somewhere? If not, anyone interested in making one for beamdog/baldur's gate etc?
    edited October 2017
    @TranscendedOne https://discord.gg/mbb5n

Everyone else: Does Minor Sequencer not trigger a wild surge when called? I just cast it normally through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and didn't get any wild surge. At all.

E: The next spell I cast (invisibility) did wild surge... I will SCIENCE! this to see if the wild surge is being deferred to the next spell.
    Post edited by Pokota on
  • TranscendedOneTranscendedOne Member Posts: 25
    @Pokota Seems it has expired. May you set the link to perma?
    I'm not server admin so I'm leery about sending out perma invites. So here's the thread link.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/855250#Comment_855250
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Pokota said:

Everyone else: Does Minor Sequencer not trigger a wild surge when called? I just cast it normally through Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and didn't get any wild surge. At all.

E: The next spell I cast (invisibility) did wild surge... I will SCIENCE! this to see if the wild surge is being deferred to the next spell.

Sequencer and contingency spells are flagged to ignore Wild Surges.
    Nahal's causes the next "valid" spell to surge, and will remain active until such a spell is cast.
    Nahal's is setup to not allow choosing sequencer or contingency spells in BG2EE.

I think the only reason for any of this is the "Area Effect" surge might crash the game when used by those spells, as they aren't intended for non-party members.
    Pokota
    Hmm... I should check redmine/patch notes to see if that disallowance been backported to BGEE. It's too exploity. I'll want to abuse it.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited October 2017

Hey, is there a discord server somewhere? If not, anyone interested in making one for beamdog/baldur's gate etc?

I made one a while ago, after Skype decided to die on everyone in Europe and thus the Skype group came to a grinding halt: https://discord.gg/aVnj5Ay
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
    tbone1JuliusBorisov
    kjeron said:

Pokota said:

Sequencer and contingency spells are flagged to ignore Wild Surges.
    Nahal's causes the next "valid" spell to surge, and will remain active until such a spell is cast.
    Nahal's is setup to not allow choosing sequencer or contingency spells in BG2EE.

I think the only reason for any of this is the "Area Effect" surge might crash the game when used by those spells, as they aren't intended for non-party members.
    Thought I read somewhere that they allowed wild surges on sequencers and contingencies in a recent patch, but I might be confusing it with someone's mod.
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    So a weapon with THAC0 +5 is actually a negative effect?
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    Why is there ++++ between Proficiencies and Fighting Style in information screen?
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

Why is there ++++ between Proficiencies and Fighting Style in information screen?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Must be a bug.
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    Redrake said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Must be a bug.
    I don't know why but it bugs the hell out of me. Must be the adhd in me. :D

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I have a Monk-only custom party, and the door to Shani in the Deepstone Clanhold seems to be unbashable, even with 25 strength. Is there any way through that door that doesn't require adding a party member?
  • bbgun21bbgun21 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2017
    How does lore work?

So far that I've read is that classes differ from one another for gaining lore on a level up, with Bards +10, Thieves and Mages +3 and everyone else +1.

Now what I don't understand is why does my Level 4 mage have only 22 lore with him having 18 INT (+10) and 13 WIS (+0) ???

Shouldn't it be +3 +10 on a level up? So seeing as how he is level 4 shouldn't it be +13 x 3 = 39 Lore?

Can anyone explain what I'm missing here? Info about lore from stats was taken from pihWiki:
    https://pihwiki.bgforge.net/Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats
  • bbgun21bbgun21 Member Posts: 16
    ronaldo said:

Only the 3 lore points are added each level. The 10 from you int. is a bonus added to what you get for your levels. So 3x4=12 + 10 from your intelligence =22 Your next level will be 3x5+10=25 Hope that helps.

It does, thanks friend.
    ronaldoJuliusBorisov
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2018
    Has anyone found a way to make the advanced AI work reliably for bards? I have "attack enemies" and "sing bard song" on and yet he does neither, or sometimes sings the song but doesn't attack when an enemy shows up.