Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513

Attention: Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar before Siege of Dragonspear was released

I'm not complaining about them taking their time, just noting a crazy fact.

Cerevant said:

Attention: Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar before Siege of Dragonspear was released

Ok @Amber_Scott, we're finally good to go.
    Then, two days later....

I'm not saying it was a conspiracy, but it was a conspiracy
    >.>
    booinyoureyesGrammarsaladJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201

lroumen said:

I would like to buy a hardcopy of the manuals at some point in the future. I think it would be nice if the store sold some of the items separately from the game/collectors edition. I'd pay extra plus shipping if need be. I just like paper to read rather than a digital version.

There are legal issues with us selling merchandise separate from the game, based on our various licensing agreements. It's something I'd like to do too but right now it's a nebulous "in the future."
    What about a "Making Of" sort of documentary thing. I would love to see Jim Cummings in the studio thwarting evil with Boo or interviews with team members about the experience or the story from the beginning up to SoD.
    booinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Can anyone tell me if there will be an option or a UI tweak to use the old UI's? It's not that I hate the new UI, it's just too different for me, up to this point I have enjoyed all the improvements but I'm really not feeling the new UI pages and elements. Even the starting screens look way different. Please tell me that this is optional, at least in the originals.
    rorikon
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so is the patch and sod coming out the same day?
  • MonkeyLungsMonkeyLungs Member Posts: 44
    I hope the patch comes soon.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

I know this is not going to happen. but i wish in the sod patch they could update the baldur's gate city map in ee. even replaying the game a few months ago i still find it the worst world map design in the game. just make like bg2 and say what each district is as it is shown in sod.

The maps of Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are different by design, though. In Baldur's Gate the areas you get to explore make up the entire city, e.g. the left edge of the Southeastern area is exactly the right edge of the Southern area. Consequently, the city's representation on the world map reflects this behavior. In Athkatla, on the other hand, you only get to explore certain districts of the city, which is also what you see on the BG2 world map. It wouldn't make sense to model either world map after the other, when there is an actual difference in function between the two.

As for SoD, the last livestream revealed that you only get to explore certain parts of Baldur's Gate, and so it makes logical sense that the city appears on the world map Athkatla-style.
    JuliusBorisovJairyannaelminstercmk24
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    bengoshi said:

The recap from the twitch
    The NPC companions will have a goodbye dialogue after a prologue in SoD, if they’re not in SoD

i had hoped for something more dramatic to happen to cover for the transparent "this npc isn't in the game so buhbuh byebye" :smile:

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

I know this is not going to happen. but i wish in the sod patch they could update the baldur's gate city map in ee. even replaying the game a few months ago i still find it the worst world map design in the game. just make like bg2 and say what each district is as it is shown in sod.

I believe the original intention was that Baldur's Gate would be played in conjunction with the printed map included in the box. The poor in ganme map is a primitive form of copy protection.
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2016
    re: The Familiar, Jonathan Hill interview February http://thefamiliar.beamdog.com/5.0/#!/article/105660/101038538
    Will the awesome new artwork for Baldur's Gate city's in-game ground and buildings textures be backported to BG:EE in the patch?
    Post edited by kungfuhobbit on
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    @kungfuhobbit (cool user name) Though i hate to disappoint you, somebody asked that during the stream yesterday and the answer was no.
    JuliusBorisovAdul
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Should I do a new play through now? Is there much reason to wait for the patch which could be 2-3 weeks away?
    megamike15
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713

Should I do a new play through now? Is there much reason to wait for the patch which could be 2-3 weeks away?

Check the scope and amount of changes the patches bring from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47588/change-log-for-v2-0#latest - and decide yourself.
    drawnacrolGrammarsaladMirage
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2016
    shame, thanks @justtravelinthrough

Id read this but it sounded more to do with quests/features than art:
    [spoiler=spoilery facts from the twitch]
    bengoshi said:

...The changes to the BG areas in SoD are specific, new areas; the original areas in the BG campaign (non-SoD) are unchanged. For the most part.

[/spoiler]

Then I realised from this screenshot that access to BG city is localised to a few key buildings only.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/FileUpload/77/3154a1e88edeeb0c00651ee384b5b5.jpg

It's beautiful work the beamdog art dept have done
    Hopefully some artistically-skilled modders may step up to the plate of universalising it across the city
    bengoshi said:

Check the scope and amount of changes the patches bring from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47588/change-log-for-v2-0#latest - and decide yourself.

Thats a lot of bug fixes, I suppose I'll wait a week and decide then.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited March 2016
    I think Amber mentioned something about them wanting to do it for the whole city, but not having 70 people to put in the work. The few areas that are done do look awesome, though.

Listen here, Beamdog. I don't know about the others, but I would certainly buy the "Beautified Ground" DLC for BG:EE. :tongue:
    JuliusBorisovjustfeelinathome
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2016
    I have just preordered from Beamdog and now i see i have to own the right version in order for SOD to work. Well, iirc, I have always ordered from Beamdog. Hope everything works alrightwhen 31 March comes
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    helmo1977 said:

I have just preordered from Beamdog and now i see i have to own the right version in order for SOD to work. Well, iirc, I have always ordered from Beamdog. Hope everything works alrightwhen 31 March comes

You should contact support@beamdog.com about this and make sure everything is in order.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Priest of Tyr for a new kit? What about stronghold for him? Is there any Temple of Tyr?
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2016
    elminster said:

helmo1977 said:

You should contact support@beamdog.com about this and make sure everything is in order.
    Thank you. On any case I think it should be clear for future costumers that they have to own the right version. Perhaps, in my anxiety, I didnt check things well, but I bet it will hapen the same to quite a few people. If possible, write it down in capital red letters.

Ps. And telll how to differentiate among the different versions. I have no idea how to tell which version I own, but I am sure there will be ways.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Well, looks like I'll have to wait until after the game comes out to buy it. Ah,well, such is life.
    lolien
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    helmo1977 said:

elminster said:

helmo1977 said:

Thank you. On any case I think it should be clear for future costumers that they have to own the right version. Perhaps, in my anxiety, I didnt check things well, but I bet it will hapen the same to quite a few people. If possible, write it down in capital red letters.

Ps. And telll how to differentiate among the different versions. I have no idea how to tell which version I own, but I am sure there will be ways.
    If I'm not mistaken, so long as you own the Enhanced Edition of BG you should be good to go.
    edited March 2016
    helmo1977 said:

elminster said:

helmo1977 said:

Well, if you ordered SoD through Beamdog and didn't already own the game (on Beamdog) it would cost you at least 39.99 US I believe to purchase the standard copy of SoD. So that should be pretty clear on any credit card statement you have. In any event contacting support@beamdog.com (or trying to log into your account on Beamdog) would be the quickest way to clear up if you own the game directly through beamdog or not.
    Faydarklolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    helmo1977 said:

elminster said:

helmo1977 said:

Good Old Games versions install into C:\GOG Games\, Steam versions install into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\. I don't know where the Beamdog versions install to.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    If you use the beamdog app, it defaults to C:Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games - if you use the standalone installer, I believe you just choose, anyway mine is in C:Enhanced Editions but I'm pretty sure I created that folder.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Probably somebody already noticed, but in the page of SoD there is still this sentences on FAQ section:

"Q: When will Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear be released?
    We will announce a release date soon."

Of course i'm not complaining, it's great it's a mistake:D
    rorikon
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Sikorsky said:

Priest of Tyr for a new kit? What about stronghold for him? Is there any Temple of Tyr?

If they aren't creating a stronghold for shaman (which they aren't) I'm sure they won't be creating an additional stronghold for clerics, or changing the functionality. Tyr is an ally of Helm and Lathander, you will get the one that matches your alignment, same as ever.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Cerevant said:

Ok @Amber_Scott, we're finally good to go.
    Then, two days later....

I'm not saying it was a conspiracy, but it was a conspiracy
    Yeah, we had an agreement with Mr. DiCaprio's manager. Luckily for you, he got his Oscar this year.
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisovlolien
    Damn, after updating to the the latest BG:EE patch the game no longer opens so I can't do a play through.
    edited March 2016

Damn, after updating to the the latest BG:EE patch the game no longer opens so I can't do a play through.

Please file a ticket in redmine. There are likely others with this issue.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46858/how-to-report-bugs
    JuliusBorisov