Skip to content

If you could cast just ONE spell...

What would it be? It can be any spell from the IE games, cleric or druid or mage or innate, or even a spell that's not available to the player without EEKeeper or a mod.

You get to cast the spell once per day as if you were level 10, and it works just like it would in the original game (not in PnP). For the sake of argument, let's say you're picking the spell that would be most enjoyable for YOU personally, just so all you do-gooders out there won't feel obligated to pick Heal so you can cure diseases and be a big humanitarian and stuff.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Wish
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2017
    For roleplaying, Know Alignment or Detect Evil, but what is the point of knowing someone's alignment if you have no specific protection or attack spells to use alongside it? There are only so many items that carry such a bonus or malus.
    Maybe Non-Detection or Luck for thief/mages.

That narrows it down to Charm Person or Mammal, Slow, Disintegrate, Shadow Door, Polymorph Other, Sphere of Chaos, Prismatic Spray, Contagion or Dolorous Decay.

Hard to choose... I guess Sphere of Chaos...?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In real life?

Resurrection.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited November 2017
    Cast as a level 10 character, or cast as a level 10 spell?

Meaningful distinction that actually changes my answer.

As a level 10 character: Invisibility, as in the Infinity Engine. Even ten minutes of invisibility is enough to do some really neat stuff, and the IE gives some stupidly long invis time.
    As a level 10 spell: Secret Chest. Not that that's available but it's still the spell I'd want.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Sanctuary? You stay invisible even if you interact with someone, as long as you're gentle. Gross.

What? Being gentle is great!

You know, most of the time.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Shapechange. Much better than dieting...
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    From p&p locate key would be useful day to day. Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would free me from househunting.

From the game... Protection from Fire would would help me when cooking but Remove Fear would help me to deal with my wife (cast on self when arguing, cast on wife when she watches some scarifying news report about bird flu/ meteor strikes etc.)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    deltago said:

ThacoBell said:

deltago said:

Wish

Ah, but are you WISE enough? ;)
    Doesn't matter.

I wish for a million bucks.

Either I get a million dollars, or a million male deer will be herded through my city. Both are entertaining really.

Since it is a once per day spell, I can keep trying until I get it right.
    You might also buck like a bronco a million times uncontrollably, which might kill you.

Incidently, I'd go with Wish too for IE, or Miracle if not.

Cool fact about Wish, you can replicate other spells without it usually being a 'complicated' wish. Maybe just in 3.x?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The idea is to focus on spells from the IE games as they appear in the IE games, not in PnP. That way we don't have to worry about carrying around bat guano when we want to throw a Fireball, or spend thousands of dollars on onyx gems to cast Animate Dead, or go into a war zone to kill people so we could gather enough XP to cast another Wish spell.

Casting PnP spells has some pretty high costs.

Friends.

Doesn't help much if your charisma is 3... :p
    Mantis37 said:

From p&p locate key would be useful day to day. Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion would free me from househunting.

From the game... Protection from Fire would would help me when cooking but Remove Fear would help me to deal with my wife (cast on self when arguing, cast on wife when she watches some scarifying news report about bird flu/ meteor strikes etc.)

Locate 'remote' would be even more useful!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Time Stop or Haste for me. Leaning towards Time Stop.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Wondrous recall so I can recall all the times I was right.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Sleep.

Oh crap wait, that's kind of rapy.

Okay, Charm Person. Wait no, that's rapy as well.

Hold Person. Oh that's rapy too. Damn!

Invisibility? Creepy.

Sanctuary? You stay invisible even if you interact with someone, as long as you're gentle. Gross.

Farsight... super creepy.

Okay I don't want to play this game anymore... :(

It sucks being an honest guy these days, doesn’t it?

Friends.

Already streaming on Netflix.
    Heal. Not just for my own issues (statistically, i should be dead by now) but I’ve seen too many kds being wheeled around cancer hospitals to choose anything else.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If Resurrection also has the full heal effect on a living target, the choice is pretty clear. Regarding arcane spells any good teleport would be super useful in daily life.