Skip to content

Best of Spambots

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2014

Anduin said:

@Moomintroll‌ Truly a good deal of beneficial knowledge!
    Here is my blog :: http://forum.baldursgate.com/profile

I click the link, but it brings me to my own page!

The spambots are stealing my identity!

...or perhaps I am a spamcylon all along and did not know it?
    The mobile version of the forum takes you there instead of the numbered page of yours like http://forum.baldursgate.com/profile/21244/booinyoureyes or http://forum.baldursgate.com/profile/11650/Shandyr
    And it's about the currently logged in user.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Sneaky sneaksters.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Being an administrator to various message boards, my hatred towards spam bots is about equal to my hatred toward those who make virus and maleware programs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    I must confess that one made me laugh out loud when I saw it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    According to the no-spam rule, your post should look like this:
    meagloth said:

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Yeah, @meagloth‌, @bengoshi‌ is right: maybe it's better if you edit your post with a brief description instead of a screenshot of the spam content...

Anyway, In these days I've seen worse spambots posts, but I keep forgetting this thread! XP
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited October 2014
    I want to say something about spambots , and I don't want to open a new topic :

There's a so-say solution for these kind of problems , I guess you also know , the introductory phase for new members that they need to have their "some number" of posts been confirmed first , before they can get to be a forum member. Now , they can be in a seperate section , so , also if anyone wishes to see ( or only members ) they can click and view candidates' posts too. It should be reminded for candidates that they should not 'answer' any posts , but rather state their opinion directly and independently of other involvers that are already members there , to ease up the talking routine , because their first 5 or some number of posts will not be visible through normal viewing.

When a problem remains , it means it remains. Banning accounts are not solving this. And teasing with them could be what I personally like too , but when it comes to THIS forum , they are not letting to do that.
    That's understandable , but not to overcome this , is not ; may it be or not be a radical way.

This is not a suggestion because , as I stated you , I guess close to %100 you already have thought about this. Besides there should be a topic around somewhere that is very long about it. This is just a reminding upon a time-wasting intention , as I am not interested in involving forum matters , while also hoping to start a new discussion.

I think I write a lot. Sir-write-a-lot. Sir-know-a-lot. Sir-arrogant-a-lot...
    @old_jolly2‌ Unfortunately Vanilla forums don't have that "candidates" feature, as far as I know, and even if it might be useful against spambots I have few hopes that it will be implemented by Vanilla developers (not Beamdog) in the near future.

The only thing we can do is to ban an account that has revealed to be a spambot one, we also have a spamfilter that is updated with more elements when we have them, and a spamqueue based on the spamfilter, but that's it.
    We can't do much more with our current tools but we try our best. :)

Of course real users here can help us by tagging moderators when they spot a spambot, this can be useful to shorten the duration a spam post is shown, in the case no one of us has spotted it first.

Anyway: spambots will always come so the only thing we can do as moderators is to watch the forum as much as we can. :)

@meagloth: I'll delete your pic as I've seen that it is still there. (maybe you've not read my previous post, but still it's better to avoid to help spambots in any way) ;)

Feel free to edit your post adding a brief description of what you wanted to show, if you like, but as I said it's better to avoid explicit screenshots like that one, as everyone here can see that advertising, even if that spambot was banned.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453

Anyway: spambots will always come so the only thing we can do as moderators is to watch the forum as much as we can. :)

Metalloman , I'm quoting our dear fellow @bengoshi here , I think some people 'may' have missed what he's trying to say to us :
    bengoshi said:

:)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Yeah, @meagloth‌, @bengoshi‌ is right: maybe it's better if you edit your post with a brief description instead of a screenshot of the spam content...

Anyway, In these days I've seen worse spambots posts, but I keep forgetting this thread! XP

Sorry I could get to it, but I guess you got it anyway. Also, @Metalloman‌ the thumbnail is still there.
    Anyway, is this ok instead?
    @meagloth‌ unfortunately after the last forum manteinance we all become unable to delete thumbnails after posting. Even moderators are unable to delete them... The only thing I can do in your case is to delete the whole post. :)

Anyway: like that is ok, just remember everyone to delete the thumbnail after clicking "insert image" and before posting. ;)