Skip to content

Don't be aftraid to use triple class characters, even in parties. Especially with SoD on the horizon

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so i started a fighter/mage/thief run, and rolled a 96 ( it happened on the 10th try or so )

best part of the run so far: dying from the cut scene arrow with the battle of gorion vs sarevok, ah good times, good thing the game auto saved there
    SkatanGreenWarlockGusindaProont
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    F/M/T has an interesting xp curve. At the start of BG it takes forever to get going. However, as you have so many classes, once you start leveling, you will level more frequently than other classes which can be fun of itself. The sweet spot for this would be right at the start of BG2, up until you get around 750k xp, and, and I guess the whole of Siege of Dragonspear should be in that sweet spot too (I don't have the game on the Mac App Store yet to confirm). After level 9/10 though, xp for classes stops doubling per level, and repeatedly takes the same amount, so the rest of the party will start to zoom away from you again, and it is the long hard slog to the end of the game! By now the PC should have enough interesting ideas for ways to combine the classes to do interesting and unique things that it will pay off, but the long gap between levels can be painful at times!

Sounds like you have just reached the stage where the fun really starts :)
    ThacoBellsarevok57Fenghoang
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

The sweet spot for this would be right at the start of BG2, up until you get around 750k xp, and, and I guess the whole of Siege of Dragonspear should be in that sweet spot too (I don't have the game on the Mac App Store yet to confirm).

I fully agree, but with one comment: in SoD you only level up once. You reach the critical level 7 fighter for the APR and another level in each class, but then you stop. Since SoD gives massive exp early from killing all those huge mobs of critters (especially on insane) you will level early and then remain there for the rest of SoD. It's a good level with loads of potential, level 4 spells, the aforementioned APR from level 7 fighter, enough thief points to be the party's only thief, but it's still becomes a bit stale never leveling. At least for me who enjoys focusing on CHARNAME and not bothering so much with the NPCs.

In BG2 the fun starts again for a while before, just as you say, you start to fall behind a lot and again get a very slow progression in the key areas for you, THAC0 and spells. You'll still be a better thief than most though, but for me... the character grows old fast and I prefer solo.
    sarevok57AerakarProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    F/M/T has such good synergy that even at level 1 for all classes, my charname is still getting more kills than his level 2 or 3 paty members.
    sarevok57Proont
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    @JuliusBorisov full and extended props for starting this thread and getting ppl to play triples! And my thanks, too.
    GreenWarlockJuliusBorisov
    funny thing is, this thread is just a hair over 2 years old and if it wasnt for JuliusBorisov making a comment a few days ago, this thread would have been buried for eternity, since the comment before JuliusBorisov was from June of 2016
    JuliusBorisovQuartzProont
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Well yeah, like who would ever call necromancy a bad thing, right?
    I think for now, triple classes can certainly use the attention drawn to them in threads like this, since theyve always been underrated and easily dismissed by most. Also, even though they live and breath versatiltiy, whenever discussed, triple classes are often seen as one trick ponies with a complicated trick. Now I'm probably biased to the max, I've tried and found I really can't play anything but FMT, well shame on me, but I've also found FMT can be played successfully in many different ways. Hopefully, threads like this will lead to more players trying triple classes and sharing their experiences and providing more ideas for others, quite likely also spilling over into other classes in the end.
    To cut things short, I hope this thread will stay alive and be productive for all.
    And props to all contributors.
    ThacoBellsarevok57JuliusBorisovProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    F/M/T was my signature class for years. Them and bards just bring so much to the table.
    profanitywarningGreenWarlockJuliusBorisovProont
    FMT signature trick is versatility, although it helps for SoA if you are loading them up with all the neatest gear to minimize their apparent falling behind, like THAC0 compared to a plain fighter. You get your HLAs at 3 million XP, just like every other class, and while most of the mage HLAs are useless (you will never get 9th level spell slots) they can quickly bridge the gap when high performance matters. That versatility may make them one of the easier classes to start soloing, as they will be strong through the whole series, and th slow leveling is greatly mitigated by the XP rush.
    ThacoBellProont
    ThacoBell said:

F/M/T was my signature class for years. Them and bards just bring so much to the table.

yeah, back in the day, i use to play FMT a lot as well
    ThacoBell
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Skatan said:

The sweet spot for this would be right at the start of BG2, up until you get around 750k xp, and, and I guess the whole of Siege of Dragonspear should be in that sweet spot too (I don't have the game on the Mac App Store yet to confirm).

I fully agree, but with one comment: in SoD you only level up once.
    Whut? SoD's Exp cap is in such a bad place F/M/Ts actually end up levelling more than anyone else:

F/M/T ends BG1 with 161k at 6/6/7.
    F/M/T ends SoD with 500k at 8/9/10.

That's 8 levels gained, 1/2 APR, 75 skill points, and level 4 and 5 spells.

Mage/Thief is still better, of course.
    SkatanGreenWarlockQuartzProont
    Pantalion said:

Skatan said:

I fully agree, but with one comment: in SoD you only level up once.
    Whut? SoD's Exp cap is in such a bad place F/M/Ts actually end up levelling more than anyone else:

F/M/T ends BG1 with 161k at 6/6/7.
    F/M/T ends SoD with 500k at 8/9/10.

That's 8 levels gained, 1/2 APR, 75 skill points, and level 4 and 5 spells.

Mage/Thief is still better, of course.
    In that case I must have been drunk when I played. FYI I don't consider every level per class a level-up, so when stating "once" I meant one each per class-ish.
    Pantalion
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    ThacoBell said:

@marc5477 Its theoretically possible to roll up to 108. Though a roll that high has never been recorded (its odds are similar to winning a lottery). The highest I have ever gotten was 103.

StummvonBordwehrThacoBellProontGusinda
    I suspect the Twitter poster knows of a certain shortcut key that can be enabled during character generation ;)

But even these stats are low if you are ready to keep re-importing characters that have beaten the game, without even resorting to character file editors.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

ThacoBell said:

@marc5477 Its theoretically possible to roll up to 108. Though a roll that high has never been recorded (its odds are similar to winning a lottery). The highest I have ever gotten was 103.

Holy Crap....my personal best was a couple 101. and thats already pretty nuts.

Normally i settle for a 93+ so i can go for all 18's and one 3~ dumpstat normally Wisdom or Charisma deepening on the character.

JuliusBorisovThacoBellProont
    Skatan said:

marc5477 said:

On top of all that, he can match fighter AC. In retrospect I should have done a 1 hand weapon with shields since damage output has not been a problem but getting hit is somewhat troublesome given his low hit points. I would probably go with long swords or clubs since crushing damage seems to own everything in this game. But I found 3 great longswords so that might bridge the gap with crushing damage. His AC is currently -4 but with the shields I have found I could have brought that down to -7.

Quarterstaffs are one of the best proficiences since you can use a staffmace +2 onehanded. It has bastard sword base damage (2D4), crushing damage, the reach of a twohander, is usable by rogues and can therefore be used for backstabbing while wearing a shield or dual-weilded together with one more staffmace or another weapon of choice.
    Playing a backstabber in BG1, qstaff is by far the best category IMHO since you have so much to choose from, easily accessable +3 qstaff in Ulgoth's beard (you buy it, why do you still have your +1? :) ) + staff of striking when needed (not really needed ever, but still fun) + staffmace(s) for regular critters or for when you either want to dualweild or need to wear a shield for added AC.

The staffmace is available in BG2 as well, so it's not just something you can do in BG1.
    don't forget the staff spear, which also does some solid damage ( 1d8+3 ) with a +2 thac0 bonus
    which can be found here:

the succubus on the top floor of durlag's tower has it, so either pick pocket it from her, or kill her for it
    JuliusBorisovProontSkatan
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    If only we could do triple dual classes. Far better than triple multi casses IMO
    ProontGusindaSkatanGreenWarlock
    Fighter -> Thief -> Mage *droool*
    sarevok57GusindaProont