Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is announced!

Comments

• SalarianSalarian Member Posts: 8
    Just to confirm, Both the $19.99 and $39.99 editions of the game are Digital Only right? Or is there a Physical Disc to buy?
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    Salarian said:

Just to confirm, Both the $19.99 and $39.99 editions of the game are Digital Only right? Or is there a Physical Disc to buy?

digital only
    GodJuliusBorisov
  • SalarianSalarian Member Posts: 8
    aarionn said:

Salarian said:

digital only
    Great! Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I would buy Digital Delux Edition but only in terms of financial support. I'm waiting for Beamdog's own game, so this is how I want to support.
    Vixentrorikon
  • ArithonMArithonM Member Posts: 5
    Fantastic news! Made my day. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Is Digital Deluxe a good value? I’ve gotten soundtracks before and never listened to them. I guess it comes down to the modules and portraits for me.

Any chance the portraits would be available as DLC later?
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    bleusteel
    mlneveseThacoBellbleusteelMontresor_SP
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    edited November 2017
    Pokota said:

Going to stop you right there.

Actually no, you're not. I have a different expectation of what is enhanced than you obviously. You think it's enhanced when it can be played for the next 10 years on a system, the exact same as it was before. Except it isn't going to attract new players, just pacify old ones.

This is a simple safe cash grab, same as BG was. The only exception NWN isn't near the caliber of game as IE games and I doubt you'll be able to get it working on Tablets with the same usability since the controls/movement are worse. NWN2 is better in every way than this and it's been out for years.

To be clear, I'm happy for those who have sunk 10 years of their lives (including Beamdog developers) and want to continue to in NWN PW's, I don't know how many of them there are, but hopefully enough to warrant what it's costing.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @zenblack " You think it's enhanced when it can be played for the next 10 years on a system, the exact same as it was before."

Well no, it NOT the exact same. I cannot run it on my laptop without MAJOR unsolvable graphical problems. And just by reading this forum, I'm not the only one.
    StummvonBordwehrmf2112
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I still think Neverwinter Nights didn't need an EE; it's perfectly playable and enjoyable on modern systems without any witchcraft required. Regardless, it's still a nice thing. There's a whole lot of people out there who's never enjoyed the game that now will, and I feel happy for them.

The only reason I'd get it though (cause from what I understand the only difference is this is shinier) is the premium modules, which I've never played. And on that note; Witch's Wake. Is that one actually finished now, or is it still only chapter 1 as per the original?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    zenblack said:

Pokota said:

Actually no, you're not. I have a different expectation of what is enhanced than you obviously. You think it's enhanced when it can be played for the next 10 years on a system, the exact same as it was before. Except it isn't going to attract new players, just pacify old ones.
    We have an interesting saying where I'm from. "You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a pig."

If all they were to do were graphical enhancements...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Pokota said:

zenblack said:

Pokota said:

We have an interesting saying where I'm from. "You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a pig."

But now the pig looks fabulous!
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    Pokota said:

zenblack said:

Pokota said:

The saying over here is: 'All fur coat and no knickers.' I think the argument is that in the current climate both would be nice... :wink:
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I bet some would say it’s more like putting lipstick on a unicorn. Or how about, “icing on the cake.”
    tbone1
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I still think Neverwinter Nights didn't need an EE; it's perfectly playable and enjoyable on modern systems without any witchcraft required. Regardless, it's still a nice thing. There's a whole lot of people out there who's never enjoyed the game that now will, and I feel happy for them.

The only reason I'd get it though (cause from what I understand the only difference is this is shinier) is the premium modules, which I've never played. And on that note; Witch's Wake. Is that one actually finished now, or is it still only chapter 1 as per the original?

Thats kind of my point though. Its NOT perfectly playable. There are a ton of graphical and display glitches that just can't be fixed with mods or resolution finagling.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I personally do appreciate that these games get a system update and additional modding capabilities, but at this point I can't exactly blame those who interpret some of these EE releases as low-effort cash grabs. It can't be denied that from a player's perspective, each new EE title offers less and less new features to be excited about:

I'd lie if I said I wasn't at least a little bit disappointed that Beamdog doesn't do more with their recent EE titles. With NWN, they would've had the perfect opportunity to present it to a new generation by applying a sorely needed graphical remaster, with improved models and textures across all campaigns. NWN being a 3D game, they no longer have the excuse that the source files are missing, like with the IE games.

Vanilla NWN works fine for me as it is, but I will buy this, just to get access to the few official modules that have been unavailable to me in the past.
    Aedangugulug5000Kamigoroshi
    Cluas
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    The appropriate solution is to make new content and possibly even other improvements, like the graphical remaster I was suggesting, optional. The solution is not to stop adding new content and making improvements.
    gugulug5000Kamigoroshi
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2017
    Shandaxx said:

Usually I care more for a good story, interesting companions and their relationships and atmosphere.
    But those aren't the strong points of Neverwinter Nights...

I have Baldur's Gate for my favorite companions, Icewind Dale for the incredible atmosphere and Planescape for my favorite story.

I do have good memories of Hordes of the Underdark though.

Your summarization of what is the best in BG ID and Torment is great! I feel it just like that.
    NWN main campaign had its good moments - atmosphere and music in Neverwinter wood and in the city of Neverwinter, Aribeth (and her fate in HotU). But it is true that companions were bland and storyline as a whole quite weak. Greater graphic enhancement will be great, this game needs it more than IE games .
    Post edited by Cabal82 on
    [Deleted User]
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    I think the thing to remember about NWN is that the OCs were never it’s primary virtues. (Speaking personally, I played them exactly once and won’t again.) What made NWN special was its toolset, and the hundreds of innovative custom mods and stories that it made possible. The best of them were considered by many to be better than the OCs, and I think with good reason. Among other things they often experimented with game and story innovations that it was more difficult for the gaming companies to try.
    Notabarbiegirl
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    This is a very pleasant surprise, and makes me feel not so silly about making the query regarding the potential of a NWN:EE several years back!

As always, Beamdog, you can consider me on board for and full speed ahead on this adventure as well. Anything you do seems to be an instant hit for me, but that's beside the point!

Sad to hear that IWD2 is seemingly off the books, but hopefully the thoughts of getting back into NWN again at full capacity (and perhaps the potential of one day finally getting the followup modules (official or unofficial) for my beloved Witch's Wake) will be more than enough to fill the gaping void left in my heart by the absence of my beloved IWD2.

Once again, I hope you guys hit the ball out of the park and also once again, my bug testing/opinion giving services will be at your disposal.
    gugulug5000Notabarbiegirl
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2017
    Never played NWN 1, played pretty much everything else genre-wise, adored NWN2.

Still I feel like I might not like this one. Missing my 1st pre-order badge here, I guess.

Any insight to maybe change my mind? The game looks pretty ugly in 3D, I have no problem playing old-fart 2D games, but ugly 3D? Oh boy. Morrowind and Gothic are eye-candy compared to this.
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.