Skip to content

So, can we get an official update on the thief NPC?

I mean, yes, I know people think her name is Hexxat because of screenshots and stuff. But I'm asking the powers that be to give us some kind of update/info on her? We're close enough to launch now; by this point in BG1EE's development we already had info on Dorn, Neera and Rasaad.

Please?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @LiamEsler: Any particular reason for that? She's mentioned on the website, it's not like her existence is a secret...?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Jalily said:

shawne said:

@LiamEsler: Any particular reason for that? She's mentioned on the website, it's not like her existence is a secret...?

We want to leave more for players to discover this time.
    I have discovered that there is a likelihood that she is between three feet...and eight feet...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Jalily said:

shawne said:

I have discovered that there is a likelihood that she is between three feet...and eight feet...
    And what is the base for this wild guess of yours? :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    mlnevese said:

Jalily said:

shawne said:

And what is the base for this wild guess of yours? :)
    Oooooh! Hexxat must be a pixie!!! ;-)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Wasn't it already confirmed that Hexxat is a werecapybara?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Also that she was a half-drow demigoddess.
    edited October 2013
    @Jalily: I could understand keeping her race/class/backstory/romance (?) under wraps if they come into play during the game, but what about the basics like stats or alignment? "Female thief" isn't much to go on when you're planning a playthrough (or, for that matter, talking the game up at other venues).
    We only have like a month or so left anyway.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232

Are we sure on this?

@Dee: Not the best marketing tactic to use given the less-than-stellar year you've had, but I suppose that's your prerogative. It's not like someone won't pull the .CRE file at launch and spill the beans anyway.
    Dee said:

I wouldn't give away the ending to a movie or a book before it was published, either. This isn't a marketing thing; it's a spoilers thing. If you want to read into that anything more than "we want to leave some of the surprises intact", that's up to you.

I'd like to think there's a rather substantial middle ground between spoiling an entire storyline and revealing rudimentary details about a major addition to the game.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    We have rudimentary details. She's a Thief. And Female. And works for someone.

I can see details beyond that being potential spoilers. Guess we'll see.
    Delvarian said:

Are we sure on this?

Believe.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    How could a new NPC be that much of a spoiler? Especially considering that, iirc, Beamdog aren't allowed to change the storyline anyway.
    Joey said:

How could a new NPC be that much of a spoiler? Especially considering that, iirc, Beamdog aren't allowed to change the storyline anyway.

Can't change the existing storyline. The New NPCs come with their own new storylines. Since the bulk of the new content is tied into the new NPCs...
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    edited October 2013
    I don't see how letting us know her kit (assuming she has one) and what her strengths are would be a spoiler.

Imoen is a vital NPC in BG2 and you describe her as "A neutral good (iirc) theif/mage with enough points in thief skills to get you through the game, and becomes a decent spellcaster as she advances.". No need to mention her being a child of Bhall of being taken to Spellhold.

Should point out I am insanely supportful of the devs whatever they do, I would just like more info on new content.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291

Hexxat isn't a female thief. She's a male thief wearing the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity.

You are thinking of imoen...

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Joey said:

Quite easily. Whatever she is, we can be sure she isn't what she appears to be.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    Whatever she will end up as some people will find it a letdown and dissapointing. And then you would have a huge discussion with people wanting to change her before release, and this not being possible will cause even more drama.

And they are obviously trying to sell as many copies as possible before people figure out that Hexxat is actually her real name, and then 80% of them won't bother with refunding because they are lazy.
    I will laugh so hard if her name isn't Hexxat and they pulled a fast one on people.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

I will laugh so hard if her name isn't Hexxat and they pulled a fast one on people.

Ofcourse it isn't Hexxat. No one that wants to even try to make a good RPG would ever name a NPC Hexxat, Especially not when it's the only one that gets released.

"We're making a brand new NPC for our game, and she'll be what most people want which is a thief! Buuut here's the catch, we're going to name her... Trainbridge #32 just because we can, trololololo"

Let's hope they wake up and are more sensible before release.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    The name sure takes a lot of getting used to it, at least for me. Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat, Hexxat... I still can't get myself to like the name, argh...maybe someday!