Skip to content

The Weather Thread.

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Point being it's midsummer yay! Happy midsummer everyone
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    wow, still that bright outside at 11pm? does the sun even go down fully where you live @FinneousPJ ?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As I sort of predicted earlier in this thread: Trains in the UK are now facing speed restrictions in case the tracks buckle in the summer heat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-latest-forecast-heatwave-warning-met-office-wildfires-trains-travel-a8417206.html

I lived in Africa for twenty years, in places where these sort of temperatures are regarded as normal, and everything ran properly and worked normally.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    dunbar said:

As I sort of predicted earlier in this thread: Trains in the UK are now facing speed restrictions in case the tracks buckle in the summer heat.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-latest-forecast-heatwave-warning-met-office-wildfires-trains-travel-a8417206.html

I lived in Africa for twenty years, in places where these sort of temperatures are regarded as normal, and everything ran properly and worked normally.

Wow, meanwhile it's been a pleasant 56F (13C) at night here in Michigan the last few days. Must be the law of averages at work...
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    dunbar said:

Might have something to do with the UK having stricter safety laws. Who woulda thunk it?!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    dunbar said:

It could also have to do with UK having to consider colder temps that could also negatively affect the tracks that African Nations don’t have to worry about.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Here in New England, the weather is always volatile. Sometimes it rains, snows, shines, freezes, and burns all in one day.

Right now it’s sunny outside (CURSE YOU, SUN!!) and the weather is fine. That’s the weird thing. It’s not doing anything absolutely freaking crazy. Which is weird.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Getting over 100F here in Kansas. Kansas is also pretty humid in the summer. Ugh.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My favorite thing about Texas weather is the air conditioning.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    We are now in the middle of the monsoons in eastern India, and it's been raining a lot since the last couple of weeks. It's for the sole reason that I currently don't have to regularly go out anywhere, that I'm able to enjoy it well. It's lush green everywhere, and when the occasional clear skies are visible, they are draped in the brightest and most vivid blue. What a sight to see!

The plants in our garden are filled with renewed vitality, rejuvenated by the rains after the hot, scorching summer.

• SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    deltago said:

It could also have to do with UK having to consider colder temps that could also negatively affect the tracks that African Nations don’t have to worry about.

Yeah, this is the thing everybody forgets when talking about how badly the UK deals with adverse weather conditions: we're not prepared for it because we don't normally need to be. We get a few days of high-ish temperatures and a few days of snow every year...maybe. If it feels like it. How do you prepare for something like that - something that might happen, and might last 2-3 days at most?

We're currently going through the hottest summer since I've been alive (apparently the last time it got this hot was in 1976). We normally get 2 or 3 days of temperatures about 25C at most, but for the last 4 weeks it's been a constant 25-30 during the day, and I don't like it!! :angry: The grass is dying everywhere because there's been no rain, most buildings have no AC... it's not supposed to be this hot!!

I know it's a cliche - Brits complaining about the weather - but the weather in this country has always been very unpredictable. One positive thing about this heatwave is that at least the weather's been consistent for a month now... consistently hot!!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This is just the start. We'll see these kind of oddities becoming less and less odd and more and more frequent. Here in Sweden we've had like.. 4 rain days since May 1. That's some epic level drought right there. If this had been 100 years ago or more, ppl would be dropping like flies due to famine, but thanks to importation of food we can survive (and even thrive).

But as usual with the stupid human race, for the majority of ppl they have to be severely negatively affected personally before they open their shut eyes and realize it's their own behavior that need to change.
    edited July 2018
    im actually quite happy the the forest fires arent as extreme this year, although one of the highways was basically shut down, and about 120 KM or so south of my hometown there was an enormous forest fire that forced people to evacuate and things, but i can actually still see the sun, and its only lightly smokey outside, which makes it so if i ever wake up early in the morning i can actually go out for a bike ride

a couple of summers ago i bought a bike for 1200 bucks and i think i have only biked 100 KM on it so far, so i really need to get back on it ( couldn't do any biking last year because the forest fire smoke was unbearable to the point that you couldnt even go outside )
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Where do you live @sarevok57 ? That sounds awful, to have that as standard. Here we are having one of our worst years ever when it comes to forest fires. We're going up north to our cabin for holiday next week and I've been told by family up there that they can smell the smoke all over the place.
    @Skatan i live in canada in the province of british columbia
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited September 2018
    It looks like my folks n family down in SE Brunswick County of NC are prepping for a direct hit this week from one of the biggest hurricanes to hit there since Hazel in '54, with a higher storm surge than that one which leveled the whole island. I know the houses I built can withstand a cat 4, but its all the flooding and stuff flying around that does the most damage there as of late. Times like these makes me glad I moved off that little beach island I was living on there and moved west to the southern highlands of Transylvania County 3500' higher. I always built stronger than need to pass code, but alot of the older house are way out of date.
    Of course they ain't leaving though, they never do.
    My 'ol gran used to say "Well honey, I been here most of my life and lived through many a storm, and at 90, if the good lord wants me he knows where to find me."
    Anyway, to any of ya'll living on the mid atlantic coast, good luck and safe weathering.
    @Zaghoul Hopefully they all stay safe.

On a lighter note, Kansas is finally starting to cool down a bit and cutting back on the hellish humidity.
    @ThacoBell Thanks. Me to man, me to. :) At this elevation and under a thick canopy of big trees we are usually around 75-80 even on the hottest days of summer, but the nights then are always down in the 60's. Kansas sounds like the humid coastal swamp lands where I used to live. I think my glasses would fog up bout as soon as I walked out of the AC in the morning on some days.

Ya'll have skeeters bad out that way as well? I certainly don't miss those little boogers.
    EVERYWHERE. I'm actually not sure if a swamp would be any different. Its been pushing mid 90s to the 100s all summer and I've hated it. THe humidity always gets my asthma up, so it gets hard to breathe outside.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'm on the East Coast, and it's been overcast and raining for the past 3 days. And we still have Florence to look forward to. It's gonna hit on Thursday AM in North/South Carolina, but the whole east coast will feel rains.
    LadyRhian said:

I'm on the East Coast, and it's been overcast and raining for the past 3 days. And we still have Florence to look forward to. It's gonna hit on Thursday AM in North/South Carolina, but the whole east coast will feel rains.

Yeah, today my dad was just saying how the grounds were already saturated. I remember that was the problem when Floyd hit in 99, raining alot beforehand and then the caine dropped one heckuva lot of rain on top of that. I think it left about three feet of sand on the beach front road.

I really hope the farmers can get their hog lagoons in order before this thing hits. That's one mess NC doesn't need to happen again.
    Even Trump is saying to get out!
    *And* some places are calling for... wait for it... 40 inches of rain.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Good luck to everyone living in the hurricane affected area!
    Yes, and if/when your Power goes out, I hope you get it back quickly!
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    it has begun