Skip to content

Is Your D&D Character Rare?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited October 2017 in Off-Topic
I've stumbled across this article at https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-your-dd-character-rare/.

The most popular races and classes in ‘Dungeons & Dragons’
Class and race combinations per 100,000 characters that players created on D&D Beyond from Aug. 15 to Sept. 15, 2017

Gnome sorcerers are relatively rare :)
Arctodusdeltago[Deleted User]ZaghoulGreenWarlockAerakarsemiticgoddessAnduinStummvonBordwehrMirandellolienRAM021

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I don't see Medusa Cleric of Sune or Amethyst Dragon Bard on that list... Or even Ulitharid Psionic Archer...
    KamigoroshiAnduinlolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My D&D character is very lightly cooked indeed.
    JuliusBorisovtbone1lolienRAM021
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Humans? Popular?! That's it! These statistics are clearly forged!!

...and my character races aren't even listed there...
    God
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Half-orc Bard, pretty rare :)
    tbone1Zaghoul
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Citing 538 after the 2016 election?

GreenWarlock
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I didn't think Aasimar would be so rare for overall race selection :o
    ThacoBell
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Not too many halfling druids out there. Nice!
    ThacoBellZaghoul
    Not a single Kobold Ranger B)
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Yeah, humanoids are pretty rare for sure. Ain't a dadburn ogre nothin.
    ThacoBell
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    This data suggests people are frighteningly unimaginative.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Preface: I can't overstate how high-powered the overall campaign setting was. Some of general house rules were that you could stack +5 stats from Wish and +5 stats from Tomes for +10. Also that Bracers of Armor stacked with worn armor. 6000+ year old demigods would have been in the 150-400 level range, with the actual gods so powerful they were non-entities. Actual combat encountered NPCs would have been in the 50-60 range by the end of a campaign.

Also, "called shot" was a triple roll, with 2 rolls being in the upper half of the crit range and the third roll being a standard hit roll. So a crit range of 17-20 would need 2 rolls of 19+ plus a hit.

Immortals were the GMs interpretation of Highlander characters imported into the campaign setting. Incredibly high stats, and immortal. Not even physical disintegration kills them. They just eventually regenerate. Literally the only way to kill one was with a called shot decapitation.

Anyways.

No Pixies?

Hrm, guess that makes my Sainted Pixie Sorcerer/Thief/Gossamer Armiger/Some-Other-Prestige-class-I've-forgotten pretty rare. This character was designed to be a defensive powerhouse laying down most anything related to physical defense. The setting tended to be heavy on physical attacks, in strong part because of the power/necessity of the above called shots. By 30th (campaign setting mandatory character retirement level, after which they became NPCs with cameo appearances) I used house rules to stack up to 120 AC, with something like 90 Touch AC. GM said that 5,000 year old 120+ level Immortal characters (probably the most powerful thing that actually had known stats) would have had to roll to hit instead of just assuming guaranteed hits.

Although later my Pixie Wilder wound up being even more easily OP. It's like an even more free-form Sorcerer. The Perfect Artillery, capable of laying down so much elemental damage on the fly. So much. "What, it's immune to my 40d6 Fire Power I can use 30 times per day? Well fine, I'll just make it Cold. Oh, immune to that too, well the element is now Sonic."

And I was actually one of the least "strong" powergamer people in my group, since I rarely played the truly OP physically strong races such as (half)dragons, vampires, or Immortals.

Instead, I usually made literally generations of pixie sorc/thieves, so often that that became my group's general nickname for me. (In 4 RL years, probably about 500 years passed in setting).

That gaming group was proof that game balance and mechanics come second to good storytelling.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Dragonborn wizard/sorcerer.

Is anyone surprised at this point?
    ThacoBellVallmyrJuliusBorisov
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I am continually surprised that anyone would want to touch dragonborn with a ten foot pole.
    WarChiefZeke
    scriver said:

I am continually surprised that anyone would want to touch dragonborn with a ten foot pole.

Lewd!
    VallmyrsemiticgoddessscriverWarChiefZeke
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @scriver haters gone hate.
    ThacoBell
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    scriver said:

Agreed, what an ill thought out mess of a race that was, it's almost poetic that such an abomination came writhing out of the even greater cesspit that was The Forbidden Edition, the 4th.

My apologies if my opinion is different than yours.

The most rare PC type I have used in tabletop and gained some levels with was half orc druid. Which isn't even that rare.
    Fardragon
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Dragonborn aren't nearly that bad, and neither was 4th edition.
    Dragonborn are called such not because of dragons but because they're such a drag.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2017
    lol like half of my D&D characters are githzerai, they're not even on the list.

the most "common" race/class combo I play somewhat frequently is a human or elven bard (my go-to when I'm not allowed to be a gith), which is still pretty low on the list.

I also like halflings, because I too am short and cheerful

oh and one last thing, I'm actually surprised there were as many aarakocra as there were here. I don't think I've ever met a single person who's played one.
    scriverNimran
    @LadyEibhilinRhett

I also like halflings, because I too am short and cheerful

+1. When in doubt, always go Halfling. Always.

NimranThacoBell