Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DJKajuru said:

Did you know that Hurgan Stoneblade, the dwarf who asks you to retrieve his grandfather's dagger from Durlag's Tower, is an old friend of Nalia's father, Lord De'Arnise?

Because I only noticed today that he shows up at Nalia's father's funeral... :blush:

How come we haven't seen it before? Nalia is such a popular character...
    Wait, is she not?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Did you know that Hurgan Stoneblade, the dwarf who asks you to retrieve his grandfather's dagger from Durlag's Tower, is an old friend of Nalia's father, Lord De'Arnise?

Because I only noticed today that he shows up at Nalia's father's funeral... :blush:

How did I never notice that? Well spotted!
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    If you cast a spell at someone who activates the Priest spell 'Sanctuary', your character can still hit the enemy provided they began casting, or were just about to begin, up to the moment before Sanctuary went up. The spell will continue casting and hit the sanctuaried enemy (and possibly kill them) instead of being cancelled.

Only just happened to me, so not sure if there is a specific timing involved. I just murderized a priest who I thought had escaped my clutches with sanctuary, only to be fireballed by Dynaheir with an order I gave her while sanctuary was just going up.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @sluckers: That's probably because Fireball isn't a single-target spell. Dynaheir was targeting a point on the ground, not the priest.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

DJKajuru said:

Wait, is she not?
    I actually like her very much, but I get the feeling that she's underestimated by most players.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    DJKajuru said:

DJKajuru said:

Wait, is she not?
    I actually like her very much, but I get the feeling that she's underestimated by most players.
    I don't have anything against her, I would take her more often if she had one more thief level and a bit better distribution of points.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited July 2016
    Excerpts from the 2nd and 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign books regarding Boareskyr Bridge (spoilers for Siege of Dragonspear):
    [spoiler]
    The previous bridge was gray stone and was destroyed during the Time of Troubles in a battle between Cyric and Bhaal, a conflict which poisoned the Winding Water (see the Winding Water section). A new bridge has been erected here in black stone, with statues of Bhaal (northern end) and Cyric (southern end) guarding the way.
    Thanks to the battle between Cyric and Bhaal that ended in Bhaal's death, the water downstream of the bridge is black, foulsmelling and unlucky to drink. "Go drink from the west side of the bridge!" is a common curse in these parts.
    There is no mention or sign of poisoned or blackened water or that the bridge has been rebuild.[/spoiler]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Regardless of what you do with Albert (kill him, kill ruffie, return ruffie) you get the amount of xp at the end: 1000.

however, killing him then killing ruffie gets you a chunk of coin and additional 175 xp (from ruffie).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @Archaos , I agree that Nalia's character sheet is indeed a copy of Imoen's.Also, nothing in the game explains how she got to level 9 as a mage (you had to save the Baldur's Gate and the sword coast from war to get that much experience). However, her storyline is quite distinct.

She's a good aligned mage with two side quests , lots of banters and a powerful magic item (a ring of protection +2 and 50% fire protection). I believe that as an interactive npc she's quite alive and true to her character.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2016
    @Archaos I never said that you said that lykanthropos means werewolf, I was adding more flavour to the history of lycanthropes and men turning wolves.

In fact, you started with "despite common misconception and use", and that was the link.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Nalia's thief skills are absolutely fine. 2 x Mind Focusing means she can detect any trap, pick any lock, scout quite successfully and memorise any scroll with 100% success. Given they last for 12 hours, that's a great deal for c1.5k gold.

Powerwise, Nalia is more powerful than Imoen...you have her for much longer, her spellbook is inevitably better and she has a very nice ring. The minimal difference in thieving skills is utterly irrelevant.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The current legends about vampires and werewolves are obviously part of a misinformation campaign by these creatures so that hunters go after them expecting weaknesses they don't actually have. Vampires do not have a circulatory system why should a stake through the heart even bother them? :)

Regarding Nalia I have to agree with @Jaheiras_Witness. By the time I get to Imoen, Nalia's spell book is already full of useful spells. I think the only time I even bothered to get Imoen back was the first time I completed the game a long time ago. I also have a tendency to have as many spellcasters as I can so Jan covers all my thieving needs.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I never use Nalia as a thief. When I use her (which admittedly is not often), it is as my primary mage who happens to be able to use a short bow and a small sword. Once I get Imoen back, they form a strong double-mage team at the back. Two mages = Double the firepower!

(Or I get Jan Jansen and ditch Imoen! :naughty: )
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Montresor_SP The first time I played I did exactly that. I made a team with Nalia and Imoen as pure firepower. But now by the time I get to Imoen Jan also has many useful spells in his book, so I just let him stay :)
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I invariably end up with enough extra scrolls that Imoen catches her spellbook up very quickly either way.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Nalia is great. That ring gives her an edge over Imoen. Imoen, however, has an extra backstab multiplier, making her much tougher in TOB thanks to Mislead backstabs and Time Stop.
  • LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28

There is a "hidden" (there's no mentions of it in game as far as I know) THAC0 and damage bonus (+4, I think) for all stealthed characters that engage in melee combat (not for ranged attacks)

Quite sure it's just a thac0 bonus, no damage added.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    LordVem said:

There is a "hidden" (there's no mentions of it in game as far as I know) THAC0 and damage bonus (+4, I think) for all stealthed characters that engage in melee combat (not for ranged attacks)

Are you certain? I remember quite a few Backstabs that more than twice/thrice the damage they should have if I rolled my maximum dice... Don't know what would cause it, then.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    filcat88 said:

The Xzar's quote "I am become death, destroyer of worlds!" was, indeed, said by Robert Oppenheimer, the scientist in the Manhattan Project, when he did the first succeful test for the atomic bomb.
    The sentence, in turn, is a line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad Gita.

Did you know as well the real quote is supposed to be something like I am become Time, Destroyer of worlds? Also that "I am become death" IS proper grammar. . . though a bit archaic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_perfect
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    LordVem said:

LordVem said:

Are you certain? I remember quite a few Backstabs that more than twice/thrice the damage they should have if I rolled my maximum dice... Don't know what would cause it, then.
    Just tested and confirmed there is no damage bonus to attacking from stealth.

50 iterations of ranger attacking from stealth with dagger: 1-4 damage every time

50 iterations of thief backstabbing from stealth with dagger: 2-8 damage every time (always even numbers too)

Poor Phlydia was the pincushion.
    I suddenly got a flash of the shower scene in High Anxiety
    "Here's your book! (stab)
    Here's your book! (stab)
    Happy now?"
  • filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115
    The sculpture Prism finished before his tragic Death is Ellesime, the elven Queen in Suldanesselar in Bg2
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    DJKajuru said:

Did you know that the time interval between banters and romance dialogues keeps running even if you pause the game?

yes, or indeed, alt-tab out of the game