Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You know, Anduin looks pretty much how I always picktured him.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My company pc isn't working and I have a lot of shit to do x_x
    That's interesting, all the professionals I talk to absolutely think you should get rejection emails. As do I. Silence means automatic bad rap.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @semiticgod: How geographically constrained is your search?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @joluv: I've been applying to places everywhere. I like San Antonio, but I'm not tied down here, and I'm willing to move pretty much anywhere in the country.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

So at work, I manage the backend systems for a web site that gets millions of hits a day. Due to the massive amounts of traffic we get, we use a lot of caching layers to keep things snappy. I've been trying to replace one of our existing caching layers, Varnish, with Nginx, since we haven't been that happy with Varnish's limitations (no SSL support, can't use a hostname for a backend address). I already had Varnish wrapped inside 2 layers of Nginx to get around Varnish's limitations, so I thought this'd be easy. I spent all last week banging my head against a wall, trying to figure out why different browsers were generating different entries in the cache for the same URIs. I eventually finally tracked it down to the Vary header. Thing is, I had tried telling Nginx to ignore that header awhile back. It didn't work the first time because I had overridden the value in another section of the config file. That is one of most annoying sorrows when you're the one that shot yourself in the foot.

A coworker once said, after facing a similar issue, “I’m amazed the computing industry ever gotnout of some guy’s garage”.

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    tbone1 said:

A coworker once said, after facing a similar issue, “I’m amazed the computing industry ever gotnout of some guy’s garage”.

Sometimes I have no clue how I'm in charge of all the expensive infrastructure that I run. If only Amazon had stayed in Bezos' parents garage...
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @FinneousPJ Outa the sling? Sounds like everything is coming along as it should. Heh, I got the rubber bands as well and the lil weights. I'm glad you found that doc back then, after the other would not operate. Slow n easy is the way, no matter what. :)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @Dev6
    I won't consider it insignificant, a sperm whale is a mammal just like us, and like dolphins, whales are one of the most sensitive animals around.
    @Son_of_Imoen Dolphins are sociopathic killers. In fact, they are known for slaughtering pigmy whales whenever they come across them.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited May 2018
    ThacoBell said:

@Son_of_Imoen Dolphins are sociopathic killers.

So are humans, though.
    O_Bruce said:

@Dev6
    You might consider it not significant, but the fact is it made you feel sad. To me it means you have emphaty for other living things besides humans and that's I really respect.

I honestly feel that a lack of empathy for other living things is one of the reasons humans are fucking up the world.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Dev6 said:

ThacoBell said:

@Son_of_Imoen Dolphins are sociopathic killers.

So are humans, though.
    Therefore Dolphins are humans...
    @Dev6 SOME humans are. Dolphins in general are more kill happy than just about any other creature.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    ThacoBell said:

@Dev6 SOME humans are. Dolphins in general are more kill happy than just about any other creature.

The difference between an omnivore and an obligate carnivore perhaps.
    @BillyYank Dolphins kill for fun. Especially Pygmy Whales and baby seals. If I recal correctly, only domestic cats and chimpanzees are known to kill for fun as well.
    And Humans. I guess we made a list of the smarter animals on this globe.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Guess I got duped by the dolphins then.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    ThacoBell said:

This is why we were putting them in tuna cans in the 80's.