Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited August 2016
    In the original non-enhanced Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast, if you start the mission pack (which places you in Ulgoth's Beard with a party of Abdel, Minsc, Jaheira, Edwin, Viconia, and Imoen) and you go to the Ducal Palace, you will find that Winski Perorate is simply standing there while the Flaming Fist attack him. He has 335 HP, -20 base AC and 100% resistance to physical damage and magic, but no resistance to fire, cold, acid, electricity, or magic damage. The only way to kill him would be to use a source of one of those kinds of damage which bypasses magic resistance. I've looked through the game's files and I think the only weapon available to the player which deals damage of one of those types and bypasses magic resistance is the Flame Blade. It deals 1d4 fire damage and as far as I know that is the only way to damage him. He's not going anywhere, so you have all the time in the world to damage him. The only issue is if you run out of spells.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    One more thing I have to try...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2016
    DJKajuru said:

According to the complete Ranger's handbook, stalkers don't backstab and have no such access to a repertoire of wizard spells. Someone must have rewritten the kit for BG2...

Many classes/feats have been reworked to be viable in BG. Other kits are just bad and extremely niche to be of any use.
    I'd rather have fun classes/kits than accurate ones.

Cavaliers aren't anti-dragon/demons either, in PnP. And I believe they aren't even a Paladin kit, they're a Fighter kit in the Complete Fighter's Handbook (could be wrong) and also specialized in riding abilities (hence the name).

Many kits/spells etc simply don't work in video game form as they do in PnP.
    A true to PnP Cavalier would be garbage in BG. There are no horses to ride around.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I have the Unearthed Arcana for AD&D and it has the Cavalier as a fighter kit. It could very well be in the Complete Fighter's Handbook too, though.

Also as a person collecting D&D books from all editions it's somewhat difficult to differentiate between AD&D and AD&D 2e.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Archaos said:

Cavaliers aren't anti-dragon/demons either, in PnP. And I believe they aren't even a Paladin kit, they're a Fighter kit in the Complete Fighter's Handbook (could be wrong) and also specialized in riding abilities (hence the name).

The complete fighter's handbook actually just has warrior kits. Strictly speaking a paladin, fighter, or ranger could use them (provided they could justify the kit to a DM).
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited August 2016
    Firkraag only has 3 wisdom so I suspect it might be possible to auto kill him using that horrible wakizashi drain, but even then you'd need greater malison, high APR and lucky saves (or lack of). All this in 2 rounds max. No XP tho.

yeah this is probably a sucky idea
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @OlvynChuru That is hilarious.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The Vials of Mysterious Liquid in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale both permanently decrease your Constitution by 1 when imbibed.

As I mentioned a while ago in this thread, the vial in Icewind Dale does a lot more damage than the Baldur's Gate one. The vial in Baldur's Gate deals 1 damage per round, for 10 rounds. The vial in Icewind Dale deals 10 damage per second, for 51 seconds! There should be an achievement for if you manage to have a character drink that thing down and survive without curing the poison (you'd probably have to slow the poison).
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2016

In Icewind Dale 2, backstabbing (called "sneak attacks" in IWD2) works much differently from the other IE games:

1. You don't need to be invisible to backstab; you only need to be behind your target.

2. Regardless of invisibility, you can only backstab the same target every 3 rounds.

3. The Crippling Strike feat not only drops the target's Strength by 1; it also cancels any Strength buffs, whether from spells like Bull's Strength or items like the Golden Heart of Charname.

4. Rather than multiplying damage, backstabs add 1d6 damage plus an extra 1d6 for every 2 levels after 1st. Thus, a 7th level rogue will deal 4d6 extra damage on a backstab.

IWD2 Sneak Attacks are a workaround for 3E Sneak Attacks, since the Infinity Engine was originally made for 2E gameplay. Icewind Dale 2 uses 3E mechanics and rules, not ADnD 2E.

Sneak Attacks in 3E can be made multiple times per round actually, even more if you are dual-wielding.
    The downside is that many creatures tend to be immune to it, mainly all Undead, Plants (Treants), Elementals and Constructs (Golems).

It was changed from Backstab in 3E since you don't need to "back-stab" someone.
    In 3E, it can be made from the sides as well, but also with ranged weapons, though Sneak Attack damage is not multiplied even on a critical.

Generally, I prefer Sneak Attack as a mechanic, it's more convenient, can happen easier and more often and the damage is rolled, like a spell, instead of multiplied, making the damage more average than all or nothing.

More details about the Rogue in 3.5E, here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    As much as I love (and prefer) AD&D, I need to say that D&D3.X made a good job powering up thieves, bards and fighters.

I'll use this discussion to make some questions about things that I don't know (and is kind of small for a proper post):

1) Whats does "Disease" do? Specially the one that Ghasts (ou Ghouls?) gives. I always ignore it until passes.

2) Is there any pratical difference between Slow Poison and Neutralize Poison? Because I always use the first and it effectively heals the poison - it never returns later

3) The item "Beladona" from the Werewolf's Island in ToSC does something? The NPC that requires it doesn't takes it. I know it can be eaten through the quickslot, but for what purpose?