Skip to content

The Don't Ask Me Anything Thread

Comments

• AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2013
    What would happen if this thread collides with the Ask Us Anything thread?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Do you have a favourite kind of CHARNAME for playing through BG:EE/BG2:EE?
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Will Baldur's Gate 3 be a first person shooter?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Edit: double post
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    What made you interested in writing as a career?
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    demented said:

Will Baldur's Gate 3 be a first person shooter?

Probably. My pitch to have it be an all-text adventure (the Artists know what they did) got shot down.

OK, this is one of those times where I feel the need to break character momentarily to mention I have no actual knowledge of what, if anything, is happening with a hypothetical BG3. If anyone's actually working on it as anything other than a frankly terrifying thought experiment, 1) I don't know who they are, and 2) I wish them luck.
    elminster said:

What made you interested in writing as a career?

Being able to work in bed was a major factor.

Then I started working in videogames, which in the context of what I'm doing at Beamdog is an office job--as interesting as office jobs get, I reckon, but even so--so that's been screwed up.

I haven't given up though; I'm still trying to convince Trent to move a bed into the office. My productivity would skyrocket!

There's a (slightly) more serious answer to this question, but it'd likely be a very long one and videogames don't write themselves. Which is just as well, I suppose. If they did, I'd be out of a job.
    Kaeloree said:

Since Andrew isn't doing it himself, BG2EE's new content is spectacular, at times both touching and hilarious, and altogether worth your money and time. Andrew (and Phil) have done an amazing job putting things together and it has been a joy to bring their vision to life.

Aw, shucks. Now I'm blushing... (seriously though, thanks, Kaeloree, I really appreciate it.)

I would be remiss (remiss is a funny word, isn't it? It's like, what, I missed twice? But I digress...) if I didn't mention my predecessor Dave Gross' contributions to the storylines of the four NPCs. He had a big hand in plotting the stories before moving on to write a series of well-received Pathfinder Tales fantasy novels, PRINCE OF WOLVES, KING OF CHAOS, and QUEEN OF THORNS. If you're a fan of fantasy--and if you're here, I reckon the odds aren't bad that you are--check 'em out. http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Gross/e/B001JRUMXI
    On the bus to work today, I reflected deeply on how tired I was after not sleeping enough last night.

Between bouts of self-pity, I also reflected on two quotes on the nature of comedy. The first I read in an interview with FROM HELL artist Eddie Campbell, though I think he got it from somewhere else. It was as follows:

"Comedy is a question asked in one context that's answered in another."

This may be the most concise and accurate description of what lies at the heart of comedy I've ever come across.

The other quote was from Mel Brooks--it's at the beginning of a Far Side collection I've got somewhere, and runs along these lines:

"Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall in a sewer and die."

Editor Lee Nordling distilled this notion down to its essence for me one time, when he phrased the idea thusly:

"Tragedy happens to me. Comedy happens to you."

None of this has anything to do with anything, but it's my thread and these are the sorts of things I think about when I'm not moaning about how much sleep I don't get (LOTS, is the answer). And sometimes I have to share what's going through my brain, if only to prove to myself something is crawling through the sludge...

...It's REALLY Monday morning, folks. Like, Monday morning squared. I need a nap.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I haven't given up though; I'm still trying to convince Trent to move a bed into the office. My productivity would skyrocket!

If Philip has/had one, I don't see why you shouldn't. :D

If you're going to work from bed, I would recommend getting a memory foam mattress rather than a pack-away cot. I've slept on those sort of beds before; they're okay for a few hours of sleep, but not for working all day. I suppose that would be a plus, though, since it would ensure you don't fall asleep while you are supposed to be working. Not that I would know about working from bed, of course.
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Hi Andrew,

Questions that won’t let me sleep:

1. Are you good at writing? If yes, could you please point out all spelling/stylistic errors I made while writing below questions (I barely can speak English so there should be few)?

2. Are you getting paid for replying to questions like these?

3. How did you get that job? Did you send your CV to Beamdog?

4. Do you have your own office or are you in the open space like all the rest?

5. Do you have your own business phone? If yes, could you post it here so BG fans, like myself, would be able to give you a call?

6. Are you getting paid in American Dollars?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    What is the most comfortable bed type in existence? Which kind of bed do you sleep in? And more importantly: why are there no waterbeds in BG:EE or BG2?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @AndrewFoley Are you related to an Anthony Foley?

If so. You owe me a fiver.
    edited September 2013
    Anduin said:

Not that I'm aware of. If he's on the family tree, he's an outlying branch I don't know about.

NO FIVER FOR YOU!
    Post edited by AndrewFoley on
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Here's a question. Why does BG2:EE cost $24.95 (what have you guys got against .96, .97, .98, or .99)?

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Anduin said:

Not that I'm aware of. If he's on the family tree, he's an outlying branch I don't know about.

NO FIVER FOR YOU!
    Well... You WOULD say that...

And would you also say that the humble potato peeler is the most horrid implement of torture ever invented?

You cannot imagine the HORROR such a weapon wielded in the correct hands can do...

*Anduin, walks away and strokes family bereft Anthony on the cheek... with a spatula, having lost his potato peeler...*
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Sir… I have just discovered that you are on Wikipedia.
    If I knew you were that famous, I wouldn’t have asked you such stupid questions…
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    yay! i was the 888th person to earn the "first year badge"! do i get a prize?
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403

There are two major spaces at the moment: the Artist Side and Everyone Else.

1. Isn't that elitist? And, if so, which ones are elite?

2. If you digress, what did you do twice?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Sylph said:

Paulg said:

no cake AND no pie?! what are we going to do now?!!!

Cookies? I recommend an assortment of chocolate chip, peanut butter, and white chocolate macadamia. Not oatmeal raisin though those are gross.
    Why does every dutch website ask if I want to accept cookies and if I say yes, my belly's still empty?

Autequi said:

1. Isn't that elitist? And, if so, which ones are elite?

2. If you digress, what did you do twice?

1. Less elitist than architectural. Everyone in the office is elite to me, because they all do stuff that is way above my pointy little wordmonkey head.

2. You caught me. I didn't digress. I just gressed, but it didn't sound as impressive and I so wanted to look like Mr. Bigshot Writer Guy for everyone that I, well, you saw it. So embarrassed. SO embarrassed.

Do you have a secret crush on me?

If not, don't you think you should really start?
    Paulg said:

yay! i was the 888th person to earn the "first year badge"! do i get a prize?

It's in the mail, which unfortunately is more than can be said for the postage that would ultimately get it out of the mail.

If I knew you were that famous, I wouldn’t have asked you such stupid questions…

If I knew I was famous, I wouldn't have answered them (I'd have had my assistant do it.) Fortunately, I am 100% absolutely certain I'm not famous, so we're good. :)

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525

Do you have a secret crush on me?

If not, don't you think you should really start?

May I get back to you on this later? The ramifications of these questions and the implications of my answers require thought and, to the maximum extent that is reasonably possible, recollection in tranquillity.