Skip to content

Why do women play Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Almateria said:

Tresset said:

I think the real question is "Why don't more men and women play BG?"

It's an old, buggy game with a trite story and forgettable characters, and it's mechanics are incredibly dated and confusing at the same time. Hope This Helps
    It does rather help actually. It made me realize what kind of people don't like the game: People who don't like to think too hard and who only like the latest fad in flashy and vapid things. Seems like quite a lot of people fall into these categories these days, so in all honestly that does explain exactly why more people do not play the game. Thank you for your help!
    tbone1
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    *sigh* People, can we not descend into the usual "rabidly defend our beloved game from the troll (thereby giving him/her the exact level of attention that he/she desires)" faction?

Oh wait, I forgot...this is the internet. Of course we can't not do that. *eyeroll*
    ElrandirSkatan
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    How does this thread continue?

(Oh, I see what I did here...)
    SkatanAristillius
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    edited November 2015

Almateria said:

Tresset said:

It's an old, buggy game with a trite story and forgettable characters, and it's mechanics are incredibly dated and confusing at the same time. Hope This Helps
    I mean this in the most positive and supportive way but...

With such an apparently low opinion of the game, why are you even here at this forum?
    The world needs my mods to make BG2 better :3

e: Which! Doesn't mean! That I don't fully believe and support what I said in my previous post, here!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    dunbar said:

I've got an old, buggy body with outdated and confusing mechanics but both men and women still talk to me.

But WHY do women talk to you? I think we need to spend another 500 posts discussing this.
    ButtercheeseElrandirsemiticgoddessSkarose
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Tresset said:

Almateria said:

Tresset said:

It does rather help actually. It made me realize what kind of people don't like the game: People who don't like to think too hard and who only like the latest fad in flashy and vapid things. Seems like quite a lot of people fall into these categories these days, so in all honestly that does explain exactly why more people do not play the game. Thank you for your help!
    I'm glad I could be an assistance!
    Also, that's pretty much me, thinking is for nerds only, imo
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Almateria said:

The world needs my mods to make BG2 better :3

Really? What mods have you made? I've not played any of them that I am aware of. Maybe I am missing something.
  • HipercsigaHipercsiga Member Posts: 11

Anyway, no Thayan in his right mind would EVER under ANY circumstances let their hair grow out. Trust me on that one. On the flipside, Minsc being bald is a huuuuuge faux pas, too.
    big time.

Outside of Thay they might do if they want to hide their Thayan origins. Like spending their time in hiding from harpers, Zhentarim, Cowled wizards (Edwin), other Thayans (Edwin again), vengeful Rashemi witches (...aaand Edwin again), anyone with hatred for evil mages (Edwin time and again).

Thayans don't brush the side of idiotism in their pride. If they have to hide outside of the borders of Thay or avoid suspicion to reach their goals they are willing to grow out their hair for it. It takes a few minutes to get rid of it when needed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well this is an odd thread to get necro'd...
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    ThacoBell said:

Only one way to solve this, hoss!

[loads silly string grenades]

To the gazebo!

(This might be a rare case where my knack for derailing a thread is actually a good thing.
    TressetmlneveseThacoBell
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Turn undead! (Shines light beam from holy symbol onto thread.)
    mlneveseArctodusThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Unfortunately raised threads are immune to Turn Undead. In fact they feed on the divine energies to extend their unholy lifespan further!
    mlneveseZaghoulStummvonBordwehrBelgarathMTH
  • HipercsigaHipercsiga Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Not my fault this is the first beamdog thread coming up for Dmitra Frass in google. >.>
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Dmitra Frass?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What is happening here.

FWIW it's good etiquette to check the date of the last post in a thread, and ponder in your mind whether it's worth necroing a two-year-old topic.
    semiticgoddessButtercheese
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Is that actually a rule, though? If so, maybe a moderator should lock this thread, or move the offending post to a new thread. Or maybe the admins can create an auto-archive function that locks threads after 6 months of inactivity to avoid such breaches of the unwritten laws of forum etiquette in the future. ;)

Anyway, I'll answer the OP: Edwin openly wears Red Wizard livery, and I seem to remember he tells you that he's a Red Wizard (although I could be wrong on that front... it's been a while). If he does, then likelihood is he says the same thing to every armed mercenary he tries to poach. He's not doing a very good job of hiding his lineage, is he? ;)

My impression was that he's open about it because, like all Red Wizards, he's arrogant enough to believe nobody would dare do him any harm. And tbf, in a small mining village on the Amnian border, most people probably won't. He doesn't know you're the Chosen One, after all.

As for the hair... maybe he's used to having servants (or slaves) take care of that for him, and he hasn't had access to one for a while. Or something. I dunno... or maybe he's a disgraced RW trying to buy his way back into their good books by hunting the "Rashemite Witch".
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited October 2017
    @Squire No, it's not a rule. That's why I didn't say it's a rule, I said it is good etiquette.
    Buttercheese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    No problem necroing an old thread... actually it's nearly a tradition around here... I've seem threads from the beginning of the forum before the release of BGEE being necroed...

Anyway a thread is usually locked only if it gets so off topic that not even splitting it will save the thread or when there are so many rule breaking posts we see no way of the thread continuing without further rule breaking or when the OP is already breaking the forum rules...
    RavenslightsemiticgoddessThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Maybe no sandwiches need to be made so it gives the woman folk free time.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    mlnevese said:

Anyway a thread is usually locked only if it gets so off topic that not even splitting it will save the thread or when there are so many rule breaking posts we see no way of the thread continuing without further rule breaking or when the OP is already breaking the forum rules...

Challenge accepted!

All seriousness aside, my wife is a gamer but she doesn’t play BG because she doesn’t like the 2E rule restrictions. But she liked NWN, and we would regularly do multiplayer with the kids back in the day.

Ravenslightmlnevesebatoor
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Not to derail the thread by posting something on topic or anything… ;) But what first caught my attention was being told about the possible social interactions with fellow adventurers that you meet within the game. This prompted me take a look, many things made me stay.
    BelgarathMTHmlnevesetbone1Zaghoul
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    tbone1 said:

mlnevese said:

Challenge accepted!

All seriousness aside, my wife is a gamer but she doesn’t play BG because she doesn’t like the 2E rule restrictions. But she liked NWN, and we would regularly do multiplayer with the kids back in the day.

I think I have commented about this already but in my case my wife does not like controlling entire groups.. That's why we normally play ARPGs together only... or used to before the kids :)
    Ravenslighttbone1batoor
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Hipercsiga There is nothing wrong with a thread necro is it reinvigorates a discussion. This is just an odd example to me :smiley:
    mlneveseZaghoul
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited October 2017
    Maybe they're having a break from the kitchen or something?... : = )
    tbone1 said:

mlnevese said:

Challenge accepted!

This sounds great tbh. I never grew up around any typical ''gamer'' friendly families and a lot of the stigma around it just started disappearing in the last 10 years, well in my experience at least.
    FinneousPJSkatan
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i find it both weirdly saddening and hilarious that actual women come to this thread to actually give their perspective
This discussion has been closed.