Skip to content

Game Update: 1.0.2011

12345679»

Comments

• theleethelee Member Posts: 76

@Troodon80 - It's certainly substandard as a fashion accessory for sipping lattes at Starbucks.

well, it's pretty apparent that you're pre-disposed to hating on tablets (in what I can only perceive is either a chauvinistic, misogynistic, or homophobic manner or whatever else you meant by "fashion accessory"), so i'm not sure you're a good arbiter of what makes sense in terms of use cases. which leads me to the oddity of your previous post:

As far as I'm concerned, a game like Baldur's Gate really isn't suitable for "playing on the go," so iPad and Android support is something of a gimmick in my eyes.

I think the key words are "I" and "my". I certainly hope that Beamdog/Overhaul are looking at the industry landscape as a whole (and the fact that all the major players - apple/google/microsoft - are pretty much going all in on the mobile-thing) and not listening to the vocal PC-based fans awaiting their 2012 build (while iPad people are stuck with 2010) who apparently are all curmudgeons.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Freche said:

Until they have fixed the multiplayer issues and cross-platform multiplayer, I don't see the problem in giving the PC users minor fixes. Once they know MP is working properly then patch all platforms to the same version and continue with synchronised patches.

Who exactly is going to do integration testing of those minor PC releases while everyone else is working on the unified release?

No, it makes sense for them to slow down at this point.
    thelee
    edited January 2013
    ankheg said:

Just wow. Hating tablets now equals being chauvinistic misogynistic or homophobic. Political correctness reached a new level.

I didn't say that hating tablets = being chauvinistic/misogynistic/homophobic. There are plenty of ways to hate on tablets. Calling them "fashion accessories" recalls those dumb droid ads from back in the day that caricatured women walking around with iphones and reveals your own (well, not you specifically since you weren't the one saying it) bigotry/insecurity.

EDIT - this is really getting off topic, but sorry, what's wrong with political correctness? Should we go back to calling black people "Negroes" (or worse)? Gay people "fags"? (or maybe you already do those things)
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited January 2013
    Insecurity?

EDIT - Nothing wrong with political correctness. "Newspeak" is my favourite language.
    insecurity in the implication that "oh, i don't like tablets because tablets are primarily a fashion accessory for non-nerds (or whatever) and thus by admitting i support tablets i put myself in that group which upsets me". i'm giving the benefit of the doubt to that guy that instead of being a bigot, s/he's just ignorant that tablets are capable devices that legitimate nerds can use, too (e.g. i use my ipad for almost all my ssh/vim needs).

if you think political correctness == newspeak, i suggest you read 1984 a bit closer.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited January 2013
    @Coriander Ok then, when do you plan to release the next patch?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @SpaceInvader, it's probably better if they don't give any real information about when the next patch is due. As Trent said before (a couple hours ago):
    We've backed of an announcing dates as we're having a hard time predicting accurately how long certain fixes will take. As our visibility improves, so will the sharing of planned dates.
    SpaceInvader
    Maybe we should just go ahead and copy/paste @Nathan 's post in every thread:
    Nathan said:

The answer is "soon". What's happened is a few planned patches have gotten rolled into one big one. We hope to have a new patch pushed soon - we're back in this week from our short Christmas break (it was needed for the sake of sanity/burnout prevention).

Apologies for the inconvenience and the waiting. The next big patch will fix a lot of things and we hope you'll agree that it's worth the wait.

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Yeah, all I can say is "soon". There is one, it's being worked on and being tested and I have no way to tell you when it will be released.
    DecrepitDragonTheBlackThrone
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Coriander said:

Yeah, all I can say is "soon". There is one, it's being worked on and being tested and I have no way to tell you when it will be released.

@Coriander - Thanks for that mate. Some detail is better than no detail, and just knowing that the next patch will be a relatively comprehensive one with a few small ones rolled into one, makes the wait more bearable. :)
    AdulOxford_Guy
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

As far as I'm concerned, a game like Baldur's Gate really isn't suitable for "playing on the go," so iPad and Android support is something of a gimmick in my eyes.

TBH, I have the tendency to think like this as well.....

Probably ppl will find the way to "enjoy" BG:EE on an iPad or Tablet (probably using extensively char AI and more like an action game with almost no pauses) , but for many , many other players, that take full control of the group and relay on strategic pauses for issuing orders ans stuff, I fill that the iPad or Tablet is going to be "messy" (provided te GUI is good enough).

I do hope they do well on tablets, but as far as I am concern, BG and such games, are for the keyb/mouse combo, all the way..........

I do play games on my Tablet, but more like casual games or really "easy" point and click rpgs, games, etc like Dungeons of Dredmor, Hack, Slash & Loot, Zafehouse Diaries or A. Typical RPG .

Now compare those with BG saga :~

Hell, even playing Orczzs or Plants Vs Zombies is difficult on higher levels bc of the "input device"

I tried to do a gamerun on Planescape:T on my Tablet (Win7) and after a while I gave up.

Funny enough, I found the way to map PAUSE (spacebar) to the second button of the Tablet PEN,
    and Divine Divinity on the Tablet is a blast!.

So, I think there are many many factors that will push BG:EE to sucess on tablets, or the other way around ,
    not just like multi-platform MPlayer, that it really sounds cool.

Sorry for the off-topic
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    BTW it's not just tablets that need to be taken into account for synchronisation of patches etc., we're also still waiting for the Mac OS X native version to come out...
  • ghostcloudghostcloud Member Posts: 1
    sorry if i sound like a complete idiot but how do i actually download the update?
    If you purchased from Beamdog, you run either the stand-alone launcher or the Beamdog launcher and you get the option to update automatically.

The latest update is not yet available on Steam.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    ibitato said:

TBH, I have the tendency to think like this as well.....

Probably ppl will find the way to "enjoy" BG:EE on an iPad or Tablet (probably using extensively char AI and more like an action game with almost no pauses) , but for many , many other players, that take full control of the group and relay on strategic pauses for issuing orders ans stuff, I fill that the iPad or Tablet is going to be "messy" (provided te GUI is good enough).

I do hope they do well on tablets, but as far as I am concern, BG and such games, are for the keyb/mouse combo, all the way..........

I do play games on my Tablet, but more like casual games or really "easy" point and click rpgs, games, etc like Dungeons of Dredmor, Hack, Slash & Loot, Zafehouse Diaries or A. Typical RPG .

Now compare those with BG saga :~

Hell, even playing Orczzs or Plants Vs Zombies is difficult on higher levels bc of the "input device"

I tried to do a gamerun on Planescape:T on my Tablet (Win7) and after a while I gave up.

Funny enough, I found the way to map PAUSE (spacebar) to the second button of the Tablet PEN,
    and Divine Divinity on the Tablet is a blast!.

So, I think there are many many factors that will push BG:EE to sucess on tablets, or the other way around ,
    not just like multi-platform MPlayer, that it really sounds cool.

Sorry for the off-topic
    The problem you had with Planescape Torment is that it isn't reprogrammed and optimized for touch controls.
    BG:EE is. That's the whole point.

I play it both on my iPad and on my PC. I play the game the same way, transferring save games back and forth, and you're right, it may not be the optimal game to play on a bus for instance, (although I've done that several times), but you can play it in the comfort of your home. Like I do, sprawling on my couch, iPad on my lap, without the need of mouse, desk and big screen.

And I've been playing games since 1979 or so, and is what can only be described as a hardcore gamer.
    The iPad release of BG have had and still have some issues, but it's a wholesome complete experience on the iPad, just as it is on the PC.

I applaud the developers for the decision to do unified updates from now on, it's the only sensible way to deal with it if they don't want to alienate a whole host of people playing on other platforms than the PC.
    PC owners can in turn relish the fact that they got the game way before any other platform.
    IllustairJames
  • StarostaStarosta Member Posts: 1
    so where you download the patch?