Skip to content

Leak the Patch?

So I know no one wants to hear this, but it probably ought to be said: As the patch sounds like it's very nearly complete, would you guys be willing to "leak" the patch so that we might play with a better game? If everything gets sorted you can go back to official releases with no harm done, and if by some stroke of awful luck it doesn't at least we'll be playing the best game you can.

I can't see how this would get you in trouble legally in any way as you're not making a profit and not continuing work on it. At the very least maybe give a wink and a nudge to one of your testers?

If this is out of line feel free to say so and take this thread down. But I wanted to see what you guys thought of it.
Dexter

Comments

• PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    That's a version mismatch nightmare if you every play multiplayer.
    Quartz
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited July 2013
    I'm sure some fans would love a "leaked" patch in the short term. But for the long term health of the franchise, lawyers would be out in spades - trust me no one would be happy besides...
    MalicronChowDragonspear
  • madcatmadcat Member Posts: 9
    No one but the lawyers...
    elminster
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I'd be more interested in patch notes, or patch teasing.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

What is in the next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch?

The next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch features:

- An updated user interface that allows for high-resolution scaling and transparency.
    - A new renderer featuring enormous performance improvements, and compatibility enhancements
    for Intel graphics chipsets.
    - A new font system for sharper, clearer text.
    - Full German language support, including new German VO for the expanded content.
    - Turkish language support, for both the original game text and the enhanced edition text.
    - Subtitles in movies.
    - Over 135 gameplay fixes and enhancements.

elminsterQuartzaqzina
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Sure you could leak the patch if you manage to do so in a way that nobody will ever find out it was leaked... Though exactly how possible that is, I'd imagine the chances to be quite low...
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    If one of your testers leaked it that would essentially be "gg" for said lawyers. Completely out of their control. But I do understand what 'No' means, just thought I'd see what people thought.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    My look on the idea of someone leaking it is pretty much that it would be nice... But would probably cause enough legal problems to make any and all future releases regarding Baldur's Gate be unlikely at best.

Better to just wait and see what happens, if it turns out you're not gonna be able to make anything more due to someone down the line being a "not so likeable person" might as well leak it out.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2013

@SCARY_WIZARD

You want teasing?
    There it goes...

[SPOILER]The new interface is BEAUTIFUL :) [/SPOILER]
    JuliusBorisovWikkid_SuhnSyntia13
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The short term joy of getting the patch illicitly will be more than offset by the damage to future patches, BG2:EE, Project X/Y/Z/whatever, future possible BG games and the like. I'll take the long term, thank you very much.
    AedanalnairJuliusBorisovSon_of_Imoen
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CamDawg said:

Shhhhh.

Yes, you deserved that

Well played :D
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Dee said:

Except that the person who leaked it would then find themselves facing the full brunt of the lawyers' fury. I wouldn't wish that on any of our awesome beta testers.

Someone has to remake the final Shadows of Amn cinematic with Irenicus saying "To end like THIS?!" turning around and seeing dozens of lawyers instead of fiends :p

MalicronElectricMonkNWN_babaYaga
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

Dee said:

Except that the person who leaked it would then find themselves facing the full brunt of the lawyers' fury. I wouldn't wish that on any of our awesome beta testers.

Someone has to remake the final Shadows of Amn cinematic with Irenicus saying "To end like THIS?!" turning around and seeing dozens of lawyers instead of fiends :p

Or he could see Bhaaldog/Samus there telling him he did it wrong.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I would rather have Minsc apply boot to backsides in liberal measure. Law offices are always teeming with eevil and decay. Let's give it a kick and see what comes out!
    KaltzorelminsterSCARY_WIZARD
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    mlnevese said:

[SPOILER]The new interface is BEAUTIFUL :) [/SPOILER]

No joke, the first thing I thought of when I saw that, was Homer Simpson thinking "think unsexy thoughts" and Barney Gumble in a bikini dancing to the I Dream of Jeannie theme song.
    Uuuughghhgghh now I need to find that thread where we SPECULATE about patch content. I bet there's Shadowdancer fixes.

And Warlock nerfs.
    mlneveseMoomintroll
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    A "leaked" patch is really only something you do when the project is, without doubt, dead. As long as Beamdog is still in talks to continue with the EEs, a leak would do nothing but sink any hope of BG2:EE.
    alnairJuliusBorisov
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Not even then I suspect. If there is no way to release the patch without being sued then I doubt that suddenly changes if Beamdog were to lose the BG license. It would still likely be illegal for them to do so (if not more so).

Any kind of leak would result in trouble for Beamdog. It's not possible.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Dee said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that the next patch turns everything in the game lime-green.

Sounds like Overhaul let Neera use Nahal's Reckless Coding again... ;-)

MalicronSyntia13
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    CamDawg said:

Shhhhh.

Yes, you deserved that

I put it on repeat. It's just that good.
    EntropyXIIelminster
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Seriously though, if this legal quagmire ends in BG:EE's demise and the patch is doomed, I hope someone leaks it. There are any number of coffee shops and VPNs to ensure anonymity.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee."
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Dee said:

Camdawg just gave you the new cinematic ending.

Irenicus screams, To end like THIS?! and then it cuts to that video.
    MalicronMoomintrollWikkid_Suhn
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Troodon80 said:

CamDawg said:

Shhhhh.

Yes, you deserved that

It's not THAT good if: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." But at least I haven't been rick roll'd :P
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Fredjo said:

Troodon80 said:

CamDawg said:

Shhhhh.

Yes, you deserved that

It's not THAT good if: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." But at least I haven't been rick roll'd :P
    For once, my slow internet connection worked to my advantage: the title of the video loaded before the actual video, so I was able to close the tab.

Old DSL line:1, Devs with a sense of humor: 0.
    elminster
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    madcat said:

No one but the lawyers...

Who says no one likes lawyers? Oh, wait. that isn't what you said. Sorry... :-)

On a serious note, aside from the mechanics of it, I would imagine that the patch is at least a small bargaining chip in Beamdog's pocket. If it isn't, it should be. They did some hard work on it and deserve credit for that work.
    alnair
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Malicron said:

Old DSL line:1, Devs with a sense of humor: 0.

elminsterMalicronWigglesJairyanna
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92

I would imagine that the patch is at least a small bargaining chip in Beamdog's pocket. If it isn't, it should be. They did some hard work on it and deserve credit for that work.

This is one fact which I'm surprised no-one has brought up before. Except I don't think it's a small bargaining chip, it's a nugget of pure gold, and they should rightly hang on to it to make sure they get what they want.

There's a scenario which has played out in my head, it goes like this:
    Atari: Hey Beamdog, we're gonna have to get you to pull the game from your site, don't worry people can still buy it from us, but you'll make no more money.
    Beamdog: But we were just about to release the most awesome patch yet!
    Atari: Oh yeah, you should still definitely do that.
    Beamdog: Oh Ok, we'll just put the game back up for sale on our site then.
    Atari: Umm...
    lolien