Skip to content

Pre-made Canon PC: Abdel in Bg1ee vs Bg2ee

What's up with the pre-made "canon" Abdel in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 having such disparate abilities and proficiencies? In BG1 he's only 17 strength and 16 constitution but his dexterity and charisma are not so bad (plus he's chaotic good), and in BG2 he has insanely good strength and con, but terrible everything else, plus he lost one point in his "chosen" weapon style.

Do we have an official "canon" Abdel outside the games that we can compare this to?

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

Well, there's an official "canon" Abdel in the novelizations. But we don't talk about him much.

(The novelizations sucked.)

And the novels chronologically contradict each other (The ToB novel is set before the SoA novle even though it should be the other way around)
    ThacoBellGrum
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Well, there's an official "canon" Abdel in the novelizations. But we don't talk about him much.

And the novels chronologically contradict each other (The ToB novel is set before the SoA novle even though it should be the other way around)
    how? how do you screw something up that badly?
    Dev6semiticgoddessThacoBellmashedtaters
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

I'm sorry, what?!
    How could they f*** up that badly?
    booinyoureyes
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    The novels make f*cking up into an art.
    ThacoBellbooinyoureyesEnialusMeliamne
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

how? how do you screw something up that badly?

Some screw ups require an MBA worth of idiocy.
    ThacoBellbooinyoureyesGrumEnialusMeliamne
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

I pulled mine out, and do not find such a contradiction.

In fact, it's hard even to FIND dates. I found only two "dates".

1. The first page of BG2:SOA, where Abdel is hallucinating his return to Candlekeep "Late in the summer in the Year of the Banner". Looking that up, that's 1368.
    2. The first page of TOB, in Prologue. Marpenoth, 1368 DR in bold. Looking up the Faerunian calendar, that's basically late fall.

While I can agree that the Baldur's Gate novelizations are not the finest of Forgotten Realms novels, they're not as bad as they're made out to be.
    booinyoureyes
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Here's a page from the first one!

@Wise_Grimwald
    While there were definitely some parts I really disliked, and seriously what were they thinking with the scene where the spider falls into Jaheira's cleavage

Pics* or it din't happen!

(*of the page or pages in question.)

do you really think i would make up something like this?
    it is unfortunately a very real scene
    ThacoBellDev6Grummashedtaters
    As always, Mystery Science Theatre 3000 anticipated this.

Balrog99ThacoBellRaduzielmashedtaters
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2018
    Well, that was... Uh.. This cannot be real book!
    it's kinda sad that a book considered non canon cared more about xan then bioware did.
    Raduziel
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2018

Here's a page from the first one!

@Wise_Grimwald
    While there were definitely some parts I really disliked, and seriously what were they thinking with the scene where the spider falls into Jaheira's cleavage

Pics* or it din't happen!

(*of the page or pages in question.)

do you really think i would make up something like this?
    it is unfortunately a very real scene
    Oh, god, no.

I had avoided this for years out of instinct.

Now, I have seen it. I cannot unsee it.

Someone take my eyes from me. Petrify me. Anything, anything but this. Make it stop.
    Balrog99Wise_Grimwald
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Abdel is not canon!!!
    **covers ears***
    "LALALALALALALALALA can't hear you LALALALALALALALALA"
    semiticgoddessThacoBellmashedtaters
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Dev6 said:

I'm a simple man, I see boobs, I press like.

Were the novelization a bit bolder and featured female PC engaging in multiple affairs with other female characters, I'd be willing to overlook much :) Alas.
    semiticgoddess
    DrakeICN said:

Abdel is not canon!!!

True, he's more of a bishop.

ThacoBell
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    First I've ever read of these infamous novels. I'm starting to see why everyone is so traumatized, but really it's very amusing to see everyones horrid reaction to it as well ;)
    Balrog99DrakeICNtbone1
    the novels may also be why jeheria is considered the canon romace in bg2.
    tbone1StummvonBordwehr
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2018
    @Volatile
    The original IE version of Abdel only existed in bg2 and he seems similar to the bg2:ee version you described. He had 18/90 something strength, 18 con, and the other stats gave him no bonuses or penalties. Abdel wasn't a pre-generated character available in the IE version of bg1. Sorry I don't own bg2:ee, only bg:ee and the IE versions of the game.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    So to sum it up...

- since BG1 Abdel has 16 con, and BG2 Abdel has 18 con, and
    - since Abdel is canon:
    BG1 is 1 manual of bodily health short?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Didn't TotSC have a demo party with Abdel in it? Anyone remember the stats there?
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited March 2018
    lroumen said:

Didn't TotSC have a demo party with Abdel in it? Anyone remember the stats there?

@lroumen As I recall. He had 19 str and con...

This thread suggests it as well:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47734/partys-particularly-protagonist-canon-stats

(This would indicate the presence of 2 str and 3 con manuals in all).
  • BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    Abdel from original IE TOTSC demo party- str 18/90, dex 19, con 19, int 7, wis 6, cha 18. +++ each in large swords and bow. Male human neutral good fighter.

Abdel from original IE bg2- str 18/94, dex 11, con 18, int 10, wis 9, cha 11. Male human neutral good fighter. (From memory- +++++ in longswords at level 7, + in longbow. I think +++++ may be illegal at level 7 though not sure.)

So go figure...
    StummvonBordwehrSkatan
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited March 2018
    Bronin said:

Abdel from original IE TOTSC demo party- str 18/90, dex 19, con 19, int 7, wis 6, cha 18. +++ each in large swords and bow. Male human neutral good fighter.

Abdel from original IE bg2- str 18/94, dex 11, con 18, int 10, wis 9, cha 11. Male human neutral good fighter. (From memory- +++++ in longswords at level 7, + in longbow. I think +++++ may be illegal at level 7 though not sure.)

So go figure...

Lol you need 8 or more int to be able to read. The original Abdel was like Lennie Small from mice and men. I guess him turning into the slayer in the book was a cover story to save his reputation; in reality he murders Jaheira and then gets taken out to pasture by Imoen through a crossbow bolt to the back of the skull while being distracted by the waves rolling in in Baldurs Gate harbor under the setting sun.
    megamike15Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DrakeICN said:

Bronin said:

So go figure...

Lol you need 8 or more int to be able to read. The original Abdel was like Lennie Small from mice and men. I guess him turning into the slayer in the book was a cover story to save his reputation; in reality he murders Jaheira and then gets taken out to pasture by Imoen through a crossbow bolt to the back of the skull while being distracted by the waves rolling in in Baldurs Gate harbor under the setting sun.
    Hah! Like Carol in the Walking Dead...

Imoen: "Look at the waves Abdel."
    DrakeICN
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    DrakeICN said:

... in reality he murders Jaheira and then gets taken out to pasture by Imoen through a crossbow bolt to the back of the skull while being distracted by the waves rolling in in Baldurs Gate harbor under the setting sun.

In all seriousness, this actually sounds like a really cool way for the BG saga to have ended.