Skip to content

2.0 update ETA?

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    fetito666 said:

So do I understand this correctly? Icewind Dale has received patch 2.4 on iOS, but not on Windows? D:

Yes, because otherwise it would have stopped working due to iOS 11 (IWD:EE was 32-bit and only 64-bit will work on the new OS). The good thing is, after getting BG:EE on iOS updated (and day now), the IWD:EE 2.4 patch on other platforms is the first thing on the list (if I'm not mistaken).
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    Shouldn't it go "pretty fast", considering they have the update on one platform? Bought IWD myself on PC, but awaiting the new patch before playing through too. ;)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Shouldn't it go "pretty fast", considering they have the update on one platform? Bought IWD myself on PC, but awaiting the new patch before playing through too. ;)

In theory, yes. But as I've said before, you would not believe the sh*t you see in multi-platform development. It's better than it used to be, I'll grant you, but still.

BrutaleBentThacoBellGreenWarlock
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovBrutaleBent
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @subtledoctor , our QA team has looked at your question and here is what they have to say:

The following file extensions are recognized in the game on iOS.

bg1character, bg2character, iwdcharacter
    bg1data, bg2data, iwddata
    bg1portrait, bg2portrait, iwdportrait
    bg1override, bg2override, iwdoverride
    bg1sounds, bg2sounds, iwdsounds
    bg1save, bg1mpsave, bg1bpsave, bg1mpbpsave,
    bg2save, bg2mpsave, bg2bpsave, bg2mpbpsave,
    iwdsave, iwdmpsave

These file types are split up into 6 types.
    *character - extracts to home:/characters
    *data - extracts to home:/
    *portrait - extracts to home:/portraits
    *override - extracts to home:/override
    *sounds - extracts to home:/sounds
    *save - extracts to home:/save, bpsave, mpsave, etc.

home:/ resolves to the writeable location inside the app.

This can get data in appropriate places, but the tlk files load out of the install:/ folder. We would need to add support for this directly to the engine.
    BrutaleBentStummvonBordwehr
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    So does that mean whole mod configurations (including tlk files) could be installed as DLC archives, as long as they are packed into *.bg1data, *.bg2data or *.iwddata files? On desktop systems home:/ is a valid DLC directory.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @argent77

We haven't tested it, but think that should work. Put your zip in a zip and rename it to .bg1data ;)

@subtledoctor

We're not sure we follow about people editing their tlk on iPad. Can you link us to more info?

Also when using these files, do not include any path info inside these zip files. Ex: If you zip up your override directory so inside the zip you see "override/test.itm", etc it will extract to home:/override/override/test.itm
    StummvonBordwehr
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited September 2017
    StummvonBordwehr
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @JuliusBorisov, @subtledoctor Also the extension .bg2sounds doesn't seem to work....
    I tried installing a custom sound set (taken from here) without success. I collected all the necessary .wav files in a folder, then I zipped that folder and finally renamed it to something.bg2sounds. I was given the option to import it into BG2:EE v2.4, but unfortunately the files are not used by the game (i.e., I am not given the option to choose my custom sound set during Character Creation or when trying modifying an existing character....)
    edited September 2017
    @JuliusBorisov, @subtledoctor, @argent77 Ok, another day another try.

I successfully installed a custom sound set (without subtitles!) following this procedure.
    1. Get a custom sound set (for example from this discussion).
    2. Unpack the archive and look for the folder sounds.
    3. Zip that folder (sounds.zip).
    4. Rename it to sounds.bg1/bg2/iwddata.
    5. Email it to yourself and you'll be given the option to import it in your game.
    6. At this point launch the app, load an existing game (or start a new one), select your PC and then: Record Screen -> Customize -> Sounds -> you should be able to select your new sound set.
    So, we can say that the extensions *.bg1data, *.bg2data and *.iwddata seem to put files in appropriate places..... Having said that, it is probably not possible to install custom sound sets with subtitles (it'd require the modification of the *.tlk file......)
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    edited September 2017
  • SardocSardoc Member Posts: 16
    Since eventually all the games will share the same engine, would it be possible to, for instance, introduce IWD spells to BG and vice versa?
    gugulug5000
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Sardoc said:

Since eventually all the games will share the same engine, would it be possible to, for instance, introduce IWD spells to BG and vice versa?

I wish they would use the old icons from the original IWD1 game for the spells, before they make them common.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    @subtledoctor If/when 2.0 finally release for IWD, does that mean that your must-use modpacks à la Might & Guile & SoB are straight away compatible with it?
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Alright, thanks. I was under the impression that you were waiting for version 2.0 of IWD to enable the latest features. I might be confused because my IWD installation had a much older version of your mods than my BG installation.
    edited October 2017
    @subtledoctor I simply wanted to say that I succeeded into overriding NPC portraits by using the extension override. For example, let's consider Xzar:

XZARL.bmp -> XZARL.zip -> XZARL.bg1override -> done.
    XZARM.bmp -> XZARM.zip -> XZARM.bg1override -> done.

We can say that the extensions *.bg1override, *.bg2override, *.iwdoverride put files in appropriate places.....

So, as far as I know, on iOS it's possible to:
    1. install custom portraits
    2. install custom sound sets (without subtitles)
    3. override NPC portraits
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited October 2017
    Luke93 said:

@subtledoctor I simply wanted to say that I succeeded into overriding NPC portraits by using the extension override. For example, let's consider Xzar:

We can say that the extensions *.bg1override, *.bg2override, *.iwdoverride put files in appropriate places.....

So, as far as I know, on iOS it's possible to:

1. install custom portraits
    2. install custom sound sets (without subtitles)
    3. override NPC portraits
    I'm curious, what exactly prevents Beamdog to make IE games fully moddable (including dialog.tlk) on mobile devices? Because I can't imagine any good excuse other than some sick limitations imposed by Google or Apple. I kinda feel sympathetic for @subtledoctor and all others for which mobile devices are the main (only?) source of playing IE games these days (for various of reasons - time, convenience etc.). For someone who finished these games dozen of times, inability to use mods is a real showstopper.

IMO providing means to fully mod all those games on mobile devices should be one of Beamdog's top priorities for 2.5 patch series.

Or if it's not possible (for technical or legal reasons) it should be at least clarified.
    Post edited by Cahir on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

I'll be honest, if that's all that's possible, then these games are worthless to me. Beamdog made versions of Baldur's Gate that can't be modded and they call them "Enhanced?" I mean, come on.

I honestly want my money back at this point.

Talk to Apple. This is part of their deal with iOS, for reasons only they know. They are loosening up certain things, and I can even see where they might provide a Terminal for the iPad at some point, but who knows.

StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403

Luke93 said:

Also, note, you made logical leap there, you only tested ".bg1override," not ".bg2override" or ".iwdoverride." There may be inconsistencies between games.

In my tests, using the exact same .zip file and only changing its extension, ".iwdportrait" worked while ".iwdoverride" failed. I don't have enough information to say why, however.
    Cahir said:

I'm curious, what exactly prevents Beamdog to make IE games fully moddable (including dialog.tlk) on mobile devices?

Nothing. If they have a facility to import files to /override or /portraits or /characters, there's no technical reason a .tlk file couldn't be imported to /lang.

Which, let's be very clear, is completely bass ackwards. The .tlk file is effectively a "read-only" bit of content. No harm can come from users adding text strings to the game. Whereas, right now, I can write a crazy .BCS script and import it into /override and cause the game to execute all manner of code not in its original executable. Which, if I understand correctly, is really what Apple wants to prevent.

So the inability to import .tlk files is utterly senseless.
    @subtledoctor your slowly taking my place as the miserable one who complains about how they do things and how unsupportive of there own products they actually are lol
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Hence my frustration on a pvp mod for ive been working for my friends and I yet no versions are the same so it makes a joke of claiming cross platform support.
    @subtledoctor You can also override BG2:EE NPC portraits, just tested (FYI, I'm on iOS 11.0.2):

NAERIEL.bmp -> NAERIEL.zip -> NAERIEL.bg2override
    NAERIEM.bmp -> NAERIEM.zip -> NAERIEM.bg2override

Anyway, this is all we know about the future of modding iOS versions:
    @JuliusBorisov said: ".....but the tlk files load out of the install:/ folder. We would need to add support for this directly to the engine." Perhaps something is in the works.......
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Nevermind me, just patiently waiting for the update so I can finally play IWD with a Shaman.

[Deleted User]Balrog99BelleSorciere
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have created a Feature Request "Make IE games fully moddable (including dialog.tlk) on mobile devices" https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32993
    DoubledimasStummvonBordwehrwsnavigator_Luke_