Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11

Honestly, I'm a little put off by the need to use a special "client" for this. I mean, I get why Steam has a software client, they are a retailer and it's how they packaged their retail store. GOG uses the web for their storefront, which is why a client like GOG Galaxy is completely superfluous and I don't use it. But there too, at least it is a broad client encompassing many or all of their purchased games, in one place.

But is every developer to have their own little fiefdom in my /Applications directly? Are they reserving the right to, what, play their own ads before I can get to the software I've already purchased? Or worse, move to a model of software as a service - i.e. rental - rather than a purchase. Haven't kept up with your payments? Okay, now you lose access to your savegames.

A client is just a user-hostile layer of cruft interposed between players and the games they want to play. It's a move in the wrong direction.

Not necessarily user-hostile - the Beamdog client is simple but usable, for example.

Unfortunately, it seems like Beamdog are treating GOG players like second-class customers, at least when it comes to the beta, and I can't fathom why. At least we're getting the final version of the update, but what is the justification for leaving us out of the beta?
    Dev6
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Attention everyone testing BG:EE!

The beta does not include SoD. So please, if you have SoD, uninstall it and run only BG:EE (with the blue interface) in order to test BG:EE.

Please tell me it is being patched though.
    Kinda throws a wrench into the whole "we want all the versions to be the same," shtick if it isn't.
    kanisatha
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    deltago said:

The beta does not include SoD. So please, if you have SoD, uninstall it and run only BG:EE (with the blue interface) in order to test BG:EE.

Kinda throws a wrench into the whole "we want all the versions to be the same," shtick if it isn't.
    I think it might have something to do with there being actual news about SoD coming to tablets so I guess we get a separate (closed) beta of SoD 2.5.
    _Luke_
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    JBDD said:

Unfortunately, it seems like Beamdog are treating GOG players like second-class customers, at least when it comes to the beta, and I can't fathom why. At least we're getting the final version of the update, but what is the justification for leaving us out of the beta?

Since GOG makes companies jump through their own set of hoops before allowing beta, since their client is relatively new and, quite frankly, worse than others on the market. GOG has never been able to do betas due to not even having GOG Galaxy. I stopped purchasing content through GOG a while back so I don't know if they have addressed the problems with it to allow developers easy access to have betas.
    JBDD
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

StefanO said:

Still no luck.

As I said, the problem with the beta access through the Client may find its solution only when the office opens.
    It's alright ... We are used to waiting ...

*Ducks head down*
    SpaceInvaderGrammarsalad
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    deltago said:

Yes, SoD is being patched, you can track the progress of public tickets here: https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/bg-sod-bugs/roadmap#external-bugs-Next_Update

We'll have more to share about SoD in the new year.
    kanisatha
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Does this patch turn the game into a 64 bit version?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Awesome! thanks for the update Mr.Borisov
    JuliusBorisov
  • GynsburgheGynsburghe Member Posts: 60
    Still having problems accessing the betas through my Mac client. NWN is fine, but it did take a bit to appear. Maybe it will appear similarly?
    AstroBryGuy

Everyone, sorry for the delay in getting a beta through the Beamdog Client. The blog post is now updated.

To access betas through the Beamdog Client, please - first - go to the following store pages for a free download.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Afterwards, the 2.5 update beta should be available under the dropdown menu in the Beamdog Client!

"Download this to join the 2.5 update beta for". But I do not see anything. Is it available only if I sign in?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    rede9 said:

Everyone, sorry for the delay in getting a beta through the Beamdog Client. The blog post is now updated.

To access betas through the Beamdog Client, please - first - go to the following store pages for a free download.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Afterwards, the 2.5 update beta should be available under the dropdown menu in the Beamdog Client!

"Download this to join the 2.5 update beta for". But I do not see anything. Is it available only if I sign in?
    Yes, you need to sign in.

Still having problems accessing the betas through my Mac client. NWN is fine, but it did take a bit to appear. Maybe it will appear similarly?

For which game do you get the problem?
    All three of the other EEs besides NWN (choices appear until this title). Just not seeing the dropdown after download.
    ThacoBell
    edited December 2017

rede9 said:

Done it. But dropdown menu doesn't appear. I guess the beta is enabled in lots.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @JuliusBorisov Same as @Gynsburghe, I still can't download anything from the client and can see no dropdown, despite doing everything on the links you gave, and the website telling me they were added to my client.

I reinstalled the client, to make sure I was using the latest version, restarted my computer, still got nothing on the client, and tried the links again, got a message telling me that the beta was already provisioned for my account.

The dropdown menus do work for NWN:EE though.
    rede9AstroBryGuy
    edited December 2017
    Arunsun said:

@JuliusBorisov Same as @Gynsburghe, I still can't download anything from the client and can see no dropdown, despite doing everything on the links you gave, and the website telling me they were added to my client.

I reinstalled the client, to make sure I was using the latest version, restarted my computer, still got nothing on the client, and tried the links again, got a message telling me that the beta was already provisioned for my account.

You have spared me several tries.

• JBDDJBDD Member Posts: 11
    zenblack said:

JBDD said:

Since GOG makes companies jump through their own set of hoops before allowing beta, since their client is relatively new and, quite frankly, worse than others on the market. GOG has never been able to do betas due to not even having GOG Galaxy. I stopped purchasing content through GOG a while back so I don't know if they have addressed the problems with it to allow developers easy access to have betas.
    Sigh.. okay. As much as I want to support DRM-free games, this kind of issue, along with the fact that prices are often higher on GOG compared to Steam, is driving me away from buying games on GOG....
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2017
    Arunsun said:

@JuliusBorisov - Same for me with BG:EE and BG2:EE. I went to the website for provisioning, but still no dropdown in the Beamdog client. For IWD:EE, I have a beta dropdown, but the description calls it the "Private Beta", not the Public Beta.

Should we move these issues to the Beamdog client threads?

EDIT: I downloaded the "Private Beta" for IWD:EE, and it's a beta version of 1.4 :disappointed:. So, I'm having trouble accessing the beta for all three.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Beamdog Client has just picked up beta registrations for the remaining games I added two hours ago. :)
    rede9ThacoBellJuliusBorisovAstroBryGuy
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Mine have shown up, apparently it just takes some time.
    JuliusBorisovAstroBryGuyStefanO
    Glad that it's working for you, folks!
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493

Glad that it's working for you, folks!

Finally working for me. Thanks for making it happen.
    JuliusBorisov
    BG:EE and BG2:EE are working for me, but IWD:EE is still showing the Private Beta, not the public one.
    JuliusBorisov
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Looking at the dialog.tlk changes, I notice that a lot of spells have had their Area of Effect reduced (30-ft. radius => 15-ft. radius). These descriptions were wrong the whole time or did you nerf the spells?
    MERLANCERAM021
    lefreut said:

Looking at the dialog.tlk changes, I notice that a lot of spells have had their Area of Effect reduced (30-ft. radius => 15-ft. radius). These descriptions were wrong the whole time or did you nerf the spells?

This one is for @CamDawg
    @JuliusBorisov - The IWD:EE "Private Beta" I now have access to is v2.5.10. Is that the same as the Public Beta?
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
    I'm good now, downloading as I type! Thanks.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member Posts: 23
    @AstroBryGuy that is indeed the correct version, and I think you do have access to the public beta, since it replaced the private beta. There was a line of description text we missed removing during the transition that said it was the private beta, but if you reload the Beamdog Client that line should now be gone. As long as your dropdown says 'Beta' you have the right one.
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisovRAM021
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    At last it's working. I was getting desperate about my luck... So now, on top of NWN:EE I have BG(2):EE and IWD:EE to test. Thank you very much Beamdog, you just ruined my next two weeks of social life.
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisovCameronTofer