Skip to content

Which, in your opinion, is the most powerful class in the Infinity Engine Games series?

2»

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    That depends. For example, if is end game, fighter mage is the best. Improved Haste + Black Blade of Disaster + Stoneskin + Tenser transformation = GG easy but a sorc can cast high tier spells earlier

That is how this spells is good for a Dragon Disciple. A Fighter/Mage can attack more times/round...

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Pantalion said:

2: THAC0 is largely irrelevant, unconscious and held enemies don't have AC, wands don't care about it, and after hitting level 7 spells (3e6 for I/T, 4.5e6 for F/M/T) the I/T should be going nova on every encounter with Project Image, which cannot attack.

Wait...what?

Held enemies do not have AC? Why have I not been using Hold Person more????
    PantalionProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @SorcererV1ct0r: Is that a dual-class or multi-class? If it's a dual-class, what level was it? I was criticizing the efficacy of a high-level dual-class. A multi-class fighter/mage is strong at just about every point in every game (hence my vote for the fighter/mage), while a solo fighter dual-classed to mage would have to spend a rather long time as a low-level mage, with that period expanding the longer you wait to dual-class.

In a solo run, the sorcerer does have some meaningful advantages over a fighter/mage. Mage scrolls are very scarce in IWD, and Spell Immunity is only available at the end of Trials of the Luremaster. Plus, the scrolls come in very late; a solo fighter/mage will spend much of the game unable to use his or her higher-level spell slots.

I take it that that video depicts a fighter/mage who was imported from a previous save at the endgame, because a solo fighter/mage would not have access to the Black Blade of Disaster at that point in the game, nor would a solo fighter/mage have level 9 spell slots at that point unless you were on Heart of Fury Mode.

Importing characters changes the power balance dramatically.
    ThacoBellFenghoang
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited February 2018

I take it that that video depicts a fighter/mage who was imported from a previous save at the endgame(...)y.

No, the video is a dragon disciple solo at insane difficulty but you convinced me. In a "single playtrought" in OC sorcerer/dragon disciple will be the best class, but if you play a lot and get high levels, Fighter/Mage will be the best.
    PS : Can i change my vote?
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @SorcererV1ct0r: Changing your vote isn't possible in forum polls. I've changed my mind sometimes after reading other people's responses, too.
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    It pains me to say that but obviously kensai dual mage...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Allow me to release you from your pain: Berserker->Mages are stronger, and it's not even close.
    semiticgoddessSkatan
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    joluv said:

Allow me to release you from your pain: Berserker->Mages are stronger, and it's not even close.
    why? a mage can cast enough protection spells that they are immune to everything ( so berserk isn't needed ) and kensai's get the to hit/to damage every 3 levels, plus the improved speed factor, so they are going to hit faster and harder

the only time that this might be an issue is in a dead magic zone, but even with that being said, if you are going solo you can probably avoid those levels of watchers keep ( since you will already be at the max level cap no doubt )
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    sarevok57 said:

joluv said:

why? a mage can cast enough protection spells that they are immune to everything ( so berserk isn't needed ) and kensai's get the to hit/to damage every 3 levels, plus the improved speed factor, so they are going to hit faster and harder

the only time that this might be an issue is in a dead magic zone, but even with that being said, if you are going solo you can probably avoid those levels of watchers keep ( since you will already be at the max level cap no doubt )
    Helmets, gauntlets, instant cast defensive buff that works long before you pick up SI, and can't be taken down by rival mages. The bonuses from the extra gear alone largely offset the Kensai's sole benefit for essentially no downside.

I don't consider dual anything into mage to be within the top three, let alone strongest, but Kensai duals are overrated.
    semiticgoddessProont
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    mmm i no knows, even though kensais cant use helmets, they can still use iounstones, and gauntlet wise, the only thing that comes to mind in which a berserker can even have a realistic advantage over is the bracers of blinding ( binding? ) speed, ( pretty much all the other gauntlets give to hit or to hit/to damage bonuses which the kensai already gets, and some of the other gauntlets are just lol worthy to be honest) but realistically if you have a ring of gaxx and if you have some wizard levels ( and as of v2.5 oils of speed now give improved haste instead of haste ) gear wise is meh, at best

also no matter what level you are dual classing your fighter type over to wizerd, it only takes 135 000 XP to hit level 5 spells, and no matter where that is in the game, if you are going han solo you will hit level 5 at warp speed

even though the berserker is my favourite class of all time, and kensai may indeed be over rated, kensais are still more powerful
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    HugoRune said:

Fighter->Mage dual is probably the most powerful. Mainly because mages/sorcerers are crazy powerful at high levels anyway and a fighter->mage dual is just a mage with all the fighter goodies. Fighter hp, access to fighter weapons, multiple apr, possibly grandmaster proficiency, possibly berserk... all that without any downsides compared to a normal generalist mage. Not even the dual classing downtime is really a downside. You get enough experience to get to a level where you can pull your weight just from scribing spells and then you're just playing a mage with a buttload of HP for a while. The horror.

I agree as a solo character. In a party the fighter skills just aren't necessary. Access to higher level spells earlier is much more important than being able to use a bow when you have five other characters that can potentially do it better. In a party it's hard to beat a sorcerer since they don't have to plan out their spells in advance. I still like my ranger/cleric though, since they can solo OR be a solid addition to any party you can conceive!
    semiticgoddessFenghoang
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Inquisitors will take down your protections instantly prevent you from hiding and roflstomp you with Carsomyr. The hardest opponents became squishy target practice. It gets my vote.
    Balrog99tbone1Skatan
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    sarevok57 said:

mmm i no knows, even though kensais cant use helmets, they can still use iounstones, and gauntlet wise, the only thing that comes to mind in which a berserker can even have a realistic advantage over is the bracers of blinding ( binding? ) speed, ( pretty much all the other gauntlets give to hit or to hit/to damage bonuses which the kensai already gets, and some of the other gauntlets are just lol worthy to be honest) but realistically if you have a ring of gaxx and if you have some wizard levels ( and as of v2.5 oils of speed now give improved haste instead of haste ) gear wise is meh, at best

Sure, alright, but how much hit/damage are we talking about with a Kensage? Some end game Ken 21 -> Mage 22?

That gives +7/+7 in exchange for no crit immunity, and in terms of "advantage" over the Berserker, both get GM, 23-24 strength, the 'zerker gets +1/2 APR from the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Spec. (Kensai advantage +5/+6 damage -1/2 APR), both are toting a +5 weapon (conservatively speaking)...

Nobody (should be) disputing the fact that the Kensai dual would deal more damage, but is +5 damage when you're already dealing 30-35 damage per hit going to significantly change anything? Are there any enemies that actually require you to damage race them to win? Heck, the way HP is you might take just as many hits to kill a guy either way.

You're sacrificing far less for Berserker for almost as much damage and a whole host of other useful stuff while needing to stay "fighter" for far fewer levels to maximise your mage.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Compared to tabletop, these games are maybe a little harder to rank classes in because we get to reroll for stats until we're satisfied. Otherwise, that'd be another argument in favor of Sorcerer, who hardly needs any good stats at all to do their job, while F/M/T and especially F/M/C are MAD as all get out. That feels like it should matter, but in practice kind of doesn't.
    Fardragon
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Need to say that in my experience, Wildmages are the most powerful near the end. The ability to cast level nine spells by using a level 1 slot, that you will have abundant amounts of near the end game is just awesome. The chances of the spell going awry also lessen as you level up, plus chaos shields etc... Problem is... They are damn dangerous. They will wipe out your party, destroy your gold, change your gender and drop cows on your head.

A more stable power combo is the cleric/mage. Sequencer lets you do some fun stuff. The extra pip and hp for a f/m/c does not seem to matter so much after buffs.

Plus loving all the multiclass and dual class illusionists. I see you fellow gnome powa playas!
    Rik_KirtaniyaBalrog99ThacoBell