Skip to content

Game Update: 1.0.2011

Comments

• TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    ankheg said:

Torin said:

My list of bugs that irritate me and are still unfixed is (in the order of most irritating):
    1. Sometimes need to click twice to get the character to move
    2. Changed cast spell to C but I can still only activate it with appropriate Fx(x being number)
    3. No magical clubs anywhere (at least outside BG)
    4. When gaining reputation Dorn does not comment anything although my other evil party members do
    5. Neera quest map. I clear enemies in the cave and do her quest. Then go to druid whose wife/friend got killed by those goblins and he gives me quest although I cleared whole area.

There are clubs (or at least two) anything else is true.
    Well I cleared all areas but Firewine, Durlag, Cloakwood and werewolf village and no clubs to be found. So in my book there are none. If they added some they should have been in the smithy and some lower level areas.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Torin said:

ankheg said:

Torin said:

My list of bugs that irritate me and are still unfixed is (in the order of most irritating):
    2. Changed cast spell to C but I can still only activate it with appropriate Fx(x being number)
    4. When gaining reputation Dorn does not comment anything although my other evil party members do
    5. Neera quest map. I clear enemies in the cave and do her quest. Then go to druid whose wife/friend got killed by those goblins and he gives me quest although I cleared whole area.

Well I cleared all areas but Firewine, Durlag, Cloakwood and werewolf village and no clubs to be found. So in my book there are none. If they added some they should have been in the smithy and some lower level areas.
    Read the previous post. :)
    Oxford_Guy
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Torin said:

ankheg said:

Torin said:

There is a very easy to get +1 club early on (before Cloakwood, Firewine and Durlag), read my spoiler if you want to know where...
  • TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42

from what I gather the 2012 build is pretty much ready, but theyre trying to sync the patches more on different platforms, so the iPad doesnt get so far behind.

If this is true, I have to express my disapproval. I'm not a fan of artificially created delays.
    LMTR14
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351

from what I gather the 2012 build is pretty much ready, but theyre trying to sync the patches more on different platforms, so the iPad doesnt get so far behind.

If this is true, I have to express my disapproval. I'm not a fan of artificially created delays.
    Well dont quote me on it as Im not 100% sure, but I think it might be needed for cross platform multiplayer.

• TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    ankheg said:

Torin said:

ankheg said:

Torin said:

Ah, I didn't notice the spoiler :D
    Well I been to dryad map and I must have missed that if it looks like normal club. I remember getting some normal looking clubs in my travels, didn't think to check if they are just of wrong graphics (this I find unexceptable, if they added magical clubs in the game they should have done this properly).
    Still, magical +1 clubs should have just been added to smithy in Beregost. It is a standard simple weapon, no reason for Smithy to not have it.

Well dont quote me on it as Im not 100% sure, but I think it might be needed for cross platform multiplayer.

That did occur to me, but I honestly don't see cross-platform multiplayer as being important enough to warrant a patch delay on the native platform (at least not until the beamdog.net servers are implemented and all the MP bugs are fixed).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited January 2013
    Torin said:

ankheg said:

Torin said:

ankheg said:

Torin said:

Ah, I didn't notice the spoiler :D
    Well I been to dryad map and I must have missed that if it looks like normal club. I remember getting some normal looking clubs in my travels, didn't think to check if they are just of wrong graphics (this I find unexceptable, if they added magical clubs in the game they should have done this properly).
    Still, magical +1 clubs should have just been added to smithy in Beregost. It is a standard simple weapon, no reason for Smithy to not have it.
    They should at least be made to look different from ordinary clubs and unidentified initially.
    SirK8
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    edited January 2013

That did occur to me, but I honestly don't see cross-platform multiplayer as being important enough to warrant a patch delay on the native platform (at least not until the beamdog.net servers are implemented and all the MP bugs are fixed).
    @TheBlackThrone - I think you might be under the assumption that the native platform will be the most popular for multiplayer. A fair assumption, I agree, but not exclusive of multiplayer success on other platforms - BD and Overhaul will take a longer view that more modern platforms will encourage more online play, therefore, its a wise idea to synchronise cross-platform improvement to encourage cross-platform play.
    ermo
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Is there any benefit to uninstalling and starting with a fresh install?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Edwin said:

Is there any benefit to uninstalling and starting with a fresh install?

You can repair your installation through the launcher if you prefer - would probably save a lot of time

• BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Concerning delay due to multi-player cross-platforms... do they, the devs, really think the other platforms will be as big a hit with a game like this? The fan base goes way back. I would suspect a majority of fans play this type of game on a bigger screen, a.k.a. PC/Laptop. Not an i-pad. I could be wrong as I am an old-schooler fan. But I think the fan base that supports this effort is playing this mostly on PC. They should fix that platform first. Just my opinion of course.
    TheBlackThroneGodKaiserHell
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Of course, this would not even be a topic for discussion if patches had a manual install option, so that you could synchronize your game version to the one your buddy has on another platform. I don't know why developers (not just Overhaul) still insist on denying players the option for manual patching.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Adul But you're not forced to patch in the Windows version. You can just hit play instead of apply patch...
  • MeizMeiz Member Posts: 18
    Sure, but for example new installation is automatically the latest version
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2013
    And that's how it works in most electronic distribution media, the exception being consoles. I always get surprised when the game I just downloaded has to have a patch applied in XBox or PS3...

And I really think most users wouldn't be very happy to discover that after downloading 1.9gb of a game they just bought they HAVE to download 200mb more of patches. Depending on connection speed, that's a lot of time to download files that could have been included in the original download.

And of course, after your initial download, updating is optional.
    What I'm promoting is the option for players to install a bare (v1.0) game an download each update manually. It would not affect any of the players who do not wish to use that option in any way, but it would help out people trying to get their games version-synched for cross-platform multiplayer. It would also allow developers to release updates at their leisure without worrying for keeping the version number homogenous across platforms, and it would help people who want to use one specific version of the game for mod compatibility reasons, or any other reason really. It's just common sense.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @mlnevese, that's one of the reasons Steam annoys me so much. I buy retail boxed versions of most games expecting to install a game and be on my way, suddenly "oh, there's a patch here, let me just get that for you." I installed Shogun II some months ago and was met with almost 1.5GB of patches and DLC after the main game was almost completely installed, thankfully the DLC was optional but if I didn't download it I obviously couldn't play my saved games that used that DLC.

Since I have a slow connection, I would prefer being able to download a stand alone installer while I'm at an internet café, rather than actually have the whole game installed just so I can do that - since the game itself (BG:EE) is just hogging space on my laptop (I can't play it on that particular machine) and have to end up transferring the entire game folder over to one of my other machines (which only takes a minute due to having a nifty SSD). The workaround is easy enough, but it does make me long for the days when I could put a CD or DVD into a drive, install a game, and play it without ever needing an internet connection. Where installing via physical media takes all of a few minutes, downloading entire games takes days and that's with, albeit slow, broadband. Then again, I am set in my ways...

Of course, that also means more resources that Beamdog would have to manage for an almost-certain minority which, from a business perspective, wouldn't really make sense for a small company like Beamdog. Perhaps some time in the future they might offer it as an optional method of patching.

That's all for an entirely different discussion, though. One can still hope and dream in the meantime :).
    mlnevese
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2013

since so much of the game had to be rebuilt (judging from dev comments), i don't think we can consider BGEE a "native" PC game (unlike BG/ToTSC, which were). BGEE is effectively a cross-platform game that released to PC first because there were more potential early buyers (like a AAA title that gets XBox exclusivity ahead of the PC/PS3).

considering BGEE PC is already a version ahead of the iPad, i don't understand the whining from the PC side. Especially if/when BGEE comes out for Android/Mac OS X/Linux, a PC-first approach is going to cause a lot of outrage amongst the fan base when the two choices are
    1. PC-users get advance patches ahead of everyone else (which also implies the devs are less interested in providing support for non-PC users - a surefire way to kill a lot of fan enthusiasm if the iPad forums are any indication)
    2. everyone gets a patch roughly the same time
    and the devs still end up going with 1. IF the rumor is true and the devs are going for 2, that's very shrewd on their part. We're not in the 90s anymore, we're in a much more diverse tech ecosystem.

EDIT - in other words, not only am I fully agreeing with this snippet here (emphasis mine):

@TheBlackThrone - I think you might be under the assumption that the native platform will be the most popular for multiplayer. A fair assumption, I agree, but not exclusive of multiplayer success on other platforms - BD and Overhaul will take a longer view that more modern platforms will encourage more online play, therefore, its a wise idea to synchronise cross-platform improvement to encourage cross-platform play.

but I'm also saying that it's not just about cross-platform multiplayer, but how you want to treat your different platforms. Does Beamdog just want to be a BG-remaker for its Windows fans, or does it want to reintroduce BGEE to a wider market? I know what I'd choose.
    DecrepitDragon
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    When does next patch come?
    DarkDogg
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Also, will it fix the no-comply-to-orders bug and the broken AI scripts ?

Thanks.
    Oxford_GuyAdulDecrepitDragon
    Zoom lock, anyone?
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    edited January 2013
    thelee said:

but I'm also saying that it's not just about cross-platform multiplayer, but how you want to treat your different platforms. Does Beamdog just want to be a BG-remaker for its Windows fans, or does it want to reintroduce BGEE to a wider market? I know what I'd choose.

fff
    thelee said:

since so much of the game had to be rebuilt (judging from dev comments), i don't think we can consider BGEE a "native" PC game (unlike BG/ToTSC, which were). BGEE is effectively a cross-platform game that released to PC first because there were more potential early buyers (like a AAA title that gets XBox exclusivity ahead of the PC/PS3).

considering BGEE PC is already a version ahead of the iPad, i don't understand the whining from the PC side. Especially if/when BGEE comes out for Android/Mac OS X/Linux, a PC-first approach is going to cause a lot of outrage amongst the fan base when the two choices are
    1. PC-users get advance patches ahead of everyone else (which also implies the devs are less interested in providing support for non-PC users - a surefire way to kill a lot of fan enthusiasm if the iPad forums are any indication)
    and the devs still end up going with 1. IF the rumor is true and the devs are going for 2, that's very shrewd on their part. We're not in the 90s anymore, we're in a much more diverse tech ecosystem.

EDIT - in other words, not only am I fully agreeing with this snippet here (emphasis mine):

So, your opinion is that the devs plan is to cater to the new, not the group that gave the support for this game in the first place? That would be...disconcerting.
    Post edited by Dee on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I fixed the quote tag in your post, @Blades; I hope you don't mind. :)
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Blades said:

thelee said:

fff
    thelee said:

So, your opinion is that the devs plan is to cater to the new, not the group that gave the support for this game in the first place? That would be...disconcerting.
    @Blades - I think you're being a bit too black/white there mate. Seems to me that @thelee is simply suggesting that if the devs go for cross platform synchronised support, then they will have eliminated an elitist view that us PC users should be given preferential treatment over everybody else - and thus they keep most of the people happy some of the time, rather than some of the people most of the time.

I think there has been another assumption here that users of new tech come from a group that saw their original birthdays fall after the release of the original game. New tech is an inevitable way of life, and to assume that us old PC users dont use it is a bit backward thinking - a situation the the devs just cant afford to encourage.
    thelee
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

@Blades - I think you're being a bit too black/white there mate. Seems to me that @thelee is simply suggesting that if the devs go for cross platform synchronised support, then they will have eliminated an elitist view that us PC users should be given preferential treatment over everybody else - and thus they keep most of the people happy some of the time, rather than some of the people most of the time.

I think there has been another assumption here that users of new tech come from a group that saw their original birthdays fall after the release of the original game. New tech is an inevitable way of life, and to assume that us old PC users dont use it is a bit backward thinking - a situation the the devs just cant afford to encourage.

Until they have fixed the multiplayer issues and cross-platform multiplayer, I don't see the problem in giving the PC users minor fixes.
    Once they know MP is working properly then patch all platforms to the same version and continue with synchronised patches.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76

said it better than myself.
    Freche said:

Until they have fixed the multiplayer issues and cross-platform multiplayer, I don't see the problem in giving the PC users minor fixes.
    Once they know MP is working properly then patch all platforms to the same version and continue with synchronised patches.

I think that's self-defeating. Part of the problem with the lack of cross-platform multiplayer is that the patching is out of sync across PC and iPad. And since i'm like 99.9% sure the PC and iPad use different cores for their multiplayer API, doing what you suggest is exactly counter to what I suggest (favoring PC users over others) and what DecrepitDragon suggests (favoring old tech over new tech for no good reason).
    DecrepitDragon
    edited January 2013
    PCs aren't "old tech," and aren't likely to become old tech any time soon. That said, the patch argument could go both ways, but I'd rather have the patches come out as soon as they're finished (and then decide whether or not to patch my client based on whether or not i'm participating in a cross-platform MP game), than wait for Overhaul's (undeniably small) team to finish adapting it for all the different platforms.

As far as I'm concerned, a game like Baldur's Gate really isn't suitable for "playing on the go," so iPad and Android support is something of a gimmick in my eyes. I'm not expressly against it, but I'd also like to avoid it causing any delays for the native platform. And like it or not, BG is a PC franchise, and PC is still the primary market for BG:EE. If by some miracle that's not the case, I'd be very curious to see the exact sales percentages to support any claims to the contrary.
    ankhegJean_Luc
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @TheBlackThrone, I should hope my dual GTX690 and i7-3960X wouldn't become old tech any time soon, but... I don't know.
    edited January 2013
    @Troodon80 - It's certainly substandard as a fashion accessory for sipping lattes at Starbucks.