Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Luckily their pain tolerance is insane. My son was rolling around on his stomach less than a week after heart surgery (at 6 months), while my wife's response to going into labor was, "This is it?"

Yes, pain tolerance is hard to nail down. What one person feels is debilitating, another might think of as a minor annoyance. Come to think of it, that may be why I find ibuprofen to be superior to opioids. A little pain is a small price to pay compared to the side-effects.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm fairly intolerant to pain... on the other hand I have a very fast metabolism for anesthetics... When I was around 20 years old I had surgery on my left knee for reconstruction of a tendon after an accident... the surgery finished around 7 pm... the doctor told me I would be unable to move my legs until midnight and that I should be able to stand up the following morning.... I was able to walk before 10pm :)
    mlnevese said:

I'm fairly intolerant to pain... on the other hand I have a very fast metabolism for anesthetics... When I was around 20 years old I had surgery on my left knee for reconstruction of a tendon after an accident... the surgery finished around 7 pm... the doctor told me I would be unable to move my legs until midnight and that I should be able to stand up the following morning.... I was able to walk before 10pm :)

Very good liver. Probably means your alcohol tolerance is high as well!
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    People with (natural) red hair seem to have diffrent reactions and tolerances to anasthetics, pain, pain relievers, etc. or maybe y’all are just doppelgängers
    tbone1 said:

People with (natural) red hair seem to have diffrent reactions and tolerances to anasthetics, pain, pain relievers, etc. or maybe y’all are just doppelgängers

No red hair here but my a great grandmother is from Scotland so I may have the genes!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In an amazing display of grace and awareness, I have stubbed the same toe every day for the last five days extremely hard. The last one actually broke my toe. It freaking hurts.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    ThacoBell said:

In an amazing display of grace and awareness, I have stubbed the same toe every day for the last five days extremely hard. The last one actually broke my toe. It freaking hurts.

@ThacoBell I can sympathize with that. Was it on the same object by any chance? We had one of those top of the stairs banisters for the railing that caught many a little toe when growing up.
    I had a toe crushed in the workings of a tractor as a kid (result-one less joint), and mannn, you ain't kidding, hurt is right. As I recall there was not much to do for the small bones of my toe, but hopefully your break is better able to be fixed.
    What did your doc say about repair?
    @Zaghoul A heavy wooden dining table, a heavy wooden chair, a couple walls, etc. I am not a graceful man. I didn't go to a doctor for it though. It wasn't a dramatic break, so I taped it up.
    ThacoBell said:

@Zaghoul A heavy wooden dining table, a heavy wooden chair, a couple walls, etc. I am not a graceful man. I didn't go to a doctor for it though. It wasn't a dramatic break, so I taped it up.

You've got to be a male. I swear I'd try to butterfly bandage a severed artery before I'd go to the doctor!
    Like, if my toe was dramatically bent and I risked having it heal badly, yeah I'd go. But its not worth it just for some tape.
    ThacoBell said:

@ThacoBell Alrighty now, no more joking about my 6 and 8 dexterity ogres for you. ;):)
    IIRC, that's all they did for me at the emergency room for my toe, "We can't fix it, but we'll tape it up for you."

Shoot, I could've gone your route and saved the time and money. B)

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Applied for dream job.

Didn't get it.

:(

Applied for dozens, and still applying every day. Don't know how long it's going to take.

Don't give up, @booinyoureyes.

Thanks @semiticgod !

What is your field if you don't mind me asking?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    @semiticgod
    In a better world, you should be in Politics. But I guess in the World as of now, you wouldnt like it one bit (to much backstapping - pun intended).

You would do well in the scholarly world. Your skill and merit would make you a great teacher/professor - but it requires a doctorial and some brown nosing I guess...

@semiticgod wow, very interesting post. I will write a lengthier response after I have time to contemplate the background you shared, but I just want to tell you one thing: I also did a 180 degree turn (med school to law school) after realizing that my initial path wasn't something that I loved (or even liked). Doing something I hated, especially something that is already objectively difficult, made me feel hopeless about the future. Despite the recent set back, the change worked out very well; I love what I do now more than anything, and I am much better at it than what I was trying to do before.

Short message: some twists and turns actually work out in the end.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I know it's tough when you don't have the formal background for it @semiticgod - but I have at least been able to get into illustration without it. And from the list of skills you listed it sound like you would be really good at what I do have the formal background for. That is, to work as a communications officer or similar. The combination of skills in writing and image editing is always good there. I've gotten far just because I know plenty of Photoshop from drawing so much.

And then there's Plain language and just text editing. I do a lot of proof reading as well as this. Taking someone else's text and just rewrite and restructure it so it will be much more efficient. A fun thing to do when you like writing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @ThacoBell I know that is a big worry. Here's to him staying out of the hospital this time, and getting well soon. :)