Skip to content

David Gaider on representation in games

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited December 2017 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2017
    I guess I have a question about this, hopefully it doesn't go down the Mizhena road, but I didn't really get any reasons as to why he felt diversity was necessary, other than the fact that it adds more interesting stories, which I can agree with. Can someone help me understand this? He mentioned something I liked, that you look at what you have, and look at where you can add diversity. Which means he is putting the story first and the message second, and that is the key to a lasting, resonating story, but I'm still at a loss as to why he feels it's necessary. @Shandaxx Maybe you could tell me why it matters to you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That's fine with me @Shandaxx, again, just an honest question, because I didn't really get a sense as to why it mattered in the article other than making a story more interesting. I'm genuinely curious about why people feel like diversity matters in video games. For me, as long as the story is good, I'm good. I don't really look for representation for myself in games, so I wanted to get some input about why other people might do it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    O_Bruce said:

I would rather have him focus on writing good characters and story than on representation checklist. I hope he understands what is more important in writing.

It can be both however, especially when a name like Gaider is involved. A key phrase in my response above is "when done properly."

You have to remember, in videogames, especially RPGs, there is already a checklist that developers need to follow. Choice needs to be given to the player. That is expected. There needs to be a good rotation of characters the player can choose from when venturing forth.

Those characters should be diverse, to allow conflict to settle into the story to make it more believable. It also gives choice. If you had 20 characters a player could choose from, but they are share the same characteristics, the writing would not be as immersive and compelling if they were all different.

So writers have a checklist.
    "We need 8-10 characters the player can take with them." (checkbox #1)
    There should be at least 2 characters to fill the same role (spellcaster, rogue, tank) to give choice when filling that role.(checkbox #2)
    Once those two criteria are filled, it's the job of the writers to take the establish lore and canon of the setting and make them fit into it. (Checkbox #3)
    Once a rough character sketch is done (this is a mage from Thay) it is the writers job to add different characteristics to this character that makes them unique, less generic and hopefully doesn't follow stereotypes when doing so.
    (checkbox #4).
    Once all the characters are established, is there a characteristic that we missed that we want included to add diversity (remember the more diverse, the more people relate to and immerse themselves into a story). If so, is there a character we can change to give that characteristic to? If so rewrite the character (checkbox #5)

As long as writers don't start at #5 (this leads to stereotypes first, instead of unique characters), a writer can have a well written diverse cast.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @deltago Maybe I'll put it in that way: it's ok, as long as the writer isn't pandering for the sake of pandering.

Plus, I can guarantee that I hardly ever see anyone remotely similar to me in any media (and no - race and sex doesn't count.) That doesn't prevent me from immersing into the story, liking or relating to characters in such media. I would even say it takes a level of narcism to not being able to relate unless viewer sees himself/herself in the media.

I am not entitled to the representation and neither is anyone here.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shandaxx Nothing in paricular as for now. My statement is how I generally think about writers and diversity. Also, just in case, please don't interpret it as some kind of attack towards @David_Gaider or any forumite out there, becase it is not.
    @BelleSorciere I agree and disagree at the same time.

For me, sex, sexual orientation or race on character doesn't matter, because these are traits that no one has any influence over. I won't be proud because of accidental non-accomplisment of being born with particular race, sex or sexual orientation. Instead, what I believe truly matters and what should have huge ammount diversity is characters' history, worldview, ideology, decisions, personality, skills, philosophy, character quirks and so on. I agree that diversity can add to the story, but on traits that actually matters. I wouldn't think of a character or person any less because of their race or sex, I would care about what traits those characters represents.

@Shandaxx
    I know you were answering to @Chidojuan , but forgive me for saying some things. First of your points kinda explains why it [representation] matters, but on the other hand I want to mention something. Sure, seeing homosexual character in media can make you feel better about yourself, but it doesn't change anything in the long run. What you say is short-term solution and until you work on your self-esteem the problem can, and probably will come back.

Your two other examples are similar in nature and tied to the first. I geniuely recommend you to work on your self-esteem as it will only help you in the long run. That's coming from the guy whos' self-esteem was extremely low just few years ago.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited December 2017
    O_Bruce said:

@BelleSorciere I agree and disagree at the same time.

For me, sex, sexual orientation or race on character doesn't matter, because these are traits that no one has any influence over. I won't be proud because of accidental non-accomplisment of being born with particular race, sex or sexual orientation. Instead, what I believe truly matters and what should have huge ammount diversity is characters' history, worldview, ideology, decisions, personality, skills, philosophy, character quirks and so on. I agree that diversity can add to the story, but on traits that actually matters. I wouldn't think of a character or person any less because of their race or sex, I would care about what traits those characters represents.

Sex, sexual orientation, and race matter a lot. It has nothing to do with choice or lack thereof, and it has a lot to do with how people are treated because of their sex, sexual orientation, race, gender identity, culture, presence or absence of disability, etc. Representation for women, racial minorities, LGBT people etc. matters because of how such people are treated in general. Sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. are real things that have a real impact, and taking time to not engage in those things is meaningful, which is why representation is meaningful.

It's easy for you, as (I assume) someone who is widely represented in media in non-stereotypical ways, in respectful ways, to say representation doesn't matter, but you're not looking at this from anyone else's perspective. You haven't had to deal with a media that either a) doesn't show people like you at all, or b) shows people like you in predominantly negative or stereotyped ways. If you want an example of one thing that's problematic look up "bury your gays." It's hard when the people you see who are like you in the media almost invariably come to a bad end, often for terrible reasons.

It doesn't matter whether you wouldn't think of a character or person any less because of their race or sex because a heck of a lot of people do think less of people for those reasons. In fact, it's all the more reason for someone like you to speak up when it happens.
  • SilmarilNaroSilmarilNaro Member Posts: 17
    I feel like the only time I feel a need to question diversity is when a world seems like one that does not have even a faint nod to cosmopolitanism that would result in migration. Most modern settings do that - I expect migration in Faerûn, I expect it in Dragon Age, though I don't expect it in Game of Thrones or Tolkien. Tolkien however is an older canon - older than even Dungeons and Dragons.

But I believe David Gaider has said the most important aspect of diversity - if your character is an interesting person with an interesting story that just happens to be PoC or gay or trans, then it's a good character. A Diverse Character™ however who is always "I'm Diverse! See how Diverse I am? See my Diversity! Did I mention how Diverse I am?" is annoying.
    @BelleSorciere
    I think you give much more meaning than necessary to the given traits. That's a shame. Why the hell would anyone judge other by they actual merit as a human beings, instead focusing on race or sex? Only such a morons as myself.

Yes, I'm represented in respectful and flattering manner in media all the time. It's not like no one from my race ever was depicted in fiction as murderer, traitor, thief, sadist, burglar, rapist, rasist, con artist, serial killer, corrupt politician, idiot, butt mankey, coward or psychopath. Not at all. Only respectful potrayals I can be proud of... Oh wait. It happens a lot. Is your argument valid, then?

Also, don't ever use argumentation like "you haven't xxx therefore you can't yyy". It's just bad and it makes you look as if you haven't have anything of a value to say.

And yes, I was stereothyped based on my nationality. Thank you very much, but I don't think I am entitled to representation based on that. Not that you care - I'm not trans or homosexual after all.

But I believe David Gaider has said the most important aspect of diversity - if your character is an interesting person with an interesting story that just happens to be PoC or gay or trans, then it's a good character. A Diverse Character™ however who is always "I'm Diverse! See how Diverse I am? See my Diversity! Did I mention how Diverse I am?" is annoying.

I wish I stated my first post like that. It would prevent all this pointless talk. Thank you for stating that.
    edited December 2017
    I guess I'll condense it: You can say that these things shouldn't matter until you're blue in the face, but the reality is that they matter for a heck of a lot of people, and someone like David Gaider who takes that into account is likely to get such people as fans of his inclusive work. That people who pay attention to this are virtually guaranteed to get mileage out of it and people who don't, for whatever reason, won't.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @O_Bruce Have you played Dragon Age: Inquisition? Remember Dorian? Would he be the same character if his orientation was changed? If it didn't matter, his character arc wouldn't be so heavily affected by removing/changing it.
    @David_Gaider Makes perfect sense. I hope you don't feel like I was calling you out, I was genuinely trying to get a sense of why diversity is important to you and others on this forum. I appreciate that you, as an excellent writer in my opinion, are willing to look at adding something that enhances a story rather than just checking a diversity box.

@Shandaxx Thank you for sharing that, I can definitely get behind your point on escapism as well.

@SilmarilNaro Well said my forum brother. This is why tokenizing diverse characters can be super annoying.
    @BelleSorciere
    If there are many people who are utterly okay with their defining trait being those that they have no influence over, then so be it. It's their choice. It's wrong one to make, as I think they'll only continue to see people (and worse - themselves) in such limited way, but it's their choice to make.

I'm glad that you mentioned objectification, because it's often has two sides to it: one is geniuely presenting a female as an sexual object and nothing more, which is wrong (kinda like seeing people only for their race or sex, I might add). Second side is stupid people assuming being sexually attractive is wrong. It generally depends on the indicvidual case.

Anyways, while I can see some validity in your examples, women is not one of them. I'm pretty sure discrimination based on gender is against the law in western civilization and examples of sexism are that of inviduals. The victim can do something about each invidual case and this is actual way of combating sexism. Also, it's not like women are the only gender that is treated unfairly in media. Men, after all, are utilities that are expendable. If man does not contribute, he is useless and thrown away.

Oh, I have not attacked you. My remark was because of things like this:

As far as your nationality goes, I don't know what that is. That's not really relevant, though, as everyone is stereotyped eventually..

Or this:

@

It's easy for you, as (I assume) someone who is widely represented in media in non-stereotypical ways, in respectful ways, to say representation doesn't matter, but you're not looking at this from anyone else's perspective.

Because, apparently, my opinion is worth less, because of my perspective alone. Somehow.

You can have your representation, sure. If people needs it so much, then so be it. Just, when this happens, I would like to see more characters like Dorian (thanks, @ThacoBell ) instead of "I AM SO DIVERSE! SO DIVERSE! SENPAI NOTICED ME!"). That's all I ask, quality of writing before anything else, be it representation for the single sake representation or politics.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    So race and sex matter now?
    Or they don't?

Wish people would make up their minds.

@Shandaxx

The example of the Marianne quest.

It would be utterly ridiculous in context what you suggest.
    Quasi medievil world, small village, monsters all around.
    Yep totally believable that men/women have equality, not immersion breaking at all. Never ever would occur for somebody to say "you're a man, get out there and look for him".

The only way you can break any "rules" is when "rules" exist.
    BG got it right, they gave out the guff about women/men being equal in the realms and then promptly set the game in a setting where they weren't with a few exceptions.

Push the absence of "rules" too much and you end up with nothing being believable and nothing resonating. No framework to work with or against.

Edwin having the sex change, nothing to laugh about here people, move along, no banter, no jokes.
    Hmmm, and where have we seen that?

Shandaxx said:

While I agree with that to a certain extent I do see one problem here.

Who decides whether a character is the former or the latter?

I think there is some people who take every single "diverse" character as being shoved in their face, but that just seems reactionary. One has to be discerning and see if a character is written with more to them than just their "diversity" factor, and then decide one's thoughts on them.

And honestly? It is up to each individual to decide that for themselves and then for fan communities to collate those opinions to get an idea of the prevalent opinion.
    ThacoBell said:

@O_Bruce Have you played Dragon Age: Inquisition? Remember Dorian?

Dorian is an excellent example of showing a great character with a minority characteristic that is a part of his story, and making it feel like a fully fleshed-out character.

I would also mention that Vivienne has one characteristic that is a Real Life minority characteristic (at least in America) that has absolutely no effect on her story (she's black), and another in-story one (mage) that is relevant.

There are multiple ways of doing diverse well, and it's not always ignoring those characteristics either.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @UnderstandMouseMagic We have both men and women as part of the highest authority shown in game though (the Grand Dukes anyone?). In light of that, saying that Baldur's Gate was crafted specifically to keep men/women unequal kinda falls apart.
    And to be fair plenty of men ask charname to do stuff. Why is it only this specific case that would get the "be a man and do it yourself" response?