Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• TarlonnielTarlonniel Member Posts: 13
    Yahoo!! I've only played the NWN base game once, but SoU and HotU are among my favorite expansions of all time. Get the doom song ready, Deekin - it's time to go adventuring again!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    As I stated prior, money to produce a new game needs to come from somewhere. What's good about NWN is that they can offer new premium content (or expansions) to the existing files to both get new content to those that want it and provide revenue to keep the lights on and @PhillipDaigle full of pizza.

A year and a half (roughly the time Gaider was hired) is not long enough to create a brand new campaign. If it did, I'd be iffy about the quality of the game being released.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    deltago said:

As I stated prior, money to produce a new game needs to come from somewhere.

They ought to be using Kickstarter, a la Obsidian. Not hoping a new game will bring revenue.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Kickstarters haven't done as well recently. Wasteland 3 and Pillars of Eternity 2 had fewer backers than the previous games.

And yet both of those still exceeded expectations.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    deltago said:

deltago said:

As I stated prior, money to produce a new game needs to come from somewhere.

They ought to be using Kickstarter, a la Obsidian. Not hoping a new game will bring revenue.

WotC will not allow Kickstarters for their IP.
    If it's original content, it doesn't need to be vetted or approved by WotC necessarily, does it? Original content doesn't have to be D&D-based. ;)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Because people expect a DnD Next product and hope that it comes from beamdog.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Why do people care if Beamdog releases a new game? There are companies that make new games, releasing new games. Beamdog makes EEs of old games, and releases those. Why isn't that good enough? Why not own the "EE" niche, as long as it's fun and profitable?

Because I've played those games, I don't want to play them again (and if I did, I wouldn't pay for them again).

With new content, like BG1and 2, I might be tempted, but otherwise, no chance.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell said:

I'm pretty sure they are currently working on it. Remember, earlier it was stated by BD that they were starting on 3 projects. A small, medium, and big. The patches for the existing ees are the small. NWN is the medium. And the new original game is the big and the reason for hiring Gaider.

So then where does PsT:EE fit in here? I counted it as: patches -small, PsT:EE - medium, new game - big. But now maybe: patches -small, PsT:EE - medium, NwNEE + other NwN related things - big, new game - pie in the sky.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    kanisatha said:

ThacoBell said:

I'm pretty sure they are currently working on it. Remember, earlier it was stated by BD that they were starting on 3 projects. A small, medium, and big. The patches for the existing ees are the small. NWN is the medium. And the new original game is the big and the reason for hiring Gaider.

So then where does PsT:EE fit in here? I counted it as: patches -small, PsT:EE - medium, new game - big. But now maybe: patches -small, PsT:EE - medium, NwNEE + other NwN related things - big, new game - pie in the sky.
    I reckon it is PST:EE (short term), NWN:EE (medium term), new game (long term) with patches belonging to continued maintenance.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Well, I liked the work they did on SoD. Sure it could use some refinement, but that's what constructive criticism is all about.

Maybe in the future, once WotSC lift their ban on new games&books we might get to see a new game made out of an adapted IE for 3E (re-named 5E nowadays). In other words, fingers crossed that the movie turns out to be a success.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

just let phil make his spelljamer game already.

Using IE plz :)
    Redrake said:

Well, I liked the work they did on SoD. Sure it could use some refinement, but that's what constructive criticism is all about.

Maybe in the future, once WotSC lift their ban on new games&books we might get to see a new game made out of an adapted IE for 3E (re-named 5E nowadays). In other words, fingers crossed that the movie turns out to be a success.

But there is really no need to involve Hasbro at all. The open licence on D20 means a D&Dish game could be made entirerly legally without involving any 3rd party licence holders.

And I, for one, would love a new setting, if not a new genre entierly.
    Fardragon said:

But there is really no need to involve Hasbro at all. The open licence on D20 means a D&Dish game could be made entirerly legally without involving any 3rd party licence holders.

And I, for one, would love a new setting, if not a new genre entierly.

YES! Exactly!

Why do people care if Beamdog releases a new game? There are companies that make new games, releasing new games. Beamdog makes EEs of old games, and releases those. Why isn't that good enough? Why not own the "EE" niche, as long as it's fun and profitable?

Because these aren't new games. They're updated of old games.
    Fardragon said:

The problem is not just the setting. The problem is that many things, like creatures, spells, classes and alike are trademarked.

And Forgotten Realms is off-limits for now. WotSC decreed so, as they are developing their movie set in Forgotten Realms. Until that movie is released (and if it is a success) everything based in Forgotten Realms, games and even books are put on hold. I think RA Salvatore's Hero book was the last book based in Forgotten Realms to be released. They even forced other authors like Erin Evans to close their series, because the Forgotten Realms setting is discontinued for the time being.

This is why I believe Beamdog trying to make a new game or a new add-on based in Forgotten Realms might lead to bigger issues for them.
    Nonsense. The trademarked creatures are well known, and Pathfinder gets by just fine without them. The Forgotten Realms is tired old hat, and a new game would be much better off without it.

Lets get rid of the Beholders and Owlbears. Better still, lets get rid of the elves and dwarves an all the GenricFantasyLand(TM) trappings as well. Lets replace them with some creativity!
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited November 2017
    Redrake said:

I think the new D&D movie Will end up like Warcraft. Unless they do something bold and creative, like have some trippy, metaphysical Planescape stuff.

Redrake said:

I think the new D&D movie Will end up like Warcraft. Unless they do something bold and creative, like have some trippy, metaphysical Planescape stuff.
    I definitely agree. All of the previous D&D movies turned out to be total disasters. WotSC are trying to buy a bag of donuts thinking that they are going to make a movie (they said they want something similar to Guardians of the Galaxy) which is going to be such a blockbuster that companies will stand in row for the honor of getting their hands on the 5E ruleset for videogames and the same for authors who are all going to be more than happy to return to the franchise they abandoned after WotSC killed their main characters when they made 4E.

Sarcastically speaking, placing all of their bets on Drizzt and Elminster for the past 10 years paid up, the franchise got ruined. Most of the good authors left, the ones who came after them with several exceptions where not up to par. As for games, it is more than obvious, after NWN2:SoZ got released in 2008, no company even considered touching 4E which was basically Harry Potter, World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings (the movie) moved to D&D. The writers of 4E even admitted they did not play PnP or read Forgotten Realms books, but they thought retroactive continuity of the old setting was the way to go.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I don't think people realize how long it takes to actually create a new setting from scratch.
    deltago said:

I don't think people realize how long it takes to actually create a new setting from scratch.

True. People in charge of 4E worked for it less than 6 months, destroying in effect work done over several years with 3E.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    @Redrake
    Redrake said:

Fardragon said:

And Forgotten Realms is off-limits for now. WotSC decreed so, as they are developing their movie set in Forgotten Realms . . . They even forced other authors like Erin Evans to close their series, because the Forgotten Realms setting is discontinued for the time being.

This is why I believe Beamdog trying to make a new game or a new add-on based in Forgotten Realms might lead to bigger issues for them.
    Where are you getting this information?

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Redrake said:

The problem with Warcraft is that WoW fans expected a WoW movie, and casual movie goers expected LOTR. Warcraft is neither of those things. I loved the movie though.

As for the D&D movies, I only ever watched the first one when it came out and..... It's not good.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Fardragon said:

Nonsense. The trademarked creatures are well known, and Pathfinder gets by just fine without them. The Forgotten Realms is tired old hat, and a new game would be much better off without it.

Lets get rid of the Beholders and Owlbears. Better still, lets get rid of the elves and dwarves an all the GenricFantasyLand(TM) trappings as well. Lets replace them with some creativity!

Meh. I like the Forgotten Realms. There is a region that has whatever setting you want to play -- want to play a Sumerian themed game? Egyptian? Medieval Spain? France? You can chose on or mix as you like -- like putting genies in the middle of Spain.

Niche settings like Ravenloft are fine but limiting, you can only have one sort of adventure.

Besides, now I want to see IE owlbear. I mean it's a bear and an OWL -- how kewl is that?