Skip to content

If you could change one thing about the Baldurs Gate games....

If you could change any one thing, what would it be?

Mine would be the addition of a better alignment/reputation system.
JuliusBorisov_Luke_kanisathaRavenslight[Deleted User]MortiannaMantis3710Bazza11KuronabatoorOrlonKronsteenEnilwynZaghoulEmpyrialO_BruceButtercheeselolienNoloir

Comments

• profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    I'd have them published EET-style and add lots and lots of small expansions/sequels periodically, some mod-like, others taking place right after TOB. There's just so much room for more stories in that world and so many opportunities to tie them into what's already there.
    RVNS[Deleted User]Permidion_Stark10Bazza11
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The world map location.
    And it should be as far away from the Sword Coast as possible.
    RVNS[Deleted User]lolien
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited October 2017
    I honestly would not change one thing. I actually never finished the Witcher, despite the fact tjat I loved it, because it was to long and to many options and to many things do to and... look Hairbrained have released Shadowrun Hong Kong and whats this Grim Dawn thing and...

I may sound like a total boot licker right now, but the game has endured for a reason. Modders cam fix the extra stuff...
    lroumen said:

Thief / druid multi and dual class.

YES!.. but as a mod.
    [Deleted User]sarevok57
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2017
    I would make it so that getting smuggled into the city during Chapter 7 in BG1 could actually useful (at least for parties that lacked a means of becoming invisible), by having actual flaming fist patrols that walk around the city (that would also confront you if you walked across the bridge). Similar (but not as extreme) to what I made in my Rough World mod.

Having said that this is my own personal thought and there are no plans to introduce this.
    [Deleted User]Permidion_StarkZaghoullolien
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Doors.

Portals are OK because "it's magic".

But those bloody doors that are somehow too small to let one person through but will quite happily (in fact, insist upon) accommodate your entire party.
    profanitywarningRVNS[Deleted User]lolien
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    lroumen said:

Thief / druid multi and dual class.

Druid/Mage dual and multi, ditto Ranger/Thief...
    [Deleted User]RVNS
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited October 2017
    Some good suggestions here on alignment, non-violence, & stat-checks. I would like some procedurally generated content, which would vary from game to game. For example traps could be in different locations, magic items would be somewhat randomised (and not so scattered around. Imagine having to use a -1 sword against undead because it's your only available magic weapon!), and monsters would spawn slightly differently from game to game. Not every quest would be available in every game, there might be a 10% chance that Sir Sarles isn't in town for example.
    RVNSEnilwyn
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

I’m torn between making BG1 sprites able to dual-wield and applying adherence to P&P rules wherever sensible and applicable.

I'm convinced that in twenty years time, when BG:EE:EE is launched, dual-wielding BG1 sprites will be the first fix they do.
    RVNSBalrog99
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I should perhaps have specified to make them able to *visually* dual-wield. Mechanically they already can in the EEs (not so in vanilla.)
    RVNS
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Whilst I agree with @scriver to a certain extent, wilderness meandering doesn't have to be about random "you have been waylaid by bandits" type encounters. There are plenty of interesting scripted encounters in BG1 (Rufie for example) and not all of them have to involve combat.

I just love the way that exploration allows the world to expand in front of you as you travel.

In contrast I really, really don't like the SoA instant gratification approach and in my head I refer to the City Gates as the Teleport Room.
    Permidion_StarkRVNSlolien
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    soft time limits (world changes as months pass by, generally for the worse - mainly bosses become more powerful and some quests become unavailable, or some positive resolutions become unattainable, and with a lack of story progress your followers lose morale...)

RVNSEnilwynZaghoulDragonKing
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    Making some of the non combat spells more useful. Come on who has ever used infravision. I am just playing a solo mage in IWD EE and even though I have used a bigger variety of spells then I normally would some are just plain useless.
    JoenSoRVNSOrlonKronsteen
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited October 2017

I should perhaps have specified to make them able to *visually* dual-wield. Mechanically they already can in the EEs (not so in vanilla.)

@AndreaColombo I'm not sure what this means - it looks to me like the sprites in the EE already dual-wield. I play on a PC though - is this a difference across platforms?

@10Bazza11 one of the nice things about SoD is that it does make use of infravision in some situations - I agree with your general point though that more could be done to promote the usefulness of some spells.

It would be nice to have the ability to make time pass in the game integrated into standard commands.
    RVNS
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Grond0 I was referring specifically to BG1 sprites; by default the sprites in the EEs are BG2’s.
    Grond0RVNS
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    One of two things for BG1: don’t show every melee fighter as left-handed, or allow us to assign kits.

Kivan should be an archer. Faldorn should be an avenger. Coran should be a swashbuckler not a fighter/thief. And so on.
    RVNS
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2017
    i agree about kivan and faldorn, but why should coran be a swashbuckler?

but actually it's more important to give branwen the priest of tempus kit, now that it exists (will be brought over from iwd in the future) ... because she's a priest of tempus by all accounts ("If Tempus wills it." etc.)
    tbone1OrlonKronsteenlolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

I'd change the plot of BG2 so that Imoen could stay with your party throughout. For me Baldur's Gate without Imoen isn't Baldur's Gate at all.

And keep Imoen a thief! She would dual class to mage only if the player built her that way, and it would have nothing to do with the plot.
    Permidion_StarkMontresor_SPOrlonKronsteen
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The wilderness wandering is GREAT the first time through in BG1. But after you know where all the interesting encounters are, and where nothing interesting is, BG1 loses a lot of its magic because of that. It goes from exploring the unknown, to actively wanting to skip parts of the game because nothing happens there. That's really the biggest reason BG1 lags behind BG2 for me.
    Elendartbone1O_BruceMortianna