Skip to content

Improvements to the NWN forum section

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
This discussion was created from comments split from: No category for mods? ...and a little shameless self promotion. :-).

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I was under the impression that Custom Content & Community Exp Pack was for mods.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Ah, OK. Thanks. :-)
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the sub-forums here mirror the old Bioware Social Network, where Custom Content & CEP was for technical discussion between content makers and builders, not of great interest to players.

We used to make module announcements in General Discussion.

In the absence of guidance, there's no right or wrong, though.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    It would be nice if we had a sub section on the forum to chat that wasn't full of people shouting for feature requests.
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    ^ Especially when there are sticky threads for exactly that purpose.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @Proleric Actually both the ancient Bioware NwN (January 2006) site and the Bioware Social Network NwN section (December 2015) had a Module category. Gotta love the wayback machine (I've got it on speed-dial) for questions like this.

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Proleric said:

In the absence of guidance, there's no right or wrong, though.

If you go to https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights, you'll see descriptions for all the categories, for example, "Custom Content & Community Exp Pack" - Modelling, textures, sounds, effects, hak packs and the CEP too.

As for the "sub section on the forum to chat that wasn't full of people shouting for feature requests", it's really difficult to separate requests from anything else for an ungoing project. So General Discussions NWN:EE should be fine.
    edited January 2018

As for the "sub section on the forum to chat that wasn't full of people shouting for feature requests", it's really difficult to separate requests from anything else for an ungoing project. So General Discussions NWN:EE should be fine.

Honestly this sends some really contradictory messages.

"NWN is all about the community!"
    "We wouldn't be doing an EE if it wasnt for the community!"
    "The NWN Community is amazing and has kept this game going for 15 years!"
    "We don't see the value in growing the community and don't want to moderate a forum subsection not dedicated to people arguing over feature requests."

Rebuilding NWN involves more than some fancy shaders and bug fixes. Beamdog needs to invest the the NWN Community in a way that allows community members to invest in one another. Not just use us as a resource to crowdsource ideas and focus test features.

I also highly doubt a subforum dedicated to community building would be too much of a burden at this stage. It's something that needs to grow a few threads at a time but right now any attempt to do so is drown out 30+ threads of people clamoring to make their opinion heard about X, Y or Z feature.

Interacting with Beamdog is nice. Interacting with each other in a non-confrontational manner would be even better.

Heck, you don't even have a sticky in the general forum dedicated to the community simply being a community.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited January 2018
    What do you suggest?
    I'm all for improving the forum!
    Never said what you write in the italics part. We actually try everything to make this place home for all NWN players!
    edited January 2018
    How about starting with a sticky in the general forum for non-feature request community discussion and build it up from there?

Name it something attractive and eye catching.

When the thread gets enough traction to no longer serve it's function, open a sub forum?

The community will do all the rest. You just need to give them the opportunity. It may be slow in the beginning but it will eventually blossom.
    edited January 2018
    It's a wonderful start and thank you!

I will do my best to keep it going as I am sure will many others!

- Jamie
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175

What do you suggest?
    Never said what you write in the italics part. We actually try everything to make this place home for all NWN players!

How bout a sticky thread in General Discussion for those to list their Mods instead of creating new threads for every mod. This way they do not get lost. :D
    edited January 2018
    raz651 said:

What do you suggest?

How bout a sticky thread in General Discussion for those to list their Mods instead of creating new threads for every mod. This way they do not get lost. :D
    The rule we have for BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE and PST:EE mod list threads is: no direct link. We ask users to give a link to each mod thread so that the modder could recieve full credit for his/her creation on this forum. This also allows to have all mods presented on this site.

If you are ok with it, I'll create a "NWN:EE Compatible Mods" thread in General Discussion and will start updating the first post there with links each modder provides.

See, for example, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods/ to get a feeling of how it looks like.
    The above is very nice indeed. I hadn't participated in the forums of said other games. This is sort of what I was looking for. (the first post being updated with all the mods is beyond what I expected. You guys are great. :)
    edited January 2018
    Just as with BG:EE, BGII:EE, IWD:EE and PST:EE all having "hub" threads for lists of compatible mods, NWN:EE should have its own list as well, - for modules.

It's been decided to create a new category for modules.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2018
    Hey @JuliusBorisov feel free to delete this post once you read it:

I’m struggling to understand what this thread is for. Isn’t one of the stated pillars of NwN:EE that essentially ALL mods are EE compatible?

Given the volume of mods vs the Infinity Engine games this list will be hundreds of pages long. You could get a read out from the Vault and list it by category I suppose.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,286
    edited January 2018
    @JuliusBorisov now I'm confused. The description of Custom Content & Community Expansion Pack is "modelling, textures, sounds, effects, hak paks and the CEP too" which is all low level builder stuff, not player-oriented like the old Modules category.

I get not linking directly to downloads, of course. How about linking directly from this thread to the module's vault page? That would save the overhead of making new threads for each module.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Vault links would definitely be a better alternative than making forum threads for every single mod as NWN has thousands upon thousands of things that would suit the definition of a "mod," be they modules, shaders, icon replacers, sound replacers, etc. That said, there are a couple of things I'd like to link here.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Is PRC compatible with NWN:EE?
    @Proleric @MadHatter We can always drop the idea. This thread was requested by @raz651 and (to lesser extent) by @fkirenicus in https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68548/no-category-for-mods-and-a-little-shameless-self-promotion. I'm open to suggestions of how to handle it.
  • AnonySimonAnonySimon Member Posts: 28

Is PRC compatible with NWN:EE?

The PRC (Player Resource Consortium) and CEP are my two most favorite mods for Neverwinter Nights. As such, I would also appreciate confirmation on the compatibility with NWN:EE.
    MadHatter said:

Hey @JuliusBorisov feel free to delete this post once you read it:

I’m struggling to understand what this thread is for. Isn’t one of the stated pillars of NwN:EE that essentially ALL mods are EE compatible?

Given the volume of mods vs the Infinity Engine games this list will be hundreds of pages long. You could get a read out from the Vault and list it by category I suppose.

I requested this thread as a place to list all the mods that people are creating in a one stop place to look for them instead of wading through thread after thread looking for them.

How the thread works is up to the moderators. Listing the link to the mod on the vault is fine with me. But this is for modules not custom content. They have their own sub forums for that. At least that is how I thought it would work.
    Ok, let's do it this way: anyone can confirm in this thread a certain mod (mods) work on NWN:EE - then I put a link to it into the OP.
    edited January 2018
    raz651 said:

How the thread works is up to the moderators. Listing the link to the mod on the vault is fine with me. But this is for modules not custom content. They have their own sub forums for that. At least that is how I thought it would work.

Oh, "modules"! Maybe the title should be edited to say that? For all the other EE games (and for most player-made content for games for that matter), "mods" means "modifications," which feels like "custom content." So it gets confusing. Especially where we have threads like this for all the modifications for the other games.

I agree, a list of all the custom modules makes a lot of sense. That's very different from a list for each portrait pack, hak pack, etc.

@JuliusBorisov May I suggest renaming the thread to "NWN:EE Compatible Modules?"
    Ok, interesting, what do others think: should this thread be only for the modules, or other "mods," including shaders, icon replacers, sound replacers, etc?
    edited January 2018
    Given how big this project is and what Beamdog hopes the lifespan of NWN:EE will be, it might make sense to make several threads for each type of custom content (one for hack paks, one for portraits, one for modules, one for audio, etc.).
    Post edited by themazingness on
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Julius, my opinion is that there already is potential for misunderstanding with the term 'mod'. I think a thread for 'modules' is great. We have threads for 'mods' (modifications), in Custom Content.

-JFK
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2018
    By design any mod (module/hakpack) is compatible with NWN:EE so I really don't see a point in this thread.

The only incompatible mod with NWN:EE is community patch 1.70/1.71/1.72 as it is also the only mod that uses unique way of installation into *.bif files. But there is special version of community patch compatible with NWN:EE already,

Theoretically any mod - be it a module or set of hakpack that uses installer might not work for NWN:EE as it won't find the installation path, but the mod itself will work if you copy the files to new nwn installation manually.