Skip to content

Are you breaking the shadowdancer?

InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
Hello, let me first say that I had multiple passes through BG2, specifically with thief, assassin and bounty hunter kits so I consider myself good at using and abusing their abilities.

I was getting into a discussion here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21925/assassin-or-shadowdancer#latest and came to the conclusion that the shadowdancer may be useless if you just diminsh his backstabbing ability like originally intended.

He loses the ability to one-shot mages, one of the primary abilities of non-swashbuckler thieves, and for that he gains a built-in staff of the magi. Which is all well and nice at first, until you get your hands on some better items (which is not that hard) and you can use potions and rings to mimic the shadow dancer while retaining strong backstab multipliers.

Not only that, but the shadowdancer is also forgoing the poison, the +1 thaco/dmg and the extra multiplier from the assassin, while also getting hit with the same skill penalty as one.

Currently, he may seem like a good choice to me in the early game where you lack the items but once you start getting them, his multiplier stops dead and the class tapers off.. am I right?

I suggest that you leave his stab multiplier to a regular's thief.

Comments

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I wouldn't be too worried about it, I'm sure there'll be mods for this if it's deemed too weak, though I'm all for the devs giving the kit a second look. I have a different conclusion/suggestion though...

It's the thief skill penalty which is mostly the issue. People generally take some kind of thief for the ability to disarm traps or open locks. The Assassin's skill penalty means it can't fulfill that kind of role without sacrificing its defining draw, the backstab, but there's still some worth in taking it for added strategic benefits (rather than just another fighter e.g.). Making the Shadowdancer just another backstab-orientated character isn't really adding anything new.

I'd rather they balanced it by looking at the Bounty Hunter: 20 thief skill points per level and a level 1 boost to set traps (for shadowdancer, it'd be stealth skills).

This would provide a happy middle-ground I think:
    - enough skill points to let the SD be the party's only thief (just not a great one)
    - more backstabs but less efficient ones, so not as good versus mages but better damage per encounter mostly since it's more free to backstab multiple times with no micromanaging [also when Shadowstep is fixed, I assume it can be used to imitate a double backstab for x6 damage effectively]
    - its defensive abilities give it increased survivability and flavour

It'd be an interesting kit without being too weak or too strong or standing on the other kits' toes. Anyone else think so?
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    edited October 2013
    20 skills sounds interesting, but at the very least I'd give him at least a 4x multiplier at some point.

In all honesty, I think that just delaying the multiplier bonuses (say, 5x at lvl 15 instead of 13 like the thief) would be the best thing for him.

edit: on another note it seems like shadowdancers aren't even supposed to set traps. To me it seems that they have given up far too much for being able to hide in plain sight, something that isn't hard to do past a certain point in the game by anyone.
    Post edited by Infiltrator on
  • BolekBolek Member Posts: 60
    Totally agree with @infilitrator
    but
    Taking away 3x back stab mulit should be rewarded by allowing SD to set traps.
    15 or 20 points isn't a big deal - if you spent them carefully you can do whatever you want with potions.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Currently playing through as a Shadowdancer, and I don't think it's too bad. Being able to hide in plain sight can be really powerful.

I do think though that 15 points to distribute each level is a little low. It makes me have to focus on nothing else than stealth, which is kind of a drag and forces me to keep another thief along.

My plan is to dual to Mage sometime in BG2. In the end he might not be the most OP build, but I still think it's interesting. Hiding instead of casting invisibility will pay off and be quite fun, I think.

While a normal mage would have to cast a spell to cancel another Mage's targeted spell, the shadowdancer just hides.

Shadowstep is BTW a really great way to stop enemy spellcasters or archers from wrecking havoc in the beginning of an ambush.
    edited October 2013

Currently playing through as a Shadowdancer, and I don't think it's too bad. Being able to hide in plain sight can be really powerful.

I do think though that 15 points to distribute each level is a little low. It makes me have to focus on nothing else than stealth, which is kind of a drag and forces me to keep another thief along.

My plan is to dual to Mage sometime in BG2. In the end he might not be the most OP build, but I still think it's interesting. Hiding instead of casting invisibility will pay off and be quite fun, I think.

While a normal mage would have to cast a spell to cancel another Mage's targeted spell, the shadowdancer just hides.

Shadowstep is BTW a really great way to stop enemy spellcasters or archers from wrecking havoc in the beginning of an ambush.

Well I dont think they are bad currently, as they still have the thief backstab multipliers, instant-re-stealth and the ability to set traps. But next patch they will cap at 3x and the show's over.

Well I dont think they are bad currently, as they still have the thief backstab multipliers, instant-re-stealth and the ability to set traps. But next patch they will cap at 3x and the show's over.
    My Shadowdancer is currently at level 7 with a backstab multiplier of x2 (beta patch). I'm fine with it. He's still quite efficient, but I do see your point about decreased usability in BG2.

My Shadowdancer is currently at level 7 with a backstab multiplier of x2 (beta patch). I'm fine with it. He's still quite efficient, but I do see your point about decreased usability in BG2.

Precisely. It's not just the multipliers - other thieves will get their hands on rings of invisibility and invis potions and the shadowdancer gets left in the dust after that.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Well even in BG2, the luxury of not having to even worry about invis clicky items/potions seems to be the benefit, ya? You can wear any weapon you want, and wear any rings you want, and still be able to hide in shadows whenever.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    With the cloak of non-detection, the Shadow Dancer would seem to be mostly invincible once 100% hide, and 100% stealth is obtained. Even without any backstab bonus, it could hide immediately after every attack, and never get an attack at it. It would be a slow, likely dull process, but after they get detect traps, and open locks, they could solo, without maybe taking a point of damage.
    Linkamus said:

Well even in BG2, the luxury of not having to even worry about invis clicky items/potions seems to be the benefit, ya? You can wear any weapon you want, and wear any rings you want, and still be able to hide in shadows whenever.

It's a benefit as much as it is clicking on stealth and not the ring - potion - the sole act of clicking is completely the same, you just activate an item instead of an ability. And yes, you can benefit from stronger rings, but one of them already comes with invis...

With the cloak of non-detection, the Shadow Dancer would seem to be mostly invincible once 100% hide, and 100% stealth is obtained. Even without any backstab bonus, it could hide immediately after every attack, and never get an attack at it. It would be a slow, likely dull process, but after they get detect traps, and open locks, they could solo, without maybe taking a point of damage.

Except he'll get facerolled by anything that can't be backstabbed or sees through stealth, but yea, on the monsters that he can clean up it would be extremely slow and painful to watch and execute, is this what they planned with the class though?
    Well it would be awesome if a dev could drop and comment on this here. I just want to know what's the idea behind the class and its viability. Because frankly, as it is, I can't see it on my own (unless it's for masochists).
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    In my opinion this class is well balanced. His backstab multiplier is reduced but still useful.
    Would this be changed to a normal backstab multiplier, this class would have to be nerfed in another area
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    While the Shadowdancer can enter stealth mode in more situations (e.g. combat), they are likely to be inferior at entering stealth mode compared to a thief of equal level. The reasons are:
    1) less thieving ability points at character creation
    2) less thieving ability points per level
    3) no apparent bonus to stealth abilities at first level (very surprising)

It's very surprising to me that the Shadowdancer is so bad at keeping to the shadows, given the concept of the class. I would be perfectly happy if they made the Shadowdancer a little better at being a thief without changing the backstab score. Some people already feel the backstab is OP (link here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16967/shadowdancer-too-op).
    edited October 2013

@DancingBugBear: That's not entirely true. There's a delay after leaving shadows that makes you wait until you're able to hide again.

You just need to wait until the hide in shadows ability is available again (a little after the icon actually appears as usable) and then you can hide in shadows again immediately after backstab.

Except he'll get facerolled by anything that can't be backstabbed or sees through stealth, but yea, on the monsters that he can clean up it would be extremely slow and painful to watch and execute, is this what they planned with the class though?

Regular damage could still be done to opponents resistant to backstab. The cloak of non-detection, if implemented correctly should be able to prevent the opponents with invisibility/illusions or stealth immunity from succeeding at it. But for the few that do have it, regular backstab characters wouldn't be anymore effective, either.

It would make other dual class characters effectively invulnerable, too.

Unless the AI is improved to use area spells against them, they'd be essentially invulnerable. Maybe it could be set to use a limited number of times a day.
    [edit] Reports of the beta say there's a new delay added after leaving stealth. This would resolve some of the issue. It could still be useful for dual class.
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on
    Looks like they decided to completely gimp him to the point where he'll be useful for nothing more than a 1-point wonder HipS dual class. A shame, really, I had high hopes for the SD being a good single class option like the assassin and take advantage of his other skills.

But there really is no point doing that, he stops dead at level 9.

Looks like they decided to completely gimp him to the point where he'll be useful for nothing more than a 1-point wonder HipS dual class. A shame, really, I had high hopes for the SD being a good single class option like the assassin and take advantage of his other skills.

But there really is no point doing that, he stops dead at level 9.

Even though backstab stops at level 9 you kind of have to progress a couple levels further, to really make his stealth skills viable.

It's also worth getting to at least level 10 to get another use of Shadowstep. One could consider level 15 to get another use of shadowstep and additional skills points (also THAC0 if dual classing to Mage), but the worth of this is questionable.
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Hmmm. As it stands, a Stalker makes more sense than a SD as a pure backstabbing option I guess. Backstab modifiers are similar and the 15 points per level skills of the SD is only enough for the stealth abilities, which the Stalker gets automatically per level. I might be missing something though, I didn't have a run with either of those kits. Something to try with the new patch.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I like the Idea of a Thief with some Shadow/Illusion Magic. Maybe I use the Keeper to give him some innate Illusion spells.
    Darkersun said:

I like the Idea of a Thief with some Shadow/Illusion Magic. Maybe I use the Keeper to give him some innate Illusion spells.

Yep, I agree. I've also considered adding a few points to Hide in Shadows, at least, which makes sense.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    onan said:

the 15 points per level skills of the SD is only enough for the stealth abilities, which the Stalker gets automatically per level

However, the Stalker has a considerably slower level progression, being a Warrior and all. So the Shadowdancer's still improving his stealth faster than him. Not to mention certain stealth-buffing items can only be used by Thieves.

• onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Kilivitz said:

However, the Stalker has a considerably slower level progression, being a Warrior and all. So the Shadowdancer's still improving his stealth faster than him. Not to mention certain stealth-buffing items can only be used by Thieves.

I just did a quick check with 2 elven charnames with 19 dex each. Assigning all thief skill points of the SD to stealth, they ended up with 112 stealth each (the SD had only one thief skill advantage to be more exact) at 161000 xp. But the shadow armor would grant another 15%(? - I think) to the SD. The boots of stealth are usable by rangers too if I'm not mistaken. So yes, a difference but only marginal.
    Awesome idea elminter. I hope that there is still time for the latest patch to properly address the shadowdancer into a class actually worth investing in, I wanted to play one and transport it to BG2EE, but at the moment I'm not sure if I should just wait out for them to properly balance the game.. I understand that for the core classes balance can be off-limits but by all means, they have free hands on the kits they themselves introduced so I think a single class shadowdancer should be a powerful alternative to the assassin, but all indications are that after BGEE his level progression just stops.
    At higher levels it could continue to put points in remove traps, and pick locks, and remove the need for another thief, at the cost of superior traits already gained.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    With few exceptions, they can't do anything to the progression tables for any kit, or it would break existing characters. So adjusting the skill points per level or backstab multiplier are not options. :(

They could create a function to run on game load that would see if a character is "legal" and create an interface to let you tweak it to meet any rule changes... but even if that were not too big of a project to consider, it could break mods and EEKeeper hacks.

What we need is a time machine to tell Bioware during this game's creation it will be around for more than a decade, so try not to set so many things in stone, and save the art assets somewhere, for crying out loud.
  • PugPug said:

With few exceptions, they can't do anything to the progression tables for any kit, or it would break existing characters. So adjusting the skill points per level or backstab multiplier are not options. :(

Actually, as of the new patch, a lot of that has been externalized, so you can, for example, adjust the thieving skill points per level (as well as backstab progression) on a kit-by-kit basis. You can even adjust the skill progression of non-Thief kits that advance skills automatically (this is how the pickpocket skill is adjusted for the Blade and Skald kits). This shouldn't have any negative impact on existing characters (aside from possibly their skills not matching up with what they should be by the new values when you pick them up).

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Shadowdancer, level to 10 through BG, dual to fighter once you hit bg2, proceed to win at everything.

This isn't that hard, folks :(
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Kaigen said:

PugPug said:

Actually, as of the new patch, a lot of that has been externalized, so you can, for example, adjust the thieving skill points per level (as well as backstab progression) on a kit-by-kit basis. You can even adjust the skill progression of non-Thief kits that advance skills automatically (this is how the pickpocket skill is adjusted for the Blade and Skald kits). This shouldn't have any negative impact on existing characters (aside from possibly their skills not matching up with what they should be by the new values when you pick them up).

The issue is that existing characters (games in progress at the time of the patch) would have incorrect values, yes.
  • PugPug said:

Kaigen said:

PugPug said:

The issue is that existing characters (games in progress at the time of the patch) would have incorrect values, yes.
    Well, the new patch is adding an entirely new skill to Dark Moon Monks (Detect Illusion), so I don't think they're entirely above making changes that will significantly impact games in progress, but I see your point. I haven't seen anything from any of the devs that indicates they think the Shadowdancer's listed backstab progression or skill point gain is off.