Skip to content

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC) for BG:EE (and BGT and EET) - Download

jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
edited September 2022 in BG:EE Mods
NTotSC for BGT, BG:EE, and EET

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC) adds several quests to the BG1 part (with TotSC) to the game. Some are minor encounters with no further impact, but some are larger quests that are also partly connected to each other.

This is a BGT, BG:EE, and EET version of the original mod. As of version 2.0, NTotSC is no longer dependent on DSotSC. If you want to play the two mods together, install DSotSC first. The versions supported are:
-for BGT/EET: Version at SHS
-for BG:EE: version by Red Carnelian (this mod is still beta, too).

To reach the new areas via worldmap, you need to install BP-BGT-worldmap for BGT after NTotSC and start a new game. For BG:EE, this is no longer needed, thank you to AstroBryGuy for providing the worldmap tweak!

Since v2.0, the quests are less restrictive in their order, especially in the order of when to talk to whom, in the sense of no dead ends because a quest character was talked to too early. The only restrictions remaining are: The Northern Citadel Quest will be handed out from Duke Eltan when he summons the PC in the original game. The Temple of the Black Hand will only be revealed after the demon in Ulgoth's Beard is defeated.
All other quests can either be "walked into", received from multiple persons (e.g. "The Field of the Dead"), or received by killing the quest giver instead of going on his fedex quest (e.g. the Ice Slamander or Eldod - they will have the appropriate keys on them.) Also, the mod now uses the prefix "NT". The package comes with a detailed list of Changes including altered variable names. If your mod has crossmod content with NTotSC and you are nervous about the changes, let me know and I will help you concerning compatibility with v2.1.0.

Test reports welcome! I tested myself on all platforms but there is always something one pair of eyes will miss.

Visit the Forum
Read the Readme
Official download at SHS
Official NTotSC GitHub Mirror

Read review from @Caedwyr on NTotSC (v2.x)
Post edited by jastey on
JuliusBorisovStefanOmodestvoltalolienmarkzakuStummvonBordwehrfluke13ZaghoulFina92ramitl1942mch202

Comments

• StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited October 2017
    I found two problems while installing NTotSC on a Mac:
    1. The binaries found in the bin/osx folder are not marked as executables.
    2. These binaries are not called by WeiDu correctly. For some reason they are called with the path bin/osx/amd64 for the first component and /bin/osx/x86 for the other component.
    Both problems can be fixed by changing lines 48:49 of NTofSC.tp2 to

AT_NOW ~chmod +x %MOD_FOLDER%/bin/%WEIDU_OS%/tileconv~ EXACT AT_NOW ~chmod +x %MOD_FOLDER%/bin/%WEIDU_OS%/tile2ee~ EXACT

edited October 2017
    Another issue.

Both NTofSC and bp-bgt-worldmap report near the end of the installation

NTotSC/language/english/prompts.tra file not found. Skipping...
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thank you very much! Your fix for Mac installation is included in the repository.
    I only have Windows so I couldn't test the other OS versions.

Regarding prompts.tra: I see (now) that the file is missing, but I don't find the report in my DEBUG. That's weird. I'll comment the tra files for now - it would be WeiDU prompts, or is it for something more complex?
    edited October 2017
    Near the end of my setup-bp-bgt-worldmap.debug the message is found.

[NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2] parsed NTotSC/language/english/prompts.tra file not found. Skipping... [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] parsed [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] has 352 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] parsed [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] has 110 translation strings [SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2] parsed [bp-bgt_worldmap/language/english/worldmap.tra] parsed [bp-bgt_worldmap/language/english/worldmap.tra] has 153 translation strings SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Worldmap for Baldur's Gate - including colored Baldur's Gate map icons

Same for setup-ntotsc.debug:

NTotSC/language/english/prompts.tra file not found. Skipping... [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] parsed [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] has 352 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] parsed [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] has 110 translation strings 129407 characters, 1061 entries added to DIALOG.TLK [./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk] created, 107898 string entries SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC)

The attached file contains both debug files.
    edited October 2017
    Mine look different:

NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 0 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 1 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 2 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 3 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 4 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 5 Installed NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 6 Installed SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Worldmap for Baldur's Gate - including colored Baldur's Gate map icons~ [bg2fixpack/languages/english/setup.tra] has 147 translation strings [bgt/language/english/prompts.tra] has 85 translation strings [bgt/language/english/setup.tra] has 82 translation strings [bgt/language/english/dialog.tra] has 113 translation strings [bgt/language/english/journal.tra] has 319 translation strings [bgt/language/english/scripts.tra] has 22 translation strings [infinityanimations/english/setup.tra] has 186 translation strings [cdtweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra] has 14 translation strings [cdtweaks/languages/english/setup.tra] has 1009 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] has 352 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] has 110 translation strings [bp-bgt_worldmap/language/english/worldmap.tra] has 153 translation strings SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Worldmap for Baldur's Gate - including colored Baldur's Gate map icons

NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC)~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 1 Installed ~Keelor the Dwarf~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 2 Installed ~Llindellyn's Lucky Arrow~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 3 Installed ~Nim Furlwing's Hunting Hounds~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 4 Installed ~Pilar and Gheldehar~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 5 Installed ~Svlast's Torment~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 6 Installed ~Will O'Hara NPC~ [bg2fixpack/languages/english/setup.tra] has 147 translation strings [bgt/language/english/prompts.tra] has 85 translation strings [bgt/language/english/setup.tra] has 82 translation strings [bgt/language/english/dialog.tra] has 113 translation strings [bgt/language/english/journal.tra] has 319 translation strings [bgt/language/english/scripts.tra] has 22 translation strings [infinityanimations/english/setup.tra] has 186 translation strings [cdtweaks/languages/english/description_updates.tra] has 14 translation strings [cdtweaks/languages/english/setup.tra] has 1009 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] has 352 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] has 110 translation strings SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC)
    Is this a Windows thing or is it something I can influence?

As for the prompts.tra - it is indeed a missing file, so I will comment it. It's just weird I don't get a message about it (I triple checked whether I am looking at the right file.) EDIT: Done.

edited October 2017
    Maybe the difference is: I‘m modding BG:EE and you probably BGT!?

If the file isn‘t used in BGT it is probably not needed in BG:EE and the error message is a cosmetic issue.
    edited November 2017
    BG:EE:
    Saving This Log: NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC)~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 1 Installed ~Keelor the Dwarf~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 2 Installed ~Llindellyn's Lucky Arrow~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 3 Installed ~Nim Furlwing's Hunting Hounds~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 4 Installed ~Pilar and Gheldehar~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 5 Installed ~Svlast's Torment~ NTOTSC/NTOTSC.TP2 0 6 Installed ~Will O'Hara NPC~ [NTotSC/language/english/setup.tra] has 352 translation strings [NTotSC/language/english/journal.tra] has 110 translation strings SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (NTotSC)
    I guess the differences in our DEBUG structure is something obvious but I just don't know it yet. EDIT: This remark was not meant sarcastically!
    Thank you very much for reporting!
    Post edited by jastey on
    For EE(T), the German install would crash on the worldmap. This is fixed now.
    Following fixes were done since the initial release:
    • BG:EE+EET German version should no longer crash on worldmap
    • The German install now uses German titles during install (the component titles weren't externalised into the setup.tra)
    • One new line added to Haeball so he doesn't talk about several things if PC had only quest for one
    • Tweaked the Firewine Bridge Dungeon entrance script so the PC sees the warning about the waiting monsters if area was entered with Nib's scroll the first time (plus added a note about the usefulness of a cleric.)
    • Ordolath didn't take his candle if PC told about mage in his house, now takes his candle for all reply options
    • Corrections of Will's portrait (Some portraits were in png format, changed to bmp. BGT: changed "large" portrait to "willym.bmp")
    • Corrected variable handling in shaell.d (Setting of original game variable "HelpShaella" was patched to false dialogue state/ reply option (probably without impact while playing))
    • There is no prompts.tra so the call was commented in the tp2
    • Fixed install problem on Mac (Binaries found in the bin/osx folder were not marked as executables and not called by WeiDu correctly. Both fixed by changing lines 48:49 of NTofSC.tp2)
    StefanOmodestvoltaAedan
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Hi @Jastey - Would you be interested in making the Worldmap additions available to BGEE without BP-BGT-Worldmap?

I made a few tweaks to the code to allow modding the BGEE Worldmap. To make a little room, I added some code to move Ulgoth's Beard (AR1000) to its proper location west of Baldur's Gate. I also moved the Farmland area (AR0400) a bit south down the Chiontar, closer to Wyrm's Crossing. That opened up some room for the NotSC areas in the northeast of the Worldmap (except the Northern Coast, which is on the Coast, north of Ulgoth's Beard). Finally, I did not add any map icons. All the NotSC areas just reuse existing icons.

A render of the modded worldmap in Near Infinity is in the spoiler tags below.

lolienStefanO
    This looks really great! Would it still be compatible with the worldmap mod in case a player would like to / does install it?
    edited November 2017
    Yes, it should be compatible with the BGT-Worldmap mod. I didn't edit any of the section that puts files in the Worldmap mod directory. It is handled in the same manner you already use for for EET: an extra ACTION_IF block conditioned on GAME_IS ~bgee~ that calls ADD_WORLDMAP_TBL. I made new bgee_areas.tbl and bgee_links.tbl files, so I didn't edit your existing areas.tbl or links.tbl files.
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee~ BEGIN
    	INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/lib/add_worldmap_tbl.tpa~
    	LAF ADD_WORLDMAP_TBL
    		INT_VAR
    		verbose = 1
    		inclSv = 0
    		STR_VAR
    		path_to_areas = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Worldmap/bgee/bgee_areas.tbl~
    		path_to_areas_bp = ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Worldmap/areas.tbl~
    		path_to_links = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Worldmap/bgee/bgee_links.tbl~
    		path_to_trans = EVAL ~%MOD_FOLDER%/language/%LANGUAGE%/worldmap.tra~
    	END
    END
    EDIT: If you want to review the changes this makes, here's the commit on my NTotSC fork:

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NTotSC/commit/0a22291ddc436eea0da852286a5c3d23b40f392f
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    The point with BGT worldmap in some other cases wasn't the technical side but the positions of the areas from the various mods - in this area specifically it would be SoD, DSotSC, NTotSC positioning.
    This is how it looks in my current EET install (still using the NTotSC-interim, but I guess area coordinates have not changed?):
    (Picture taken from NI to have areas identified easily)
    @PaulaMigrate - I'm not suggesting to end support for BGT Worldmap. I’m only offering a way to make an option available for those who don’t want to install it or EET. If Jastey wants to break it out as a separate, optional component, I’ll even offer to code it up that way.

@PaulaMigrate - I'm not suggesting to end support for BGT Worldmap. I’m only offering a way to make an option available for those who don’t want to install it or EET. If Jastey wants to break it out as a separate, optional component, I’ll even offer to code it up that way.

Sorry, my mistake, I forgot that in the vanilla stand alone games there are separate worldmaps for the campaigns. I am so much used to EET and the single map for the whole trilogy that I forgot about that.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270

EDIT: If you want to review the changes this makes, here's the commit on my NTotSC fork:

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/NTotSC/commit/0a22291ddc436eea0da852286a5c3d23b40f392f

@AstroBryGuy How about Pull Request for Jastey?
    edited November 2017
    As long as it is compatible with BP-BGT-Worldmap mod in case the player wants to install it, I am all for integrating it. This looks really great! But I would like to have at least one look at it before, hopefully I'll find time at the weekend.
    Yes, a pull request would be great but I still need to learn how to tagg release versions, preferably before I integrate changes I would like to try out first. Currently, the download goes from the repository directly.. (I'm still a GHN - GitHubNoob. :) )
    edited November 2017
    I created the pull request. Also, I verified that BP-BGT-Worldmap will still work if installed after NTotSC with the proposed modification (see below).

EDIT: Checked the BGEE version of DSotSC. No conflicts with DSotSC locations.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Very cool, thank you! It might take a while until I merge it - I guess it will be preferable if I tagg a release version so I can test the changes before they go public.
    Version 2.0.0 is tagged and linked in the first post. From now on, changes to the mod package will be tagged with new release numbers.

Latest change:

-Nadalin will also take the PC with his boat if the leader of the Black Hand cult is already dead.

--
    Next I'll be working on integrating AtroBryGuy's cool worldmap tweak. I already tested it in my game, it's awesome!
    StummvonBordwehr
  • markzakumarkzaku Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2017
    This looks really interesting. Without sounding too lazy, if there's anyone out there who's actively playing this mod now, would you be willing to post screenshots, particularly of the new maps/zones? Thanks!
    Post edited by markzaku on
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    What does NTotSC stand for? Surprisingly, that's not mentioned anywhere in the original post.
    Thels said:

What does NTotSC stand for? Surprisingly, that's not mentioned anywhere in the original post.

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast
    Kusel
    Indeed, it is not. I guess I am biased thinking it's such an old and known mod I don't have to write it out. :)
    Will add it to the first post.
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    Hi,
    Any news on integrating AstroBryGuy's BG1 map? This is a great mod and thanks on your work converting it.
    I've done it locally but there are some more glitches I want to fix before making it an official version. This will take a while, unfortunately, as I am updating other mods currently as well.
    Thank you for the kind words!
    Good news! I think I'll look with Near Infinity for the main area codes and just use the console to 'MoveToArea'.
    IIRC you can update the world map in your save game folder, if you're halfway through a game. It's a bit of a workaround - as in you can visit the areas but the map in your game is reset and you have to revisit everywhere again to get the icons to reappear.
    edited January 2018
    Ligg said:

Good news! I think I'll look with Near Infinity for the main area codes and just use the console to 'MoveToArea'.
    IIRC you can update the world map in your save game folder, if you're halfway through a game. It's a bit of a workaround - as in you can visit the areas but the map in your game is reset and you have to revisit everywhere again to get the icons to reappear.

If you use Near Infinity you go to a savegame, open Baldur.sav, decompress it, delete worldmap.wmp, compress and save. When you restart the game, it will automatically load the new map. It shows your party in the current main area and you need to explore the world again from there. The information which areas you have already visited is lost - that only applies to the map display not to the areas who keep their saved status.
    If you need area reference codes for the various games, they are here https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/index.htm under the headline
    Filename Mappings:
    Areas
    BG1: TotS || BG2: ToB || IWD1: TotL || PST

The references are for vanilla game - The EET has prefix BGxxxx instead of ARxxxx for the BG1:TotS areas.

SoD areas are here
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29127&hl=
    StummvonBordwehrRaduzielBleriot
    Thanks for the info on how to update a world map. I'll be doing that as and when this map update gets released.
  • enderandrewenderandrew Member Posts: 23
    I'll be looking forward to checking this out in a BWS/EET install when this is released as the official version.