Skip to content

Poll: Worst/Most Hated Star Wars Character

gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
edited March 2018 in Off-Topic
So with The Last Jedi now coming out on Blu Ray and DVD it's reignited the controversy of the film. I thought it would be fun to discuss which characters are now the most hated, as I've personally seen a shift in that hierarchy since the new movie came out. I'm curious about opinions, so feel free to share different opinions, but be civil! Feel free to include characters from any of the canon works. EDIT: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

So which character do YOU hate the most?
  1. Poll: Worst/Most Hated Star Wars Character37 votes
    1. Jar Jar Binks
      62.16%
    2. Rose
        5.41%
    3. Holdo
        8.11%
    4. C3-PO
        0.00%
    5. Ewoks
        0.00%
    6. Other (Specify)
      24.32%
Post edited by gugulug5000 on
booinyoureyesBalrog99ThacoBell

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Young Anakin. Way to turn Lord Vader into a manchild, George.

Jar Jar was annoying, but he was supposed to be annoying, so... meh?

Rose was pointless, but being a pointless character isn’t as bad as taking an established character and ruining him.

Holdo is a minor character who died. Again, meh?

C3-PO is like Jar Jar. He’s meant to be annoying.

Ewoks were more hilarious than rage-inducing to me.

Honestly, Anakin was the biggest letdown in my opinion.
    gugulug5000mashedtatersNonnahswriterthemazingness
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Very interesting, and totally valid @Nimran. I agree Young Anakin is bad. My thoughts on the selection:

Jar Jar: Like you said, he's annoying, but that's how he was supposed to be. To me, he's very bad, but to a point that it's fun to hate him.

Rose: Kind of annoying, pretty pointless character. Her crashing into Finn at the end and telling her she loves him after knowing him for 18 hours is horrible writing. Talk about cringe.

Holdo: Pointless character, has no personality, her only point is to make Poe look dumb. She bobs her head annoyingly when she talks, her purple hair is distractingly stupid. Her staying behind to pilot the ship is dumb (no autopilot? really? or why don't they just leave the ship floating in the direction it is? Why does it need to be piloted?). Her whole 'plot' should have been given to Leia or Akbar. She seems like an obvious and overbearing example of feminism (I'm not anti feminist, I just like well made characters and she was not well made). I could go on but I think i said enough.

C3-PO: You nailed it. Some people really hate him though oddly enough.

Ewoks: The original 'worst part of Star Wars.' I grew up after the original trilogy was already released so I didn't mind them.

I like the young Anakin choice though. Totally agree he's bad.
    Nimran
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't think it is worth much time spending on dicussing hatred on ficional characters, but since I have nothing else to do on this forum as of late...

I vote Rose, simply because she felt pointless. Holdo at least had a purpose in the story I realize. I'm too mature to be angry at Jar Jar. I never found C3-PO especially annoying. So yes, Rose it is.
    mashedtaters
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Jar Jar basically ruined the entire first movie for me. Unbelievably bad character...
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    There is no debate here, Jar Jar is by far the worst, and if you don't believe me, try sit through "The Phantom Menace" in 2018. It's almost unwatchable.
    Balrog99ThacoBellBelleSorciere
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Why is Kylo Ren not on this poll?

I haven’t seen the latest movie so I don’t know who Rose or Holdo is. I will say that I disliked The Force Awakens so much that when I went back to watch the first 3 in the trilogy I was like, to @Nimran ‘s point, “You know, in comparison, Hayden Christensen actually didn’t do too bad!”

But talk about manchild... freaking Kylo Ren! I liked the concept of a failed Sith Lord, but it just came off as trying TOO hard to appeal to “millennialis” by embodying the incorrect assumption that others perceive as whiny, have-it-all children on a hormonal rampage, with a wannabe-evil-doers complex and too much time and ambition on their hands.

So don’t feel bad spoiling The last Jedi for me as I may not even watch it.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't really feel I care enough to use words as strong as hate. Jar jar is annoying for sure.
    edited March 2018
    @mashedtaters If you didn't like The Force Awakens, then definitely stay clear of The Last Jedi. These results are pretty interesting so far to me, though obviously it's still not a very big sample. My personal group of friends and family have a very different perspective so far.

EDIT: I added a possible spoiler warning in case there are people who are concerned about spoilers.
    mashedtaters
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Jar jar, without a doubt. Turning the whole thing into a comedy... sure, Star Wars was always a bit light-hearted, but this character was just plain slapstick. He never did anything even remotely useful throughout the entire film, yet somebody decides to not only take him off his home planet but takes him to a market known for being frequented by dangerous criminals... I hate useless sidekick characters who just mess everything up, at least make him a bit useful to justify his being there at all.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @semiticgod

"It was a welcome subversion of a very old trope that youth and confidence trump experience and wisdom. "

Which never appeared and never existed in Star Wars.
    Perhaps Johnson should have remembered occasionally which films he was attempting to subvert?

And strange you should say that because I have rarely seen a film where so little respect has been shown towards older characters and their "wisdom and experience" than The Last Jedi.

Or did Rey have immense "wisdom and experience" compared to Luke when she knocked him out with a stick, or Han and Chewie when she mended then flew the Falcon?
    And how about the way a "young but obviously more wise and more experienced" Kylo managed to triumph over Snoke with little more than a parlour trick?
    And lets not forget of course the way the "experienced and highranking" Plasma was killed by the inexperienced young janitor.
    And Poe tricking the "high ranking and experienced" commander Hux with a yo Mama joke?

"A realistic character like Holdo"
    Oh what the character who had the rank of Admiral in a small tight knit community of rebels on a single ship who nobody recognised even though she had stupid hair and wafted around in evening dress?
    That Holdo, of course, ultra realistic portrayal.
    Of course no high ranking officer who led the squadrens of pilots would have ever crossed her path or know anything about her.
    Maybe she had been on annual leave?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It starts.

Rose, AKA Shrek.
    (the likeness is uncanny)
    O_Bruce said:

It starts.

Still hear that in the monkey's voice from The Lion King because of the game.

Died so many times, and then "it starts", it's branded on my subconscious.

O_Bruce
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    When in doubt, hate the main protagonist. Always.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

@semiticgod

"It was a welcome subversion of a very old trope that youth and confidence trump experience and wisdom. "

Which never appeared and never existed in Star Wars.
    Perhaps Johnson should have remembered occasionally which films he was attempting to subvert?

Mostly I was referring to Luke's successes in the original trilogy despite his limited training.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Oh what the character who had the rank of Admiral in a small tight knit community of rebels on a single ship who nobody recognised even though she had stupid hair and wafted around in evening dress?
    Of course no high ranking officer who led the squadrens of pilots would have ever crossed her path or know anything about her.

Holdo came from the expanded universe. I'd never heard of her, but apparently she played a larger role in some other Star Wars story.

Holdo came from the expanded universe. I'd never heard of her, but apparently she played a larger role in some other Star Wars story.
    So in other words the film portrayed an unrealistic character in a poorly portrayed world.

Will this be a new thing?

Perhaps they could remake Casablanca with Ilsa not getting on that plane but have some random running up at the last moment and taking her away from it all. And then having it explained in the accompanying book that in fact this was her true love that she just hadn't mentioned to anyone before.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Besides the worst character, I think the worst scene in all the films is far and away when C-3PO's head is put on a droid during the battle of Genosis in "Attack of the Clones", though Obi-Wan getting vital information from a massive CGI short-order cook is a close runner-up.
    ThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I think it’s whoever green-lighted the Christmas Special.
    ThacoBellmashedtatersgugulug5000Nimran

To be honest, all the movies kind of fit these negative descriptions and tropes. We look at the older movies with sort of nostalgia goggles, but they were pretty much along the same lines. I think the only reason they were so well received at the time was because nothing like them had been seen before.
    I think if we are all honest and if could imagine upgraded episodes 4-6 with a new star cast and new high quality graphics but kept the writing all the same, they wouldn’t stand the test of time like they do now.

I profoundly disagree.

Nobody judges books, paintings, music by what has been created since the originals were created.
    Why should films be seen differently?
    And games for that matter.

After the travesty of watching TLJ, we came home and were on the net letting off steam and happened across a scene from A New Hope.
    Alec Guiness telling Luke about his father, about the Jedi, about the lightsabre. I'm sure you all know the scene. It was superb cinema, acting, music, lighting, shots, pacing ect.

That will always be superb cinema and it exists and no amount of pointing at people and saying "oh look at you nostalgia junkies" will change it.

And what negative trope was it portraying?
    Somebody please explain how Obi Wan and his interaction with Luke displays the "negative trope" of young brash know it all winning out against the wisdom of his/her older mentors.

Luke loses because he doesn't listen.
    Rey in TLJ knocks Luke out with a stick.

Han and Chewie with all their experience can't fix the Falcon.
    Rey can and does with none.

mashedtaters

Besides the worst character, I think the worst scene in all the films is far and away when C-3PO's head is put on a droid during the battle of Genosis in "Attack of the Clones", though Obi-Wan getting vital information from a massive CGI short-order cook is a close runner-up.

I don't know, there are quite a few bad moments. That one is bad yes, but what about the "I don't like sand" part? Or Jake Lloyd as Anakin shouting "Yipee!" *shudders*

And from the sequel trilogy there are moments like Rose telling Fin that we need to save what we love, literally as the giant cannon thingy is blowing up the gate, and FIn could have prevented it. Or Luke milking that things udder-balls. There are so many it's hard to choose! Haha

@tbone1 I have tried numerous times to watch the Christmas Special to try and at least say that I've seen it, and I can't make it through the first ten minutes. As divisive as the Prequels and the Sequels have been, I think everyone can agree that the Christmas Special is rock bottom.
    tbone1
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited March 2018
    The only good thing about Holdo is that she won't be in any more movies.
    gugulug5000UnderstandMouseMagic

To be honest, all the movies kind of fit these negative descriptions and tropes. We look at the older movies with sort of nostalgia goggles, but they were pretty much along the same lines. I think the only reason they were so well received at the time was because nothing like them had been seen before.
    I think if we are all honest and if could imagine upgraded episodes 4-6 with a new star cast and new high quality graphics but kept the writing all the same, they wouldn’t stand the test of time like they do now.

I profoundly disagree.

Nobody judges books, paintings, music by what has been created since the originals were created.
    Why should films be seen differently?
    And games for that matter.

After the travesty of watching TLJ, we came home and were on the net letting off steam and happened across a scene from A New Hope.
    Alec Guiness telling Luke about his father, about the Jedi, about the lightsabre. I'm sure you all know the scene. It was superb cinema, acting, music, lighting, shots, pacing ect.

That will always be superb cinema and it exists and no amount of pointing at people and saying "oh look at you nostalgia junkies" will change it.

And what negative trope was it portraying?
    Somebody please explain how Obi Wan and his interaction with Luke displays the "negative trope" of young brash know it all winning out against the wisdom of his/her older mentors.

Luke loses because he doesn't listen.
    Rey in TLJ knocks Luke out with a stick.

Han and Chewie with all their experience can't fix the Falcon.
    Rey can and does with none.

I’m judging the originals by the merits of their writing, not by what has come since.

Take for example the scene: “I was going to go to hitachi station to get some power converters!” Whiny farm-boy turned chosen one due to ancestry trope had been used and abused for years before the Skywalkers came around with their own unique flare.

Or the scene: “Use the force, Luke...” *deathstar explodes from incalculably “lucky” shot that no one else could make and at the last minute just as all was lost due to mythical powers*

Just the idea that the deathstar has only one exploitable weakness that results in its downfall is a trope as old as Achilles.

From the revelations of Darth Vader being the protagonist’s blood relative to the Empire being the “bad guys” with no redeemable qualities and the Rebel Alliance being the “good guys” unworthy of criticism, the whole first trilogy is filled with references to ancient and modern tropes and borrows from works as old as religion: I mean, come on, a group of celibate old men who have mystical powers that can alter reality?

Not criticizing the movies. I’m just saying that many criticisms leveled against episodes 1-3 and even the newer ones can be applied to the originals from the 70s.
    ThacoBellronaldololien
    I surprised myself recently, though, when I re-watched the original 6. I used to dislike episodes 1-3, mainly because of Jar Jar and Hayden Christiansen. But after watching them, I think I really like revenge of the sith (episode 3). It has an original plot line in comparison to the others, the fight scenes are really good, and it’s not ashamed to be without a happy ending. It definitely has its flaws. But overall, it is at least in my top 3 favorite Star Wars movies (love Empire Strikes Back and enjoyed Rogue One, as well).
    booinyoureyesThacoBellBalrog99gugulug5000
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Unpopular opinion: Phantom Menace is much, much better than Attack of the Clones
    ThacoBellmashedtatersSkatanlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Unpopular opinion: Phantom Menace is much, much better than Attack of the Clones

I agree, but only because "Duel of the Fates" is just that good.
    StummvonBordwehrgugulug5000booinyoureyes