Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

The name Jan Jansen is actually based on a rhyme.

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    I work in a lumber yard there.
    Everyone that I meet
    when I walk down the street
    says "Hello, what's your name?"
    and I say:

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say...

I thought it was just the Scandinavian version of "John Johnson". Which means "John the son of John". Which has to be one of the most common names in all of Western Europe.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited May 2018

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say:

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say...

I thought it was just the Scandinavian version of "John Johnson". Which means "John the son of John". Which has to be one of the most common names in all of Western Europe.
    I thought the most common name was Jamesir Bensonmum.

https://youtu.be/LCecr_2Tnvs
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2018

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say:

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say...

Nope. Or, possibly, through a long and roundabout way through Greek, Latin, and Norse, but no one around here in Scandinavia might agree with your analysis instinctively. And that'd be Jon, not Yon. As far as the US ditty about Yon Yonson of Wisconsin is concerned: The name Jon had a relatively brief heyday in Norway from the late 1800s, and Norwegian immigrants to the Upper Midwest may have brought the name to prominence in regional US folklore (much like the 'Ole and Lena' type of jokes), but it was hardly a prominent name in itself in Norway. For more on etymology and demographics, go here:

https://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Jon_m

FWIW, I'd say the 'Jon Jonsson' stereotypical name derives, at least in part, from typical sounds in Norwegian (which has a range of deep vowels) as interpreted by American ears. Compare the similar - but not identical - sound of the 'Ja'/yes used in various parts of the Upper Midwest.
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Jan Jansen and Jan Janssen are two of the most common names in the Netherlands and Belgium. I am very sure our npc has no relation to this Yon guy
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Balrog99 said:

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say:

My name is Yon Yonson.
    I come from Wisconsin.
    Everyone that I meet
    and I say...

I thought the most common name was Jamesir Bensonmum.

https://youtu.be/LCecr_2Tnvs
    You win the internet for today

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @OlvynChuru: Excellent find! I'll find some way to work that into semiOverhaul. I notice you have maximum luck or Maximized Attacks on a modded Bastard Sword of Heroism.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853

Krilag, the neo-orog boss in Icewind Dale who wields the Cairn Blade +4, has five proficiency points... in axes. He has NO proficiency points in two-handed swords.

That is weird!!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Balrog99 said:

If I ever came across a +4 greatsword, I would gladly abandon years of axe training to wield it. It's a +4 weapon; you could kill a castle with a blade like that.

But could you kill a gazebo? You might need a +10 Hackmaster for that task...
    Okay, this might be stuoid, but I have to ask. Is there an actual artifact in D&D called the "+10 Hackmaster?"
    Its joked about in almost everything that apes D&D I've seen. Thats a LOT of exposure just for a joke item.
    Does not add strength bonuses; neither to hit nor to damage.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited May 2018

If I ever came across a +4 greatsword, I would gladly abandon years of axe training to wield it. It's a +4 weapon; you could kill a castle with a blade like that.

Although I would agree that a fighter who obtained a +4 two-handed sword would want to train in two-handed swords, until they got some proficiency in it, even a +4 weapon would be inferior to their other choices. Compare:

Cairn Blade +4, with no proficiency:
    THAC0: +2 (+4, -2 due to lack of proficiencies)
    Damage: 1d10+4
    Speed Factor: 6

Non-magical two-handed axe, with five proficiency points:
    THAC0: +3
    Damage: 1d10+5 (it's 1d10, not 1d12, in the 1st Icewind Dale)
    Speed Factor: 6 (9 base, -3 from proficiencies)
    Attacks per Round: +3/2

The only way in which the Cairn Blade would be superior would be against creatures that require magical weapons to hit.
    edited May 2018
    That's called Fancy Play Syndrome. Waiting for the cutesy stuff while in essence the time to strike is now (and when you get the cutesy stuff you don't do anything with it), or picking the cutesy stuff over a more solid base leading to inefficiency.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    lroumen said:

That's called Fancy Play Syndrome. Waiting for the cutesy stuff while in essence the time to strike is now (and when you get the cutesy stuff you don't do anything with it), or picking the cutesy stuff over a more solid base leading to inefficiency.

You could also use time-travel (aka metaknowledge) to plan every proficiency pip from Candlekeep on!
    That's what most people do but when playing with randomised drops there is no real point to that.