Skip to content

What do you do for RP?

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
As the title suggests. Here are some of my examples...

Fortifying my Castle

Whenever I have the fighter fortress, I fortify the castle. Every NPC I don't want to take ends up being parked there. You'll see Wilson taking over what were the dog kennels, with Cernd standing beside him. Valygar will be the keep's ranger, operating out of the wooden fortress. Korgan and Anomen will be at the gates with weapon and shields, while Minsc stands behind them with a greatsword. On the walls will be Mazzy with her bow in hand, with Aerie next to her to rain down magical firepower.

Because money really isn't much of a concern, the NPCs can expect to be properly equipped with decent weapons and armor. I mean, this is *my* castle, right? I don't want someone casting protection from normal weapons and just walzting in, killing everyone.

Arming the Order

Paladins shouldn't be money hungry. They should be defenders of justice and protectors of the innocent. So what do you do with all of the artifacts you come across that your party has no use for? Easy. Bring them back to the order. There are containers in there. Stash those items away, so some young paladin can use them.

Found a Helm of Glory, which just isn't good enough for you? Some lvl1 paladin would weep tears of joy to wear that.

Crafted for yourself a suit of red dragon scale, complete with dragon scale shield, dragon scale helmet, and sword of dragon slaying? But the problem is that you found better armor, don't use longsword, don't use a shield, and found a better helmet? Give it to the order. The next time that a dragon attacks, there is going to be a traditional cavalier who could *really* use that equipment.

----------

Anyways, none of this helps you in any way. In fact, it means having alot less gold. But it *feels* right. Anyone else have things like this that they do?
ArctodusRavenslightJuliusBorisovThacoBellsemiticgoddessBelgarathMTHtbone1OrlonKronsteenAerakarAnduinEmpyrialEnilwynMortiannaRedRodentgorgonzolaArdul

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    TheElf said:

I often like to make my equipment fitting for my race/class in some way. E.g my halflings will never touch long swords or anything bigger, my Cavalier wore dragon scale armor and other elemental resistant equipment and fought sword and shield style (maybe he picked it up from your character at the Order) and so on. If it's a spellcaster, I usually make the school/deity influence my spell slots a lot too.

Most of my good characters make some enormous donations, like when they return to Candlekeep, so that money actually sometimes becomes tight for them.

Very nice. I like that!

I think that in my next BG2 run, when we come across Sir Ajantis and the knights, I'm going to donate exactly enough gold to have them all resurrected. It'll ease Charname's conscience, and bring back an NPC that I like.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteenAerakar
    Arctodus said:

When I play a paladin, I try to abide by original 2e rules for them : no stealing from my team, no lying to anybody, spare lives as much as I can, give thithe to the church regularly, but first and foremost, I respect the maximum number of magical items allowed. 4 weapons, 1 suit of magical armor, 1 shield and 4 misc items, including potions (potions of healing and antidotes don't count as magical though). You have to carefully chose which items you give to your paladin.

Example of consequences : in Beregost, I forbid Imoen to steal anything. So, no Stupifier or Algernon's Cloak for us. Then, I get the quest to kill Bassilus. We do so, but without lying to him. So, we have to kill him and his skeletons. Let say my paladin gets dominated and attacks his allies : he'll have to repent by fighting without his armor for two weeks. When we get back to the Temple in Beregost, I give a lot of money as donation. Etc... In this type of playthrough, you'll be missing some quests and items which makes the game more interesting (but not too much, because the BG saga is geared toward good charnames). In BG2 for instance, you'll never have the Crom Faeyr, because there's just no way you can sacrifice animals to Demogorgon.

I'm usually not much of a RPer, but I tend to make an exception for paladins; these restrictions make for a good RP game.

How do you handle the need to pick either vampires or thieves to work with?
    Ravenslighttbone1JuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Grum

So you beat somebody to death because you don't trust them?
    Is this a paladin thing?
    Or can anybody play?

How about canvessers for the various political parties?
    "Well your Honour, you have to understand, I don't trust politicians so of course they had it coming"

And this is why I have never ever played as a Paladin and never will.
    Ravenslighttbone1gorgonzola

@Grum

Is this a paladin thing?
    Or can anybody play?

"Well your Honour, you have to understand, I don't trust politicians so of course they had it coming"

A monk thing?

A monk who remembered him from BG1 advocating for the murder of a friend of his? A death still fresh in her mind?
    ThacoBellRavenslightRVNS
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Monks get the fighter stronghold then?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@Grum

Is this a paladin thing?
    Or can anybody play?

Its a good thing you don't then. If this is what you think Paladins do, you would be a TERRIBLE Paladin :wink:
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    In the theme @Ravenslight mentions with spell prep, I never prebuff, unless there is a reason to (i.e. the situation dictates it. If there's no present danger, no buffs. If we're approaching an enemy fort, some basic well-rounded buffs are probably a good idea).

I understand some may justify leaving the house requires layers of buffs, but for a core-rules player, it murders any challenge for me when I somehow magically know what buffs are needed for a specific foe unseen. BG does a great job of having us stumble upon assassins or throwing us into ambushes. I like to view buffing as a natural reaction vs. anticipating every conceivable scenario before it takes place.
    MortiannaRavenslight
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    ThacoBell said:

@Grum

Is this a paladin thing?
    Or can anybody play?

Its a good thing you don't then. If this is what you think Paladins do, you would be a TERRIBLE Paladin :wink:
    Well that was kind of the point.
    It was very interesting and impressive to read the RP choices, certainly more RP than I can manage.

And then that action stood out.

You can't justify beating somebody to death for such a spurious reason.
    So how does it fit with the rest?

But then look at how Keldorn behaves.

So forgive me, but when a person says "Paladin" my immediate translation is "hypocrite".

And yes I would be a terrible Paladin. I'd never bother to come up with an excuse to beat somebody to death, just get on and do it and instead say it was my evil twin called Imoen. :p

ThacoBell said:

@Grum

Is this a paladin thing?
    Or can anybody play?

Well that was kind of the point.
    It was very interesting and impressive to read the RP choices, certainly more RP than I can manage.

And then that action stood out.

You can't justify beating somebody to death for such a spurious reason.
    So how does it fit with the rest?

But then look at how Keldorn behaves.

So forgive me, but when a person says "Paladin" my immediate translation is "hypocrite".

And yes I would be a terrible Paladin. I'd never bother to come up with an excuse to beat somebody to death, just get on and do it and instead say it was my evil twin called Imoen. :p
    Again...I said monk...monks get fighter stronghold, not Paladins...
    profanitywarning
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    edited October 2017
    The first few times I played Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment were the most intuitively role-played stories. In Torment especially, with the alignment barometer pointing out the player's nature, I did what came naturally and ended up Chaotic Evil halfway through. :blush: I don't think I worried much about killing anyone or doing anything to gather all of the magic power in the game. I was a mage, of course. There was no question about it. Why would you want to be anything else, really? I wanted to know all of the secrets, explore all of the dungeons, visit every plane, join and leave all of the factions once they had nothing more to teach. I brought Ignus aboard so I could learn his fire spells, I coached Dakkon for his Zerth tablets.

Flying so fast, quite soon there was nowhere more to go. I wanted... an infinity. Then, afterwards, I enjoyed reasonably playing a thief, and in BG a female berserker (I'm a man), with the portrait and voice of one TV character I adored. Then there were some other types. And all of the times early on I did things like store letters, try to find new gems, and I read every book in the History of the North. I actually wanted to know the history of the North, although the Forgotten Realms setting has never impressed me. Too much magic too cheap, and silly gods. Early days, perhaps, with the Zhentil Keep and beholders... But later they messed it up completely. I wish there was a new Dragonlance game in Krynn. Now that would be the ticket. I wonder why they don't make one?

I still role-play, you might say, but as a modder I have to make the material for that myself. Some new approaches or different mechanics. Without, it's explored territory, pretend as we might otherwise.
    RavenslightRVNS
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I like to rest in the wilds without regen or healing spells so that it actually takes many days to recover after a big battle that left me bloodied. I play mostly solo nowadays, so even in BG1 with the buckler of regen (for dwarves I mean), I don't use it as much as I could.
    RavenslightRVNS
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    I don't do much in the way of roleplay. I do not buff for fights unless I scout it out before hand or have reason to believe it is dangerous. I think buffing before entering a dungeon is just smart for any experienced party. I do quests based on what my collective group would do, for example if I have Minsc and jaheira in the party in bg2 I address trademeet and umar hills first since they have a vested interest in that.
    I always play a good charname because I identify to much with my characters actions, killing innocents is something I just could not do. I have ended games just because I caught some poor innocent in a fireball radius, my thought being that my character would be so distraught it would drive him into depression and make him a pacifist to atone for his reckless action.
    EnilwynPermidion_StarkRavenslightgorgonzola
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In BG2 I usually bee-line for the npcs I want to keep long term and simply rotate the slot I leave open for Mr.S in ToB. Next time I run through, I think I may need to roleplay the quests that sound good to my charname first and just roll with the npcs as they come.
    RVNStbone1Ravenslight
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    @Elendar Now that is awesome.
    ThacoBellElendarPermidion_StarkRavenslight