Skip to content

Your Greatest Facepalm Moment?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I dunno. I'd call the Half-Orcs lack of options a problem.
    lolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

I dunno. I'd call the Half-Orcs lack of options a problem.

DoF has lots of options for Half-Orcs, but only one for a Ranger/Cleric Half-Orc. This is TSR's fault, not mine.

Things will be better for my favorite race when I start doing their pantheon.
    ThacoBelllolien
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399

Raduziel said:

(who is James?)

Seriously, who is James?

Possibly, just possibly, this is an homage to Jim Ward, an influential long-time game developer at TSR and a member of Gary Gygax's original gaming group; his Greyhawk setting AD&D character, who became a major character in that setting's background, was a wizard called Drawmij ...

(and, youknow, "Jim" is the diminutive form of "James", so there's that AND the name spelled backwards ...)

James Ohlen, he's on the back of the original game box
    RaduzielContemplative_Hamsterlolien
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Making plans to do a solo run of Baldur's Gate, and then realizing that doing so would involve saying no to Imoen when she tries to join your party, which is against my moral code.

You can actually outrun your little sister and once she's out of view she'll stop chasing you. Just keep in mind that as soon as she sees you again, she'll renew the chase. I thought that was a neat trick and came back to recruit her later after I'd made it to level 6 only to find that her max level upon recruitment is bloody 2! Anybody know why she's gimped like that?

You can also immediately escape down to High Hedge before she talks to you but you'd possibly miss out on Gorion's loot (and who would want to lose the Cloak of Winter Wolf Slaughter?).
    StummvonBordwehrProont
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Balrog99 said:

I thought that was a neat trick and came back to recruit her later after I'd made it to level 6 only to find that her max level upon recruitment is bloody 2! Anybody know why she's gimped like that?

Well, if we ignore the "flee from Imoen" trick for a moment, Imoen is basically forced into your party when you just left Candlekeep. Thus, barring oddballs like running away from Imoen or importing a highlevel character, the developers KNOW that you'll be very low level when she joins the party. Ergo, there's no need to provide her with higher level alternatives.
    Proont
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    BillyYank said:

I just now created a new fighter character. He has a 16 dex, so I gave him 2 pips in longbow. I went to Pomab's to buy him a longbow and...

It's red. Because he only has 11 strength and the minimum for a longbow is 12.

I'm curious, why did you put only 11 str to your fighter? Is it for RP reasons, or do you want to dual him later? Or just because you wanted to have him use ranged weapons?

Anyway, it's a shame, but you can always edit your character or give yourself a book of strength :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited July 2018
    I roll up my characters in an autoroller outside the game, then I make them in the game to match. I had wanted a bowman, so I picked the one with 16 dex without bothering much about the rest of his stats.

I just 'keepered in another point of strength. No sense getting too complicated.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
    ThacoBellYann1989
    edited July 2018
    Received a report about an issue in DoF.

The issue is being caused because BGEE 2.5 is not compatible with SoD 2.3

A company breaking the compatibility between a game and its expansion (being both their product!) that is what I call a facepalm.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    BGEE 2.5 is still in beta. The beta doesn't include SoD yet. They're working on one thing at a time. The final patch will of course include the expansion.
    ThacoBellmegamike15butteredsoul
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yep the beta does not include sod this has been stated multiple time. so no it's not a facepalm.
    Demwar
    If SoD is packed with BGEE, then yes, it is a facepalm.

It not like saying "Diablo was patched, but Diablo II wasn't"

It is like saying "Diablo II was patched, but Lord of Destruction wasn't. Now you can't play LoD unless you want to deal with already fixed bugs in D2".
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Raduziel said:

It is like saying "Diablo II was patched, but Lord of Destruction wasn't. Now you can't play LoD unless you want to deal with already fixed bugs in D2".

BGEE wasn't patched. 2.5 is a beta.
    ChroniclerThacoBellDemwarlolien
    There are no "Fixed Bugs".

The patch isn't complete yet. It's still in Beta. You're signing on to help them test a bunch of half-made fixes that still cause as many problems as they solve.

If this is a cake it's still in the oven and you're complaining about the candles.
    ThacoBellDemwar
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Raduziel said:

the beta is focused on bg 1 ee. sod is a completely different patch not in the beta.

when 2.5 is officially out both will come out.
    ThacoBell
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    yes the patch will apply to both bgee and sod at launch, but for now there's only the beta for bgee I guess
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Look on the bright side, if you take that character through to BG2 there's a nice throwing hammer and then a really big mallet you can get later on.
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellProontsemiticgoddess
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    dunbar said:

Look on the bright side, if you take that character through to BG2 there's a nice throwing hammer and then a really big mallet you can get later on.

That character won't be leaving the Candlekeep Inn, let alone making it all the way to BG2. On the bright side, shortly after I posted I rolled a 93 point character (which I think may be my best ever) so my Kensai is off on her adventures after all. I'm planning to do a 'no potions' run to see how far I can get without using any buffs or cures.
    Proont
    I'm pretty sure the only throwing hammer is Dwarf Only too. Could be wrong.
    Permidion_Stark
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited August 2018
    edit; got it wrong.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    lelag200 said:

I made a solo character to master flails for the Flail of Ages +5. When I FINALLY got the last head and completed the weapon it became worse than its previous versions because Free Action came with it. This ruined my game since I saved after the realization that free action prevents all haste spells/effects. The next save was hours of playtime prior. Hugely disappointed in this nerf. I don't think I even want to complete the game now.

isn't there a mod to fix this? :P
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Permidion_Stark
    Any class that is even partially Fighter can wear helmets for future reference. It's only the types of weapons, armor and items you can use that are effected by multi-class
    Permidion_StarkMontresor_SPThacoBell