Skip to content

The Weather Thread.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
Apologies to @Rik_Kirtaniya for stealing his thunder, but I decided to start this thread for discussing the weather. Feel free to talk about the weather where you live and other things related to the weather.
Balrog99Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellSkatanlolienmashedtaters

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    @Mathsorcerer will love this thread. We should each start threads titled "How 'bout them (insert name of local sports team)" too!

Here in Michigan things are WET! I can't recall seeing this much rain in Spring in a very long time (if ever). Makes the yard swampy, the basement dank and the wood doors in the house have warped ever so slightly making them hard to close. I've had to turn on my AC when it's been in the low 70's outside just to get rid of the humidity!
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellmashedtaters
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Tresset said:

Apologies to @Rik_Kirtaniya for stealing his thunder, but I decided to start this thread for discussing the weather.

No apologies needed, @Tresset! :) In fact, I should thank you for saving me from lightning notifications by creating this thread yourself. ;)

Weather is a perennial topic, diverse, ever-changing, unpredictable, and in the hands of greater powers (whatever you may think that is), with us being mere spectators---- it's just like politics, but much more cooler. B) We'll have some good discussions here!

Here in Kolkata and most of the southern parts of West Bengal, we are having a surge of humidity (and that makes the summer heat even more oppressive than it should be), relieved by intermittent thundershowers caused by the Norwesters or as it is known here, the "Kalbaisakhi"s (meaning the darkness in the month of Baisakh). What I enjoy most is the cool breeze that accompanies the rains here, for it's so refreshing in the hot summer months. It's however less hot than it is in most years (and that makes me wonder if global warming is decreasing, though that is highly improbable).

At the moment, the sun is playing hide and seek with the clouds here.
    ThacoBelllolienmashedtaters
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2018
    Talos has been quite active lately. The amount of lightning storms, hurricanes, monsoon rains and floods are currently at a record high in Germany. And all of it with temperatures over 30°C. It's been so bad that people had to literally swim through the streets to reach their workplace.

Worse still are the fact that trains, trams and the metro have been thrown into utter chaos. A couple of Talos' lightning javelins had even smited my tram lines street cables, paralyzing a whole city district in Frankfurt am Main with it. What a glorious day that was...
    ThacoBelllolienRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I find that discussions of the weather can be rather... captivating.

Balrog99mashedtaters
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    We had a nasty thunderstorm earlier this week. Lightning struck a tree in our back yard. Looking at the rest of the neighborhood, lightning hit everyoen else too. Tree and limbs scattered ALL OVER. Every other fence was demolished too.
    Balrog99SkatanRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Here in the Netherlands it is quite hot and humid. It is around 25° C but also 53% humidity. Means that as I am packing for moving tomorrow I am sweating like an otter after 5 minutes of moving boxes. Not the best of times to plan a move :smile:. On the other hand, at least it is not raining.
    ThacoBellSkatanRik_Kirtaniya
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    here in Canada we've been experiencing some whacky weather as well

usually by this time of year where i live it should be hitting 30+ celsius, so i've been starting work around 5:45 in the morning to "beat the heat"

but recently its being damp and humid ( which is nice because we always get forest fires, as in usually a couple 100+ just in western canada alone, so the rain helps to slow that down, - apparently there were 1300 forest fires in British Columbia last year - )

so here i am in shorts and a t-shirt ready for 30+ weather, when it's been rainy and hovering around 15 celsius

i don't think i've ever seen June this chilly in western canada before
    Balrog99ThacoBellRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2018
    Still waiting for my “Global Colding“. It'll be just like an world wide Icewind Dale. Without annoying emo Drow Rangers, thar is.
    ThacoBellRik_Kirtaniyasarevok57mashedtaters
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    So after a day of rain, the nice weather came back again. Today is really perfect, 22 degrees, so cycling to work was amazing this morning and will be purrfect this afternoon.
    ThacoBellmashedtaters
    @voidofopinion HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA that spoiler was AMAZING
    voidofopinionThacoBelllolien
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Things are getting rather hot and moist, aren't they?

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I keep seeing this thread title and thinking of Nightvale

voidofopinionThacoBellmashedtaters
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    There used to be a good documentary series on TV (I don't remember which cable network it was) about times the weather has had a major influence on historical events, possibly even changing the outcome of history. For example, Napoleon may have lost his war of conquest when he failed to take into adequate account the Russian winter, and the disadvantage for his troops vs. the advantage for the well-acclimated Russians.
    ThacoBellsarevok57
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Here in the UK we talk about the weather a lot, not because it's severe or spectacular but because it changes all the bloody time - often from one hour to the next. Yet despite getting such a variety of weather we remain totally incapable of dealing with it - trains stop running when strong winds blow leaves onto the track, whole towns flood during a moderately heavy rainstorm, roads start melting in a "heatwave" and the whole country grinds to a halt if we get more than an inch of snow.
    FinneousPJSkatanThacoBelllolien
    dunbar said:

Here in the UK we talk about the weather a lot, not because it's severe or spectacular but because it changes all the bloody time - often from one hour to the next. Yet despite getting such a variety of weather we remain totally incapable of dealing with it - trains stop running when strong winds blow leaves onto the track, whole towns flood during a moderately heavy rainstorm, roads start melting in a "heatwave" and the whole country grinds to a halt if we get more than an inch of snow.

Hahaha, that sounds awfully a lot like Sweden as well.
    FinneousPJ
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited June 2018

Things are getting rather hot and moist, aren't they?

Very hot, and awfully wet...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Overcast my end.
    ThacoBellmashedtaters
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Anduin said:

Overcast my end.

You haven't even bought me dinner yet :p
    mashedtaters
    We're having a massive heat surge in Kolkata, with the temperature escalating to over 40°C. Humidity levels have risen even more, and even at 7:30 in the morning, the sun is intolerable. 12 noon makes the outside a furnace. No rains since the last week. The "loo" winds have been blowing hard during the daytime, and we have to take care to stay properly hydrated. The weather is so hostile that schools have received vacations for 10 days!

But I don't have to worry much. I am having my vacations (for a month or two more, before college starts), so I can stay peacefully in my home where it is naturally at least 10°C cooler than outside (due to the tactical placement of our rooms :sunglasses: ), and only need to switch on the AC after 12 noon. These days, my time passes reading books, playing games, and role-playing in the RP section of the Forums.
    ThacoBellSkatansarevok57lolien
    yesterday i was outside in the shade at 7pm and it was 35 C , ah good times, luckily its very dry where i live, so it was actually quite tolerable :)
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    deltago said:

How’s the weather you may ask? Well not to brag but:

29 C with a slight wind. A day to enjoy on ther patio with a nice cocktail.

Summer's so cool up in the north... In fact, this picture appears quite similar to how our winters look like! What irony! :D
    lolienThacoBellmashedtaters
    edited June 2018
    Hehe, love the thumb in the corner ;D @deltago . That kind of weather is just great, as long as its dry and not too humid, temps around 29-30+ is great.
    lolien