Skip to content

[mod] Skie - The Cost of One Girl's Soul

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
edited April 2022 in BGII:EE Mods
I prepared a new mod for everyone who believes that Skie's story should be continued in BG2EE, especially after everything that happened in Siege of Dragonspear DLC. I present you my project: Skie - The Cost of One Girl's Soul.

SKIE: THE COST OF ONE GIRL'S SOUL

INTRODUCTION

The mod gives the player a chance to continue Skie's plot that began in Siege of Dragonspear. The DLC gave the Silvershield girl a very important role, and I felt as if it should be continued in the BG2 portion of the game. The mod has three different components:

component A - Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul – A new quest for Baldur's Gate 2 EE => this component provides a new quest that gives the player a chance to save Skie Silvershield after what happened in Siege of Dragonspear. You should be warned, though, that saving her comes with a price. The mod starts at Irenicus' Dungeon when you find the main quest item.

component B - Allow Skie to return as a joinable NPC => This component allows Skie to join you if you decide to help the Silvershield girl and succeed. She will find you after some time. Skie will start to look for you in certain inns, so remember to stop and rest from time to time. The NPC comes with some timered and situation talks, banters with each NPC (at least 2 in SoA + 1 in ToB), interjections, an epilogue, and other things joinable companions should include. Note that there is no romance here, as I wanted to stress companionship and loyalty based on friendship and not romantic love. The NPC component was written to enjoy Skie's presence in the group, rather than provide hundreds of lines, but she should talk to you once in a while. In terms of size, she could be compared to Kulyok's Tiax or Coran.

component C - Add Player-Initiated Dialogue (PID) for Skie => This component requires component B to work and allows you to discover new lines by clicking the dialogue cursor on Skie Silvershield. As the original NPCs do not have PIDs, this was made an optional component, so you could decide if you want these additional lines in your game or not.

component D - The Return of Eddard Silvershield => This component (which also requires component B) adds a new quest happening after Skie's friendship path. It starts in the Bridge District. It leads Skie and the PC to a surprising discovery: Eddard is alive as he wasn't actually killed but captured by slavers during his mission. After completing the quest, Eddard may join the team. He is a romanceable character (for non-evil male and female protagonists with a Charisma score of 13+). The NPC will stay with you for both SoA and ToB and will also have some heart-warming talks with his sister, Skie.

component E - Add Player-Initiated Dialogue (PID) for Eddard => This component requires component D to work and allows you to discover new lines by clicking the dialogue cursor on Eddard Silvershield. As the original NPCs do not have PIDs, this was made an optional component, so you could decide if you want these additional lines in your game or not.

component F - Add brand-new SoD-related items to BG2 => this component introduces new SoD references to BG2 by adding a few items that somehow correspond to Siege of Dragonspear characters, places, and happenings (Skie included). The items are sold by a new merchant at the Promenade. He's standing near Lord and Lady Ophal. This component is independent and may be installed without components A and B.

Note that Skie in this mod is supposed to continue the Siege of Dragonspear character, so she may be a tiny bit more mature, but still a bit reckless, and will not hesitate to tell you how she feels about people and events. The change in her character may be seen in both her dialogues and soundset.

Also, to make her portrait blend in better with Baldur's Gate II style of portraits, the mod uses an edited version of her original picture.

The mod includes some crossmod. Install G3 Crossmod Banter Pack to enjoy them!

Special thanks to @typo_tilly and @Go_ForTheEyes for proofreading and editing!

How to join Skie:

After your talk to Missini, wait for 2-3 days and rest in any of Athkatla's Inns.

How to start quest that involved Eddard:

Finish Skie's friendship path (aka wait for Missini's 2nd appearance) and go to the Five Flagons.

DOWNLOAD LINK
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
ThacoBellronaldoMiridorZaghoul[Deleted User]Sir_GarrickMantis37megamike15randomencounterO_Brucetbone1JuliusBorisovRaduzielArctodusOrlonKronsteenPantalionContemplative_HamsterEekanImpbrunardoRik_KirtaniyaMirandelStummvonBordwehrGusindamashedtatersMiraStastnyGrammarsaladTimbo0o0o0VasculioAedanhanhwisooLudwig_IIIlphalarZaxareslolienFina92PsicoVicAndreaColomboAaeightSjerrieRolandoArnimanRedRodentBlackbɨrdmademan2AaemforeverMaurvir

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Welp, I can scratch this off of my top 3 wanted mods. Many thanks! I'm currently waiting for the new patch before starting a new run, but I'll be sure to check this out and leave feedback.
    LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisov
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    edited January 2018
    I hope you'll enjoy it :) The mod isn't huge, but it should be enough to close the story started in SoD.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Great stuff. How similar is Skie's content to the previous mod for BG2?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Firstoff, that's a very cool mod addition, thank you very much for the possibility to close this huge plothole!

But:
    The mod starts in Irenicus' Dungeon, when you find the main quest item.
    I always imagined the item to be another very good reason for the PC to follow Irenicus.

But I guess finding it in ID and therefor having it sooner is a good plot story, as well.
    LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisovAedan
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    like thaco i'm not gonna be bale to play this until 2.5 so this is assuming on my part but.

it feels really out of character for jon to leave the soul taker dagger in the open as opposed to haveing it be on his person at all times.
    LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisovLoldrupAedan
    edited January 2018
    @megamike15 : I could imagine it solved its purpose and he lost interest. Maybe he made some experiments with it but in the end it's CHARNAME he wants - and needs. I don't think it's out-of-character he leaves the item in ID. EDIT: But I could imagine he'd use it as bait for a LG PC. But then, he went out quickly because of the attack and after the Promenade Scene he has another bait...

(Why the whole thing happened at all is something only BeamDog Devs could explain, anyhow.)
    LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisovThacoBell
    i also noticed veer is included in the crossmod. does that mean his bg2 mod is almost done?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @megamike15

Oh, well... I wouldn't know... *whistles innocently*
    megamike15LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisov
    Actually, I have a question for mod part 1. Would it be possible to include the possibility to just send the item back to Baldur's Gate?
    I am not playing, I am reading (and writing crossmod content for Ajantis). But:
    The price it takes to retore the content - my paladin PC has a huge problem with what is asked for, and thinks that the father should decide himself whether it should be paid.
    Now she would be stuck and couldn't finish the quest.

Cudos to your grasp of the SoD Skie character. As far as I've seen, your writing is a perfect match. It's brilliant!
    jastey said:

Actually, I have a question for mod part 1. Would it be possible to include the possibility to just send the item back to Baldur's Gate?
    The price it takes to retore the content - my paladin PC has a huge problem with what is asked for, and thinks that the father should decide himself whether it should be paid.

Cudos to your grasp of the SoD Skie character. As far as I've seen, your writing is a perfect match. It's brilliant!

Hm, my paladin PC just had a second thought. Maybe it is more evil to leave the decision to the father...

Still, such an option would be nice to have, for whatever reasons. As far as I can see, it could be integrated without having to change much of the overall mod flow.
  • randomencounterrandomencounter Member Posts: 10
    And suddenly I have a strong urge to do a BG2 play-though.

Great idea for a mod, look forward to finishing it.
    edited January 2018
    Great stuff. How similar is Skie's content to the previous mod for BG2?

Thanks! And this mod is much better, in my opinion. I am the one who wrote the old Skie BG2 mod, but I believe that it was a bit too much about jokes from a girl who after all does everything she can to not only be useful, but who also risks her life by leaving her comfortable estate. This Skie here is different. A bit childish and reckless as she used to be, but also someone who wants to do great things, see places. I hope that mod to be a nice continuation of what Beamdog gave us in Siege of Dragonspear.

it feels really out of character for jon to leave the soul taker dagger in the open as opposed to haveing it be on his person at all times.

I agree with those who believe that once the dagger served it purpose, it's no longer of much interest to Irenicus. He is obviously crazy about CHARNAME's soul and everything he does is to get something of much greater value than the blade and/or Skie's soul. Also - and this is also spoiler - when you find the blade, it's broken. That one of the most important parts of the quest. The magic it holds is no longer stable and that's why the quest becomes much more difficult.

I also noticed veer is included in the crossmod. does that mean his bg2 mod is almost done?

Well, yes. @Artemius_I is helping me greatly with the mod. It needs some more polishing and checking a thing or two, so I can't say when it's going to be available, but expect a mod that offers more than just few talks. I wrote some stuff about BG2 part. Check out his thread here, at Beamdog forums, when you have a moment :)

Would it be possible to include the possibility to just send the item back to Baldur's Gate?

Well, sorry, but no. That's the main problem I wanted to show with the mod. It is to be morally difficult. Most quests are constructed like: "we are great heroes and we do great things". And what happens if to save someone you have to do something difficult? When I wrote this mod, I knew it's going to be difficult abd not every PC may want to do such a thing. Now some spoilerish things so...
    Sending the dagger to Baldur's Gate wouldn't be solving the quest at all because they don't have what's needed for the blade to be fixed and there is still a problem with how to get her out of the item. Later in the quest CHARNAME's heritage is of important role and is used to save Skie.

Also, there is the title - "The Cost of One Girl's Soul". And that's the thing - the price may be too high. Some people would still do it, while others... just wouldn't. I know this is harsh and I really feel what you mean here, but that mod was supposed to be harsh and difficult.
    Before creating the mod I talked to some people and I have to agree that in Forgotten Realms death is something... a bit trivial. Whatever happens, people got ressurected. Entar. Sarevok. People who should be dead like Tazok keep doing nasty things. This time it has a huge cost and is to trouble people. Because death matters.

Hah! Thanks! I did my best. It's also thanks to @typo_tilly - I bet the text wouldn't look that great with typos and/or wrong grammar :)
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellDJKajuru
    You are right about the PC's heritage playing a role in retrieving the item. I see now that it's no option for a paladin to just send the item back, if she knows that she is also needed to restore it.
    I may add that option to send the dagger, but because of technical reason:
    The price is high and if CHARNAME decides that he/she doesn't want to make this decision, player is stuck with the journal entries. I will give the option probably to clear them and close the case, but it won't allow CHARNAME to join Skie later in game. Even if people of Baldur's Gate manage to do something about this, Skie won't get the motivation to find you.
    JuliusBorisovRaduziel
    edited January 2018
    Okay, updated. Version v0.99c includes:
    -fix for a small bug with one variable (that was supposed to delete journal entries if you fail the quest)
    -an option to send away the dagger to Entar Silvershield; note that this means you the quest will just be erased and Skie won't find you later even if you installed the component that allows to join her; as I mentioned before, the option is there because if someone decides the price is too high, then he/she is stuck with journal entries; this allows you to drop the quest and erase the entries.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellMirandelAedan
    Thank you! This is great!

One question for crossmod, though:

Would it be possible to split the script block starting with
    IF
    OR(2)
    Global("L#2SkieDaggerImoen","GLOBAL",50)
    Global("L#2SkieDagger","GLOBAL",50)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100

into two?
    In case the PC tells Imoen in ID that he won't pursue this any further, only the first journal entry would have to be erased.

If the two variables (with Imoen in ID and without for failing the quest) would be separate, Ajantis mod could detect whether the item was never be taken out of ID or whether the rescue failed - without the need for me to introduce extra script blocks. Ajantis might join later in game, so it's an important difference to know for his crossmod reaction.

JuliusBorisov
    I suppose I can do that. Will try to update it later today.
    JuliusBorisov
    Thank you very much! This is more than I was hoping. Looks good, as far as I can see.

These are the triggers I used/will be using (not tested in game yet):

//PC tried to cheat and lost Skie's soul
    ~Global("L#2SDBreakRule","GLOBAL",1)~

//PC found dagger in ID, independent on quest status but not lost Skie soul (includes sending dagger back to BG)
    ~GlobalGT("L#2SkieDagger","GLOBAL",0) //Skie Cost Mod started
    Global("L#2SDToldImoenNo","GLOBAL",0) //Player did not leave dagger in ID
    Global("L#2SDBreakRule","GLOBAL",0)~ //PC did not lose Skie's soul

//after hearing about the cost
    ~GlobalGT("L#2SkieDagger","GLOBAL",10) //PC knows what it takes to retore it
    GlobalLT("L#2SkieDagger","GLOBAL",15) //PC didn't find a willing soul yet
    Global("L#2SDFailedLater","GLOBAL",0) //quest is still running
    Global("L#2SDBreakRule","GLOBAL",0) //PC did not lose Skie's soul

//dagger was restored
    ~GlobalGT("L#2SkieDagger","GLOBAL",30) //Skie's soul restored
    Global("L#2SDSendIt","GLOBAL",0) //dagger was not sent to BG
    Global("L#2SDFailedLater","GLOBAL",0) //quest is still running

//dagger was sent back
    ~GlobalGT("L#2SDSendIt","GLOBAL",0) //dagger was sent back to BG

LavaDelVortel
    @jastey - Nice! If you'll decide that you want to add crossmod banters with Skie, let me know :) I guess you saw the pattern in there, so... just please, if you could check that they install before you send me d+tra, it would be great! I suppose she and Ajantis could exchange a word or two :)
    I am very slow with NPC banters, but if I have some ready, I will send you a working d/tra.
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks! :)
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    Plot-wise, what would we be missing by only installing the first component? I don't like using NPC Mods in BG2 that aren't fully voiced, for consistancy reasons. Is it everything except Skie joining the party (and any banters and quests that come with it)?
    the first componant is the quest to save her. all npc related things are the 2nd.
    evildevil97LavaDelVortelJuliusBorisov
    As megamike15 said - 1st component is the quest. I know there are people who do not want to mix quest and NPCs and that's why this time I decided to make those seperated components.

Anyway, have fun!
    RaduzielArctodusJuliusBorisovGrammarsalad
  • enderandrewenderandrew Member Posts: 23
    Is this EET-compatible?

Can we get it in BWS?
    The mod is only for BG2EE, it has not been tested with EET and it may not be a good idea to combine those two. However this mod does not use CHAPTER check, so there shouldn't be any huge problems, but I'm not using EET myself, so I'm not going to recommend using those two together as that combination was never tested.

Also, this mod shouldn't be used with Sandrah Saga for EET and my old Skie BG2 NPC. That would cause a storywise mess. Same goes with other possible mods that bring back Skie, include Soultaker dagger plots and/or Eldoth Kron.