Skip to content

Underdeveloped Storylines: Which Sidequest do You Think Deserved More Love?

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173

ThacoBell said:

The guared compound was going to be part of the slavers stuff. The Versus Books strategy guide even called that encounter the "Slave Lords".

It is worth noting that some of the enemies you encounter in the Guarded Compound had names in common with some of the Slave Lords from the A-series of 1E modules. The rogue Ketta & the cleric Stalman in the Guarded Compound would seem to be based on the modules' thief "Slippery" Ketta & cleric Stalman Klim . I don't recall that any of the other enemies in the Guarded Compound have as close a connection to the module Slave Lords, which I consider a pity - the A-series was a huge part of my original AD&D experience & whipping the Slave Lords once & for all in BG2 would have been a dream come true. ;)

Your dream has come true @PaulGreystoke, sort've. The Classic Adventures total conversion for vanilla has the Slave Lords.
    PaulGreystoke
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @LudovikH I don't like giant bloated questlines with game breaking items and exp curves. Its not how I play the game. Calling me "predjudiced" is unneccssary.
    booinyoureyes
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    Well not long ago i read some NPC revision about Saelirth(something like that) and review author write : I only instal this one, because this give you alternation to ST\Bodhi choice. And those 2 "paths" was really unacceptable for especialy Lawful Good(or good) alignment roleplay. So I wolud say that lack of "good" choice is some kind of plot hole.
  • LudovikHLudovikH Member Posts: 46

Well not long ago i read some NPC revision about Saelirth(something like that) and review author write : I only instal this one, because this give you alternation to ST\Bodhi choice. And those 2 "paths" was really unacceptable for especialy Lawful Good(or good) alignment roleplay. So I wolud say that lack of "good" choice is some kind of plot hole.

There is a path in Saerileth NPC mod but it requires you to romance that planetary child paladin.
    Rather use the Alternatives mod in the post above from @CamDawg. It offers such choices without the need of above romance or other extra requirements. With that mod you end up with four choices to go to Brynnlaw, one of them suits everyone.
    MateoFrozenmashedtaters
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    LudovikH said:

jastey said:

LudovikH said:

Standard answer:
    - EET
    - megamod

"Standard Answer"? It's still Sandrah Saga. Sandrah Saga =/= EET megamodinstall. EET megamodinstall =/= Sandrah Saga.

Yes, the Sandrah mod adds a lot of content and quest closures and additions. It also adds an all-dominant NPC you have to take along, which is a great drawback.

I was not referring to any specific mod. There are several.
    I was just joking to the guy who hates EET and megamods to show him that all his wishes could come true if he forgot his prejudice.
    I think for Voleta you just need someone with healing skills in the party to restore her. The quest that made me meet her again was related to Amber (another mod NPC) if I remember right.
    i know your refereeing to @ThacoBell but i have stated in the past that i also hate it when ever someone talks about closure and sandrath gets mentioned.

it starts getting on my nerves like ' oh you want this to be resolved, you need to play eet and if you don't like that then your out of luck and should not ask."

ThacoBellMalicronbooinyoureyes
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    booinyoureyes
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    ThacoBell said:

Now I would love a mod that tied together the Slavers, guarded compund, and the Twisted Rune in a nice little quest chain. Hopefully someone does one that is not EET required. I see a lot of neat ideas end up packaged in EET megamods, which just kills me.

Pretty sure Vlad did something about that in Baldurdash. Please don't shoot me ;)
    Although, if you consider that he recently merged most of his mods into one compilation (and I'm not sure if its EE-compatible), that may very well constitute another kind of megamod horror.
    tbone1
    edited April 2018
    Ardanis said:

ThacoBell said:

Now I would love a mod that tied together the Slavers, guarded compund, and the Twisted Rune in a nice little quest chain. Hopefully someone does one that is not EET required. I see a lot of neat ideas end up packaged in EET megamods, which just kills me.

Pretty sure Vlad did something about that in Baldurdash. Please don't shoot me ;)
    Although, if you consider that he recently merged most of his mods into one compilation (and I'm not sure if its EE-compatible), that may very well constitute another kind of megamod horror.
    Vlad's compilation is not EE compatible.
    That compilation now combines Tortured Souls and Neverending Journey and Baldurdash into one MEGA-mega mod - or rather game conversion.
    Since it requires a BGT installation for basis, it probably never will be EE unless you re-code it completely. And since BGT is not equal to EET, nobody can shoot me this time.
    And the author announced retirement from modding about a year ago.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    That was answering a question, without shilling for EET. So yes, it's acceptable.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Ardanis said:

ThacoBell said:

Actually, it was Dorner in the original Baldurdash. It wasn't much:

Restored Slave Lord & Twisted Rune Quest Fix enables severed dialog threads and adds an improvised item to restore the severed links of the Twisted Rune quest, which was intended for the game but appears to have been forgotten about as all its components are still present. Until this point it's been enigmatic encounters and locations with no clues that they are interconnected. (Note: This fix includes the previously separate Disappearing Rogue Stone Autosave fix.)

Last time I looked at Vladerdash, to his credit Vlad had separated it out to a separate component since it was in no way a fix.

ronaldo
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ronaldobooinyoureyesThacoBell
    edited April 2018

The doomsayer from the archeology dig. I wish there was more to it. Maybe a cult out to get the Kozah statue. :)

Taking Samuel, the injured guy from the SE wilderness, to the Friendly Arm Inn. It could have been interesting to get the Flaming Fist involved afterwards.

I thought Gandolar Luckyfoot would have had more quests to give. And the druid stronghold for sure could use more quests.

I wish I were allowed to tell you where you find them, they are covered in (censored).

BTW Kozah was an older incarnation of Talos. And Samuel deserted the Fist because of Angelo Dosan's involvement with Sarevok.
    [Deleted User]Raduziel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    LudovikH said:

And Samuel deserted the Fist because of Angelo Dosan's involvement with Sarevok.

Angelo wasn't the head of the Flaming Fist yet. Where do you get that information from?

LudovikH said:

And Samuel deserted the Fist because of Angelo Dosan's involvement with Sarevok.

Angelo wasn't the head of the Flaming Fist yet. Where do you get that information from?
    It's all in the mods...

He was not the head yet but already conspiring with Sarevok. He was not chosen overnight. There is an Angelo (not-mega) mod where he talks about the good old days. And Samuel is hunted by other deserters who think that he will talk to the Fist AND by the Fist themselves. He wakes up once when you bring him to FAI and it is more interesting if Shar-Teel (Angelo's daughter) is in party.
    LudovikH said:

LudovikH said:

It's all in the mods...

He was not the head yet but already conspiring with Sarevok. He was not chosen overnight. There is an Angelo (not-mega) mod where he talks about the good old days. And Samuel is hunted by other deserters who think that he will talk to the Fist AND by the Fist themselves. He wakes up once when you bring him to FAI and it is more interesting if Shar-Teel (Angelo's daughter) is in party.
    I don't know why you keep treating mods as canon
    ThacoBellMalicron
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2018
    I find it nice that people create mods but to link everything to everything is going too far. I would like some open ends closed but on their own accord, not by tieing it in with the bigger plots as modders tend to do.

I would like a follow up of the couple in the crooked crane. We never hear from them again as far as I can remember.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellMalicronNonnahswriter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited April 2018
    lroumen said:

I would like a follow up of the couple in the crooked crane. We never hear from them again as far as I can remember.

There's a little bit more of this restored by Unfinished Business, specifically the Restored Crooked Crane component.
    UB readme said:

With the exception of the lich-in-the-wall, the Crooked Crane Inn has never been very worthwhile. Bioware seems to have had some plans for the inn, however. The two new gambler characters and a follow-up of the Aulava-Tiiro episode were not implemented due to a scripting mismatch. The inn is now restored to its original conception.

lroumenMalicron
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Interesting!
    edited April 2018

LudovikH said:

LudovikH said:

It's all in the mods...

I don't know why you keep treating mods as canon
    I'm not treating mods as canon.
    But Beamdog stated many times that by contract they were not allowed to change original game content. So, if you look for some issues to be finished then you need to look for mods rather than next game version. Because that will fix technical bugs but not story issues.
    And it's not at all about canon, whatever that is, it's about possibilities in the game and how they might have gone or ended. Mods play with options just like using them is optional.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    I have always wondered why the 3 “hidden” areas (North forrest etc.) where left inaccesable until chapter 6.

Elhan advises you to get some aid dealing with Bodhi - and the areas pop up.

You do meet Coran, but the help is found in the city and on the road. Whats really the big deal with these areas - besides the semi though fight at the alter and the hidden entrance to the elven city? I would likes to see the areas getting some love... a soultaker dagger plot would fit in nicely there if you are inclined that way.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]Malicronmashedtaters
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342

CamDawg said:

I have always wondered why the 3 “hidden” areas (North forrest etc.) where left inaccesable until chapter 6.

Chapter 6 was intended to be a longer fetch quest. You would still need to retrieve the Rynn Lanthorn from Bodhi, but then you would also have to hunt down missing lenses for it. Some of those pieces would have been located in the newly revealed areas. You can still see traces of it in the game--c6lens.itm, plus Elhan's original dialogue file, c6elhan.dlg. While all of the actual dialogue has been blanked, you can still see some outlines of the quest in the variable names, actions, etc.

I could have sworn this was in UB or Almateria's Restoration Pack, but I don't see it in either.
    To be honest I’m glad this wasn’t part of the game. It would have really messed up the pacing after the climactic fight with one of the major villains.
    I partially agree.

I would love to have more official gameplay added to the game, but I also get the sense of urgency once you leave underdark in chapter 6.

But the games as it is leaves the three areas in a limbo of some sort - I rarely go there... CDtweaks handles this easily (in so many ways) but I would have liked the official game to have handled it better.
    [Deleted User]
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    I would like to see Husam the shadow thief in their Athkatla HQ, and drink with him some ale. And Jardak the evil warrior with helm of glory and his sidekick Drelik - they deserve some quest! Hurgan Stoneblade at Nalia fathers funeral should at least recognize Charname too.
    booinyoureyestbone1

CamDawg said:

Chapter 6 was intended to be a longer fetch quest. You would still need to retrieve the Rynn Lanthorn from Bodhi, but then you would also have to hunt down missing lenses for it. Some of those pieces would have been located in the newly revealed areas. You can still see traces of it in the game--c6lens.itm, plus Elhan's original dialogue file, c6elhan.dlg. While all of the actual dialogue has been blanked, you can still see some outlines of the quest in the variable names, actions, etc.

I could have sworn this was in UB or Almateria's Restoration Pack, but I don't see it in either.
    To be honest I’m glad this wasn’t part of the game. It would have really messed up the pacing after the climactic fight with one of the major villains.
    Speaking of pacing, I recently beat BG1 again and the end of the game is so epic. I felt so strong an urge to go face Sarevok and thwart his plans that I totally forgot to do the Tales of the Sword Coast portion. Had to go back and do it again.
    ThacoBelltbone1mashedtaters
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

CamDawg said:

I agree, but it could have been incorporated by simply removing the dialog, "oh she must have gone back to Athkatla".
    Never have understood why she went back there anyway, wouldn't she have wanted to stay close to Irenicus?

Instead you start to hunt her through the areas, across country so as to speak, and she is finally forced to retreat to Athkatla. Perhaps take charname's romantic interest much earlier in one of the areas?
    Rather than the rather crowded, haphazard scene in the Graveyard.

How about she's heading to the Amaunator temple as now she's got a soul she's planning to devampirise herself, she had the books.
    tbone1MalicronMantis37Sanctifer