Skip to content

What is your current quest in life ?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @Zaghoul, thanks mate. I dunno why, but it always make me feel a bit better hearing someone else knows what you go through.

Thanks @Contemplative_Hamster as well. We're in the middle of IVF already, tried naturally for over two years before that, so well into our third year trying now. It seems it's the eggs that won't "stay" so now my GF is blaming herself for our failures and it's hitting her hard. We've already taken all the measures we can naturally, eat very healthy, add nutrition like foliac acid and whatever, but nothing takes. The eggs are good, the sperm is good, but the egg won't "attach" itself and stay. Dunno the correct English terms for it.

@TStael, thanks for having my back, but please let it go. I don't want this to turn into an argument back and forth. I wrote this during a day that was really, really rough since my GF had a bad day after another failed attempt and I had to carry her pain as well as my own.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @TStael It was a jest, and people over thirty definitely laughed. Because pregnancies never seem to arrive at a good time. In fact, good friends of mine tried to have a baby for five years. The week after she get let go during a company merger, the test came back positive. And if she could laugh at it at the time, I think we can laugh at it.

In the words of Bertram Wilberforce Wooster, “if that isn’t life, I don’t know what is.”
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    tbone1 said:

@TStael It was a jest, and people over thirty definitely laughed. Because pregnancies never seem to arrive at a good time. In fact, good friends of mine tried to have a baby for five years. The week after she get let go during a company merger, the test came back positive. And if she could laugh at it at the time, I think we can laugh at it.

In the words of Bertram Wilberforce Wooster, “if that isn’t life, I don’t know what is.”

Hahaa, that was really funny, @tbone1 dear!

You seem to imply that wanting a child when it is difficult, or expecting continued employment when having a child, also, is sooo freaking funny in being hard.

Your good friend hopefully had a proper social security for the unemployed, and/or for expecting parent - and maybe a bit better friends than, you, too? I certainly would not like my unfortunate situation to be cited as an excuse to taunt persons whom have hard time having children.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Don't you think it's well past time to let this one go?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I see nothing positive coming from this argument. I foresee that no one will come out of it either happier or more enlightened.

A discussion that is neither fun nor informative is not a discussion worth spending time or energy on.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited May 2018
    ThacoBell said:

My current quest has been completed! My son is able to walk on his now. I can't wait for his quarantine to be lifted so we can take him out for walks.

@ThacoBell Good deal, I'm glad to hear that. :) I think it is amazing to watch the drive to get better, and/or ignore problems, in young children, especially in the youngest, who often seem to have no idea of the concept of feeling sorry for themselves and letting that potentially get in the way of life.
    Great news @ThacoBell!! Makes me very glad to hear it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Thanks guys :), I'm super proud to see my little one graduate from physical therapy. Now we need to get him caught up with speech.
    Yeah, I had trouble with that when I was five. I broke both my middle fingers and lost the ability to communicate. [RIMSHOT] Thank you, I'm here all week! Tip your waitress! Help her back up!
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    edited May 2018
    My next quest is to go in vacations in a nice place, with beach, nice drinks, sun and being able to wake up late on the morning. Fed up with going to warzones, islamic dictatorships and radioactive zones.

I'm getting too old for these...
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    All I want is to live in Waterdeep.
    Matthieu said:

My next quest is to go in vacations in a nice place, with beach, nice drinks, sun and being able to wake up late on the morning. Fed up with going to warzones, islamic dictatorships and radioactive zones.

@Matthieu How was the area round Chernobyl that you were headed to?
    @Matthieu So, Chicago, then? Or “Chi-raq”, as one friend calls it
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Matthieu said:

Well the obvious question is how far are you from the Mediterranean? Or is domestic holidaying too boring lol
    edited May 2018
    Always prefered the atlantic to the mediterranean. I'm like 2h30 aways from the med and 1h30 away from the atlantic.

@Zaghoul

Well, I think it's very interesting from a technical and historic perspective, especially if you have done some homework first and learned about the accident, why it happened and how it was managed. I was surprised by how close the city centre was from the plant, I mean it was very close, the inhabitant there must have taken a lot of radioactivity considering it took days for the authorities to move their ass (and then only when the west exposed the incident, global shame). The city of Pripiat was very dense, so very small. The city centre is composed of mainly a supermarket, a theatre, a stadium (small kind) and a leisure park.

Like all soviet designed park, the leisure park is full of metalic angles on its playground, sure kids always love metalic angles. Nowadays nature is everywhere, there's dogs, cats, supposedly bears and wolves but I didn't see any and.... shitload of mosquitoes. They told us to wear long sleeves before going but I didn't expect the mosquitoes onslaught I experienced there. I pity the British tourists with us who whore short sleeves and short pants (ever wondered why British tourists always dress like this?). The city itself is interesting for urbex but too many mosquitoes, it made it really hard to take time to get pictures without being interrupted and swearing.

We were allowed to get as close as 300m to the new sarcophagus, impressive thing. Ran into a Bouygues technicians there (the main builder).

After that we went to the Russian woodpecker. That giant radar which was supposed to detect the launching of ICBM from the USA. The radar was running at low frequency with a huge power, the signal bouncing on the ion sphere to detect events despire the earth curve. It was so powerful it could be heard on the phone in the 80s and disrupt communications (thousands of complains were issued against the kid playing with a strong low frequency emiter) and they found out by cross-referencing the USSR was doing it. The radar itself seemingly never worked properly. As the guide put it: it's like everything Soviet, they had to made it bigger than the USA, it cost a fortune and it never worked.

We also went to Pobuz'ke to the south of Kiev (other direction) to visit a derelict ballistic missile launching facility. After the fall of the USSR three countries inherited of a nuclear arsenal on their ground, Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine. Kazakhstan transfered everything to Russia and Ukraine decided to have its arsenal disarmed by the international nuclear agency. So no more nuke in Ukraine but the facilities are still there. It's a lot of underground corridor, lots of ladders, a tiny elevator. All rounded up, don't go there if you're big, you won't be able to squeeze in. Outside there is one of the "Satan" missile parket, it's like a small Ariane rocket in size so big it is. The guide was always like "poor guys staying 40 days in there..." yeah well, better off in one of these than a submarine let me tell you that.
    tbone1 said:

@Matthieu So, Chicago, then? Or “Chi-raq”, as one friend calls it

Having been to Iran a couple of years ago I now need a VISA to enter the USA (because, well, Trump) which means applying, paying and getting interrogated.

All in all... just no. I'll go elsewhere. A friend invited me to Columbia, might go these see the jungle, ocelots and oncillas (love those cats).
    edited May 2018
    To keep on the news, late June we're going with two workmates to the mountains (the Pyrenees) for a macrophotography and landscape (and maybe animals) photo session. We all have digital cams, I don't have a macro lens but I'll get one.

I'm hesitating between a 30mm f/2.8 from Panasonic, a 60mm f/2.8 from Olympus and the Nanoha Macrom from Yasuhaha. The concept of this lens is intriguiting as it uses LEDs instead of a large aperture and it delivers great photos for a reasonable price (all things considered). Only problem is it's full manual + you need an external battery for it.

My 40-150mm f/2.8 from Olympus will do the rest, animals and all.

This will also be a step forward the Columbia trip, since the jungle is a perfect place for macros. I'll just need a tropicalized cam and I'm set for it.
    Currently, it's health. Again. Last week, as if I didn't have enough health issues, I got a case of shingles on my right hand. Ugh.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    My current quest is trying to get married in Brazil, then bring my pregnant wife back to England.

Reading the other messages here, I won't give advice, but a part of my story was overcoming depression, finding a woman, enjoying life. I put all my effort to discover the source of my unhappiness, found contentment...after that everything took care of itself... I lost weight because I didn't need food as pleasure, my woman found me because I was now happy and confident, I left my job because I realized happiness is greater than money... And instead of keep putting off making a family for the perfect time, decided without a job, or medical insurance, or a house... We'll make it work like everyone else does

[this is me... had a bit of an account issue, which semiticgod kindly fixed... I'm not banned]
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Don't believe it you guys this is clearly a conspiracy by @semiticgod To the streets! Prime the guillotine! Fight the oppressors!

...nevermind, I'm being contacted by an agent of @semiticgod Please my fellow forumites pray for the safe return of my pregnant wife.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    @FinneousPJ you just made my day :D
    edited May 2018
    Got meself a macro lens, went none of the above mentioned, I got the Panasonic/Leica 45mm f/2.8 MACRO. My previous Pana/Leica lense (the 12mm f/1.4) is badass and as a satisfied customer I return to them.

So late june with two wormates we're going around for macrophotography and wildlife. Guess it's better than these executive, duck hunting, events.

My mom's former home (she sold it for a flat) was next to a bog (don't understimate how spare population can be in the French pyrenees) and we could go there, carnivorous plants and all. I remember taking good pictures of snow covered bogs as a teen with my compact of the time. Well we can forget the snow this season though.

We could also go up the mountains, take hawks, falcons or the desman is we can find one (that: http://www.letribunaldunet.fr/videos/desman-pyrenees-espece-vulnerable-france.html )

Plenty of flowers and protected species too. Guess it'll be change of scenery compared to Chernobyl.
    @Matthieu I really like the overgrown 'town that looks forgotten' pictures. They look like something out of a Sci-Fi/Horror movie set. I have been to a few old towns myself that have places similar, not from radiation like that one, but just economic problems. They always give me pause to think on how it looked when still 'alive', what the people might have gone through, and feel's strange walking/driving through them.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited May 2018
    Find time to finish mods. I'll pay handsomely for scrolls of Haste.

Thanks for sharing @Matthieu! I have a friend who's going to Kiev this summer on vacation and we talked yesterday that she had to go visit Pripiat. Dang, I would like to go as well. It looks so eerie, in a good way.
    You know, it's funny earlier this year in my numenera campaign I introduced mosquitoes both as a nuisance and a tool.

The PCs entered a dense marsh full of these, and they were protected (talking with nearby villagers they knew about the issue). They entered the long forgotten ruin of an ancient civilization and the majordome (holographic projection of the managing computer) asked for help to get rid of a Maw (from the Bloom, an interdimentional predator looking like a giant tumor who has maws everywhere on the ninth world and beyong acting as portals).

To get rid of the maw they used a portal opening a gateway outside so mosquitoes rushed to the maw and fed on it until it was bled.