Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Off topic. I don't very much care about romances or even mods, but for a romanceable Mazzy i may take an exception.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I think that romances are a waste of bytes.

Give me tons of friendship mods, but keep the romance ones away from me.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2018
    Majority of the classes just felt the same, or played the same. Yea, the base fantasy classes like warrior, thief, cleric, and druid are somewhat different but majority of the others never really felt or played differently. You could basically recreate more effective versions of the other classes by just dual/multi classing the main classes. Since majority of the mechanically have little difference between them other that state changes that basically becomes pointless half way through bg2.

lroumen said:

Jon Irenicus is a worse antagonist than Sarevok. In bg1 the story for the protagonist unfolds more naturally and you get a better feeling for the motives of the antagonist through direct interaction with his lackeys and hired assassins than in bg2 where everything is told via cut scenes to the player instead of to the protagonist.

Not sure if I responded to this already as it was so long ago, but I agree with this as well.

Also, BG2 tried WAAAAYYYYY too hard to "top" Sarevok as a villain by having Imoen tell you, point blank to your face, "He's sooooooo evil," and Irenicus speaking in quasi-philosophical soliloquies about "pain" and the like. The former sounds lazy and forced, the latter pretentious and phony IMO.

Sarevok may have had much less of a presence throughout BG1, but his actions spoke for themselves.

What happened to the "disintegrate high level Cowled Wizards with the flick of my little finger" person?
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    Lets be fair here, near and game you're can do the exact same thing to cowel wizards. So, by the time you've done the trials I'm expecting to be ridiculously powerful
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2018
    Unpopular Opinion: Tales of the Sword Coast is an overrated, boring chore of an expansion.

Watcher’s Keep, on the other hand, is tolerable. I even think it’s pretty good.

*hides in shadows*
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    But Durlag's Tower!
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @ThacoBell

Durlag's Tower is awful. I made a whole rant about it years ago, and I stand by it to this day. It's a boring slog with badly paced exposition, annoying gimmicks (cheater chess) and leads to the most annoying boss battle (Aec'Letec) in the entire game.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the only part of totsc i like was warewolf island and the ice island dungoen.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    TotSC seems a bit out of place in the mainly story-driven Baldur's Gate game. Watcher's Keep is more in line with Throne of Bhaal which is more dungeon/combat oriented.
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    To this day I have completed Durlags tower only once... Totsc is really my least favorite part of the series, tob being only slightly above it.

@ThacoBell

Durlag's Tower is awful. I made a whole rant about it years ago, and I stand by it to this day. It's a boring slog with badly paced exposition, annoying gimmicks (cheater chess) and leads to the most annoying boss battle (Aec'Letec) in the entire game.

That's okay. Not everyone can be right ;)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

TotSC seems a bit out of place in the mainly story-driven Baldur's Gate game. Watcher's Keep is more in line with Throne of Bhaal which is more dungeon/combat oriented.

TotSC is out of place now it's in the main game.
    However, it was perfect as an expansion after the end of BG.

After defeating Sarevok you are at a loose end and very powerful. It makes a lot of sense that rather than face the consequences of being a Bhaalspawn, you carry on as an adventurer, doing what you have done succesfully for some time while you work that out. It's your job, you have few other skills, what you going to do, take up farming?

Durlag's is the ultimate challenge for an adventurer in the area and money, never forget money.

Of all the things Beamdog chooses to mess around with, the one thing they didn't do was restore TotSC to it's rightfil position.

It would also help with smoothing the jarring nonsense of SOD where Baldurs Gate is suddenly filled with refugees and there have been no signs whatsoever of that happening. You have been away for a considerable time, on Werewolf Island, Ice Dungeon and Durlag's.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

Unpopular Opinion: Tales of the Sword Coast is an overrated, boring chore of an expansion.

Watcher’s Keep, on the other hand, is tolerable. I even think it’s pretty good.

*hides in shadows*

I wrote something about this a while ago, but I forget where. My problem is mainly with the writing, which is so long-winded and pretentious. You get these lengthy, internally contradictory speeches from Dezkiel, the Demon Knight, and Kaishas Gan, full of incoherent bluster and trying-too-hard metaphors that seem like they predicted the Matrix sequels.

"You shall be the death and I shall be the life!"

"This place draws magic, and I am at the center, so it channels power into me by default! Ignore that I'm the weakest mage you've faced in this dungeon by far!"

"I absolve you of responsibility for what happens next...Despite me absolving you earlier, I've now concluded that you would never join my tribe, even though you said otherwise earlier. Prepare to die!"

Some of the most cringe-inducing dialogue I've seen from Bioware, up there with "I won't have my two best men killing each other. It's not good business," a line that's always driven me into paroxysms of rage, but that's another story.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Um, what? TotSC was ALWAYS integrated into BG. It was entirely possible to stumble into DUrlag's Tower at level 1. Playing it, "After defeating Sarevok you are at a loose end and very powerful. It makes a lot of sense that rather than face the consequences of being a Bhaalspawn, you carry on as an adventurer" was impossible, as vanilla BG had no import function after defeting Sarevok, and the game went to credits and then the main menu immediately after the battle.
    @sarevok57 I dunno, about half of those seem good to me.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic Um, what? TotSC was ALWAYS integrated into BG. It was entirely possible to stumble into DUrlag's Tower at level 1. Playing it, "After defeating Sarevok you are at a loose end and very powerful. It makes a lot of sense that rather than face the consequences of being a Bhaalspawn, you carry on as an adventurer" was impossible, as vanilla BG had no import function after defeting Sarevok, and the game went to credits and then the main menu immediately after the battle.

She's talking about the base game from before Tales of the Sword Coast was released. TotSC came as a separate disc, and you could indeed begin and play the TotSC content post-Sarevok using a special save file that was included with the disc.

ThacoBell said:

She's talking about the base game from before Tales of the Sword Coast was released. TotSC came as a separate disc, and you could indeed begin and play the TotSC content post-Sarevok using a special save file that was included with the disc.
    Thats a premade party and not YOUR party though. There is no way to take your character or your assembled party to TosC post Sarevok.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

ThacoBell said:

Thanks @BelgarathMTH :)

I didn't argue the point because I thought I might have remembered it wrong.

But I do remember getting TotSC and trying to figure out where the hell Durlag's Tower was. It's a really hazy memory though.

Not made better by my experience with Werewolf Island where I missed all the clues telling me how to get to the ship, didn't find the secret door and wondered round and round after killing everything, completely trapped.
    Consequently, with no internet and my old PC being very dodgy anyway (crashes were a frequent occurance), I gave up ever trying to finish the expansion and put it down to "oh this game doesn't work".

Either way, restoring Durlag's and the rest of the SC content to post Sarevok would have been a very worthwhile endeavour. Instead of having to illogically take a massive break when playing BG, and a sea voyage FFS, when you are hunting down Sarevok.

In what Universe does that make any sense?
    Almost as bad as being drafted into the army and fighting Caelor in SOD. ;)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @UnderstandMouseMagic , You can still play it the old way with the "Mission Pack Save" using the unmodded GoG version of BG1, but it would be on the old vanilla version of the game. I don't know if that special save file even works with TuTu or BGT installed. My guess is that BGT would crash it. It might work with TuTu, but I doubt it.

The way you were meant to get to Durlag's Tower using the pre-generated party when TotSC was first released was by talking to that tour guide in Ulgoth's Beard, who would teleport you down there. Otherwise, you had to start a first level party and uncover it on the world map via exploration, which is probably what most people remember doing. I know when it came out, I didn't like the pre-generated party, so I started over at first level.

If the first thing you wound up doing from Ulgoth's Beard was going to Werewolf Island and then getting stuck there, I can understand why you wound up putting the whole thing aside.

Unpopular Opinion: It really wasn't a very good expansion. I've never liked Durlag's Tower. Sometimes Werewolf Island and Ice Island are okay as part of my runs, but I'm usually just wanting to finish up the game and move on to BG2 by the time I get to that level. The difference between 89,000 xp and 161,000 xp going into BG2 is pretty much negligible because of how the xp curve works in BG2.

The base game and the main story and maps from before TotSC are where BG1 really shines for me.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    30......FPS.......cannot handle........ peasant frame rate........ *vomits all over keyboard*
    :)
    sarevok57 said:

30......FPS.......cannot handle........ peasant frame rate........ *vomits all over keyboard*

Oh hush, your brain doesn't even process information that quickly :D
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell said:

sarevok57 said:

Oh hush, your brain doesn't even process information that quickly :D
    i used to play SoA/ToB at 90 fps, ah those were the days :)
    Using the Helm of Opposite Alignment should be considered an evil action.

ThacoBell said:

Using the Helm of Opposite Alignment should be considered an evil action.

Unless you're evil!
    Even then. But you DID make me laugh.