Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I've had similar issues with several BG2:EE spawns, like Jenia, a quest giver who spawns in Trademeet, Kruin's githyanki group, enemy vampire groups, etc.

The issue seems to affect a lot of NPCs who are supposed to spawn in dynamic locations, of which there's an abundance in BG2 (stronghold quest givers, companion quest givers, etc). It seems to be caused by changes to their spawn mechanics, which places these NPCs in seemingly random off-screen locations of the map, essentially breaking their quests and events.

Some recent dev updates to a ticket I submitted of this issue suggest that the changes are intentional:
    Adul said:

Judging from the change history of this ticket, it is indeed intended, and it sounds like it's there to stay: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37348

Which I find very unfortunate. This issue affects an untold number of quests and events in the game. It would most certainly require very thorough testing and development to work out all the problems, and I'm frankly doubtful of Beamdog's capacity to go on such an undertaking and make it all work flawlessly without reverting to the original behavior that worked.

Especially considering BG2:EE isn't quite a new game anymore. I'm not expecting dev support to last forever, and I find huge issues like this worrying for their possible impact on the game's legacy.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2018
    @Minsc2017 This sounds similar to https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37348.
    Adul said:

Some recent dev updates to a ticket I submitted of this issue suggest that the changes are intentional:

No, nothing is being suggested just yet. This ticket (internally) is still to go through triage.
    Adul

@Minsc2017 This sounds similar to https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37348.

Adul said:

No, nothing is being suggested just yet. This ticket (internally) is still to go through triage.
    Well, the ticket's title and description have been edited to state that the bug is not that Kruin's group spawns outside of the visible area, but that they do not attack the player party, which indicates intention to me. But I'm glad to hear that it's still to undergo triage.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Hi!

So... what's the forecast for SoD's update to 2.5 (you know, to meet the game it expands)?

Can you guys give me a hint about how this is going?

Pretty please?

Thanks!
    lolienAerakarProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Raduziel said:

Hi!

So... what's the forecast for SoD's update to 2.5 (you know, to meet the game it expands)?

Can you guys give me a hint about how this is going?

Pretty please?

Thanks!

Work on the 2.5 patch for SoD will start when BGEE and BG2EE get their official 2.5 release. FWIW I suspect that SoD will go much quicker, once the bugs for BG and BG2 are already ironed out.
    Raduziel
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    ThacoBell said:

Work on the 2.5 patch for SoD will start when BGEE and BG2EE get their official 2.5 release. FWIW I suspect that SoD will go much quicker, once the bugs for BG and BG2 are already ironed out.

Considering this it seems that the work on SoD 2.5 is already done and that 2.5 wiil be released soon on all platforms.
    ThacoBellProont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    Not a sign of the fix for proficiencies restriction for dual-class characters.

Edit: To clarify

When you make a dual-class character it follows the proficiency restrictions of the first class, instead of the those from its current class.
    Looks like its coming sooner than I thought. I'm surprised considering the initial announcement was to finish BG1 and 2 before releasing SoD. So does this mean that BG1 and 2 are basically finished at this point? Or have spiraled so out of control that they SoD had to be moved up?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    SoD v2.5 being released means that BGEE has to be v2.5 too. SoD is DLC on Steam and GOG, and the Beamdog version comes as a combined package (BGEE+SoD). So, you can't have SoD at v2.5 without BGEE.

Now BG2EE is another matter...

SoD v2.5 being released means that BGEE has to be v2.5 too. SoD is DLC on Steam and GOG, and the Beamdog version comes as a combined package (BGEE+SoD). So, you can't have SoD at v2.5 without BGEE.

Now BG2EE is another matter...

Yes, but this patch cycle was explicitly stated to be for BGEE standalone and BG2EE. Beamdog stated SoD was going to get its patch after 1 and 2 were patched. Of course, its all academic now.
  • Minsc2017Minsc2017 Member Posts: 34
    @Adul Yeah, I've run into another quest-breaking bad spawn and have returned to v2.3 where I think I'll be staying. For me personally, there's literally only one noticeable improvement to v2.5 and that's the "offhand Thac0" Inventory bug fix. Even that bug is purely cosmetic but my OCD hates it.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/23708

I haven't seen any posts about how/if it might be fixable strictly in v2.3 UI.menu. I can see sql tables being edited in UI.menu, and the bug involves displaying rows when they should be hidden (i.e. when you're holding a missile weapon and want to hide the offhand melee weapon stats).

AdulProont
    edited June 2018
    @Minsc2017 That's pretty good THAC0 though.

And yes, the spawn issue affects a lot of quests and encounters in BG2:EE, and also some in BG:EE. In the former case, now even more than ever. I've seen it happen with regular side quests, companion quests, stronghold quests, etc. It cannot be realistically determined just how many quests are affected without some serious effort put into testing, but the number seems very high, and as I said I do find it worrying for how it will affect the games going forward if there's no full reversion. Hopefully the upcoming triage Julius mentioned will yield the optimal outcome.

All of this over an issue that wasn't an issue in the first place until it was tinkered with. As a wise man once said, "don't fix what ain't broken."
    ThacoBellProontRavenslight
  • philipmikhphilipmikh Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    I- Is it intended that no "commoner" npc get uncouncious anymore in the current 2.5 beta update? that is really annyoing, beating them unarmed and they are immortal right now. i just loved to rob the entire house with no consequences with the npcs unconcious and unable to call the guard. Rolling back to the retail update fixed the problem. Don't want features being removed.

II- Is there tab always on a feature of the 2.5 update or a consequence of the old interface it uses? Because in the current version, it goes off when any other window is open, like map or character sheet. i just love that and would want a way to have that in the normal version, tab always on.

III- There is a bug with dorn. I recruited him but dismissed after finding coran, and he returned to the friendly arm inn. Problem is, as soon as i enter the inn, his dialogue starts automatically in a infinite loop, no matter whether i recruit him back or dismiss him, only way to stop it is to leave the inn, but if he is recruited back the dialogue never stops and i have to kill him.
    Proont
    @philipmikh

1 - this is a bug which will be fixed in the final patch.
    2 - please, report this at support.baldursgate.com (a bug or a feature - the team will decide).
    3 - this is most likely because of this - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/976294/#Comment_976294
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    Question on the latest Android beta. Is this version multiplayer cross compatible over ios 2.5 yet?
    No, as for MP all players should have the same version. IOS is still at 2.4.
  • Minsc2017Minsc2017 Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2018
    @JuliusBorisov Julius, re. my previous posting regarding the AR1200 merchants / hobgoblin bug.

Fyi, that specific instance in AR1200 is not a v2.5 / BG2EE issue related to the 'actors being created offscreen' bug. It's a (very subtle) bug from an interaction between Almateria's Restoration Mod and Big World Project where certain actor destination X, Y coordinates are set to 0.

I suppose there's a *very* remote chance it's related to the bug I describe below, if your devs happen to use certain code also used in weidu and the behavior I see really is related to a new weidu bug...

------------------------------------
    @Almateria

If anyone's interested: this is a weird one. It didn't exist in my previous Big World (2017) install, and Almateria's mod version 2.8 hasn't changed since then.

If I do a new Big World install on either BG2EE v2.3 or 2.5 with no mods at all other than the Big World general requirements and Almateria's mod, specifically 'Restored Characters & Dialogs', I get the bug.

But if I leave Almateria out of Big World and install it manually afterwards, I don't get it. The 5 creatures in question are normally added via a script, but the mod adds them to AR1200.are via fj_are_structure with the correct fj_dest_loc_x, fj_dest_loc_y values in setup-arestorationp.tp2.

The mystery is that something about the current Big World Project install causes the fj_dest_loc_x, fj_dest_loc_y to be zero'ed out at some point in the process. Again, this happens even when Almateria is the one and only non-essential mod chosen.

Don't know if other creatures in other areas (in other mods) are being similarly affected. At first I thought the weidu fj_are_structure function may have changed. But like I say, running the mod manually doesn't create the error.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    I bought a brand new Android tablet back in December JUST for the 2.5 patch that we were told that, "After the holidays we’ll review your feedback, finish the fixes, and make the 2.5 Update available".

Here we are at the end of June, and I'd just like to know one thing: What holidays were you referring to exactly?
    Etamin
  • MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813

I bought a brand new Android tablet back in December JUST for the 2.5 patch that we were told that, "After the holidays we’ll review your feedback, finish the fixes, and make the 2.5 Update available".

Here we are at the end of June, and I'd just like to know one thing: What holidays were you referring to exactly?

Kwanzaa 2024
    ThacoBellProont
    Having an extremely slow patch cycle certainly has its issues. You don't want the patch to come out unfinished, because that means that whatever bugs it introduces stay in the game until the next patch drops, which might be preceded by a hiatus of anything between six months and forever.

If the patches happened more frequently, you'd have less time for testing and QA, but it also wouldn't be such a tragedy if a game-breaking bug found itself into the release build, as it could be hotfixed in a reasonable amount of time.
    ThacoBellProont
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Adul the last hot fix for BG2EE took over 15 months to arrive in the Mac App Store, compared to under a week for the other platforms. We had to wait for it to be incorporated in the next major patch, so from my selfish perspective, hot fixes make life worse for me, taking the pressure to release off when you are on a minority platform.
    AdulThacoBell
    edited June 2018
    Raduziel said:

I honestly can't understand why NWN is so often updated and BG/IWD have this policy that clearly makes Beamdog's customers so unsatisfied.

I think it's likely related to the number and nature of the platforms those games are available on.

@GreenWarlock Well, yeah, issues like that would have to be handled more competently. That goes without saying.
    ThacoBell
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited June 2018
    @JuliusBorisov
    • Any chance to see the console implemented on mobile devices with the final 2.5 update?
    • Any chance to see this feature implemented in the final 2.5 update?
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    Hmm, on the beta my Blackguard and Verr'sza the Rakshasha ranger just became fallen after they were attacked by a villanous paladin in the woods! Anyone had a similar issue?