Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition FAQ

Comments

• EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    So I've got a question that may require a more nuanced or direct answer. Does Beamdog eventually plan on upgrading graphics/assets/etc. of content moving forward? Or is the goal to keep everything as is indefinite?

I understand they won't be touching any of the current content for compatibility/cost issues. I've already purchased the game, so I'm in one way or the other.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There hasn't been given any reply to your question, @Enilwyn . There will be a livestream today, maybe it's the best place to ask that kind of question.
    Enilwyn
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    @JuliusBorisov It might be something to bring up for clarification. There seems to be a lot of people clamoring for improved graphics without knowing the nature of what BD has to take into consideration.

I was actually a little surprised at how quickly I took to the graphics. The only thing I hate is the geometrical square/rectangle shape of all the environments. I am not sure that can be changed, so I'll learn to love it!
    BelleSorciere
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    @Enilwyn The first twitch stream mentioned this indirectly. There were no firm details (they didn't want to talk about it) but during the minimum requirements discussion they said the current content would be fine with very low spec hardware but future content would require beefier specs.

The take away from that would be that more modern looking assets will be a thing, it'd certainly tie into the development of more interesting shaders.

Hopefully it'll be discussed in more detail during the twitch later today.
    WarChiefZeke
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    the twitch was yesterday, any update?
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Enilwyn said:

@JuliusBorisov It might be something to bring up for clarification. There seems to be a lot of people clamoring for improved graphics without knowing the nature of what BD has to take into consideration.

Very true. Not every NWN player is/was a fan of multiplayer, some prefer solo runs with mods, and there are those who even like OC. As of now advertising is lost on them. I personally had to dig around to understand what is so good about that EE and why it is even called "Enhanced Edition".

May be a bit stronger accent on convenience of mods installment would help? Centralisation, support, addition of different platforms? As well as better presenting graphic enhancement - right now it looks like in video they forgot to turn on AA and picture is actually worse than the one people see in their old games.
    HunterRayder93RAM021IndiraLightfoot
  • WiperdWiperd Member Posts: 5
    Is it definitely not about mobile version or there is chance for it?
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2017
    Mirandel said:

Not every NWN player is/was a fan of multiplayer, some prefer solo runs with mods, and there are those who even like OC. As of now advertising is lost on them.

I'm one of those who prefer "solo runs with mods," and the advertising certainly isn't lost on me. I think their approach is spot on.
    HunterRayder93
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I can access Head Start, but how do I access the toolset? I don't see it in the Beamdog client. Is it only available with the Digital Deluxe version?
    RAM021
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    It's just the nwtoolset.exe under the installation folder within the Beamdog Library Directory. Should be located in the bin folder under a path something like this -
    C:\Users\[User Name]\Beamdog Library\00829\bin\win32
    semiticgoddess[Deleted User]RAM021
    Technical debt?
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

Technical debt?

Technical debt is a concept in programming that reflects the extra development work that arises when code that is easy to implement in the short run is used instead of applying the best overall solution.

Technical debt is commonly associated with extreme programming, especially in the context of refactoring. That is, it implies that restructuring existing code (refactoring) is required as part of the development process. Under this line of thinking refactoring is not only a result of poorly written code, but is also done based on an evolving understanding of a problem and the best way to solve that problem.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27913/technical-debt
    bug type etc? but also replacing property files?
    edited November 2017

Technical debt?

Technical debt is a concept in programming that reflects the extra development work that arises when code that is easy to implement in the short run is used instead of applying the best overall solution.

Technical debt is commonly associated with extreme programming, especially in the context of refactoring. That is, it implies that restructuring existing code (refactoring) is required as part of the development process. Under this line of thinking refactoring is not only a result of poorly written code, but is also done based on an evolving understanding of a problem and the best way to solve that problem.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27913/technical-debt
    Thanks. Here I was thinking about money for technicians...

EDIT: hold on. Do you actually mean that the final NWN was shipped with some half-baked code?
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19

EDIT: hold on. Do you actually mean that the final NWN was shipped with some half-baked code?

I think just about every game in existence has some somewhere. Especially as deadlines get closer people tend to write to the standard of "it works" rather than the most elegant or extensible solutions.
    Dark_Ansemmf2112
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    saramakos said:

I think just about every game in existence has some somewhere. Especially as deadlines get closer people tend to write to the standard of "it works" rather than the most elegant or extensible solutions.
    Not just games. I think about the code i’ve seen in production every time I need medical equipment used.

Dark_Ansemsaramakosmlnevese
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited December 2017
    I was wondering, how do you enable the debug console/activate it in game?

EDIT: nevermind, just put ## before your command in the chatbox
    RAM021JuliusBorisov
  • murmandamusmurmandamus Member Posts: 45
    I was wondering. I bought deluxe option but not head start. I guess i i need to wait for full release to play.
    Any ideas how long that could take? 2 months?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

I was wondering. I bought deluxe option but not head start. I guess i i need to wait for full release to play.
    Any ideas how long that could take? 2 months?

You can participate in the Head Start even with the Deluxe. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66994/installing-playing-the-head-start-version-of-nwn-ee#latest
    BelleSorciereJBDD
  • murmandamusmurmandamus Member Posts: 45
    Will final version include CEP or proj Q?

Will final version include CEP or proj Q?

Such questions are better to be asked during the livestreams. Right now, the answer is: No.
  • ZaowchenZaowchen Member Posts: 4
    is there a way to play modules from DE in the Headstart or no? cause I wanna try a few thingies :neutral:
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    @Zaowchen yes, all singleplayer and basic multiplayer (i.e. not PW) modules work in Headstart EE. If anything doesn't work, file a bug. You can even use any old DE saves you have.
    JuliusBorisovZaowchen
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Just looked at the actual FAQ and saw that what I need an answer isn't there. Can you either update the first post of page 1 of this thread or add to the FAQ instructions on upgrading from the standard edition to the digital deluxe please. I know it is something simple like emailing the support but I can't remember the actual email address or the full procedure.

TR
    JuliusBorisov
    Added it to the OP.

Anyway, you (and going forward, it'll be especially important) can find additional information during the livestreams and their recaps. Like https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67407/december-1-livestream-recap#latest in this case.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Thank you.

TR
    JuliusBorisov