Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Can Greater Malison be triggered up with say, Chromatic Orb (or any spell with a saving throw), and have the effects of GM immediately apply for the initial trigger?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Stormvessel That would depend on the projectile speed of the spells you load up. It is not likely to work very well.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    So much for putting greater malison in spell sequencer with chromatic orb and using it as an instant kill spell. You would think that would have occurred to me by now considering all the time I've played BG.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    General question about dual classing:

Say that I have a warrior character with 17 con, who I then dual to a cleric. Once the character regains the fighter abilities, will he gain 3 bonus HPs per level up (as a warrior with 17 con would) or only 2 bonus per level (the most that a pure cleric would gain).

Thanks in advance.
  • AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    I might as well throw in my question also about dual classing. I dual classed from cleric to mage at a level 14, if I recall right. Doing so I lost my innate cleric abilities, which included few heals, Draw Upon Holy Might and probably others I can't remember for sure. As I've reached a point as a mage where I've regained the use of my cleric spells, I still don't have any of those abilities back. All I can find under the "star" is Slayer change. Can you confirm you lose all your special abilities for both classes permanently once you dual class?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Azaloom said:

I might as well throw in my question also about dual classing. I dual classed from cleric to mage at a level 14, if I recall right. Doing so I lost my innate cleric abilities, which included few heals, Draw Upon Holy Might and probably others I can't remember for sure. As I've reached a point as a mage where I've regained the use of my cleric spells, I still don't have any of those abilities back. All I can find under the "star" is Slayer change. Can you confirm you lose all your special abilities for both classes permanently once you dual class?

The special abilities you mention are a result of your Bhaalspawn essence (rather than your class)... when you are recaptured, Irenicus takes that essence (and the powers with it). As to the Slayer transformation... you'll soon find out more.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

General question about dual classing:

Say that I have a warrior character with 17 con, who I then dual to a cleric. Once the character regains the fighter abilities, will he gain 3 bonus HPs per level up (as a warrior with 17 con would) or only 2 bonus per level (the most that a pure cleric would gain).

Thanks in advance.

S/he'll be levelling up as a Cleric only.
    abacus said:

Azaloom said:

The special abilities you mention are a result of your Bhaalspawn essence (rather than your class)... when you are recaptured, Irenicus takes that essence (and the powers with it). As to the Slayer transformation... you'll soon find out more.
    You're absolutely right. I'd made a savepoint immediately before dual classing and I had to check this out. I *did* retain all the aforementioned abilities after dual classing to mage. Strange how I forgot and got it mixed up. But many thanks for clearing that up! Maybe I'll get those back, progress will tell... I have played the series before, but last and the only one time I played through BG2 was back in 2000, right at its release. I remember I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and I still have the box and everything.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I am coming near the end of my first post-1.3 BG:EE playthrough... I know that you can now pick an item to be imported into BG2:EE (via genie?), but do you need to do anything in BG:EE to arrange that? Like have it in the inventory of Charname? I remember seeing a list of items that can be transferred, but I couldn't find it just now, anyone got a handy link?

Thanks in advance!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

I am coming near the end of my first post-1.3 BG:EE playthrough... I know that you can now pick an item to be imported into BG2:EE (via genie?), but do you need to do anything in BG:EE to arrange that? Like have it in the inventory of Charname? I remember seeing a list of items that can be transferred, but I couldn't find it just now, anyone got a handy link?

Thanks in advance!

You need to have it in your (as in charnames) inventory. As I understand it if you have more than one of these weapons in your inventory you'll get the one that is highest up on the list. If you don't import a weapon I think the default you get is Varscona, however I haven't tested that out yet.

SW1H24 (the Burning Earth +1 - a long sword)
    HAMM03 (Ashideena +2 - a warhammer)
    AX1H07 (Bala's Axe - obviously an axe)
    HALB03 (Suryris's Blade +2 - a halberd)
    DAGG04 (The Grave Binder +2 - a dagger)
    STAF07 (Staff Spear +2 - a staff that does piercing damage)
    STAF06 (Staff Mace +2 - a staff that is one handed and looks like a mace)
    SLNG03 (Sling +3 - sling)
    SW1H06 (Varscona +2 - a long sword)
    BLUN11 (Krotan's Skullcrusher +2 - Mace)
    BLUN09 (Kiel's Morning Star - Morningstar)
    I've got some borderline modding and general questions that came up as I started messing around with Near Infinity to create the second version of my custom sword for my current playthrough.

1) Was Twinkle always a +3 weapon? I always thought that it was +5... I guess that comes from the sum of +3 THAC0 and +2 AC?

2) I am pretty sure that Varscona used to have a blue glow... did v1.3 modify that? And if so, (why?) does anyone know how to edit it back in with Near Infinity? I see only one option for Long Swords for "Equipped Appearance", is it possible to add an alternate appearance?
    Twinkle is a +5 in terms of determining what it can hit. So it can hit enemies immune to +4 weapons. This is the case in the original game as well as in bg2ee.
    Just noticed that you can get rid of fatigue of your party members by reforming the party and getting them join back. No rest period in between. Seems like it might've cleared some other effects from spells also, but not sure. This would have to be verified with clean install. I run the latest Windows version with v30 Stratagems.
    Heindrich said:

2) I am pretty sure that Varscona used to have a blue glow... did v1.3 modify that? And if so, (why?) does anyone know how to edit it back in with Near Infinity? I see only one option for Long Swords for "Equipped Appearance", is it possible to add an alternate appearance?

@Heindrich To my knowledge Varscona never had a blue glow, but the 1PP mod inclusion in BG2:EE did mess with, and even remove, the glow that many of the items used to have in vBG2. This can be easily fixed however.

Glowing items are accomplished with the the global effects "Set Color Glow Solid (8)" and "Set Color Glow Pulse (9)" You will need to make sure there is one of these added for each part of the item you want to glow. Color glow solid Is a static glowing effect that does not change in brightness. This effect is used to make the Sword of Balduran glow that lime green color. Color Glow Pulse is the one that will make items dynamically glow and change in brightness.

Now lets look at Set Color Glow Pulse and how to use it. Once we figure that out Set Color Glow Solid is self explanatory.

Dragon's breath +4 has 3 Color Pulse effects. Lets look at one of them.

(Wow! When I first messed with this it was much harder to do. I :heart: U @argent77!)
    Actually, when I started writing this post I had a tutorial ready but seeing the updates that have been made I believe it is pretty self explanatory from here. Just note that color values of 0 means no glow will be present and that cycle speed is how fast the glow pulses and 0 means no pulse. So go ahead and make your weapons pretty again!
    Thanks @Tresset ! Hopefully I can work it out later. Near Infinity is one of those things that seem easy once I know how to do something, but can be quite a pain to figure it out in the first place! Incidentally, v1.3 affected Near Infinity? I'm not sure what update you are referring to that made this edit easier.

Also I never had Varscona in BG2:EE before... I just had it in BG:EE pre-v1.3 and I am 95% sure that it came with a blue glow. I don't think it was a pulsing glow, but the blade looked overtly magical.
    edited March 2015
    @Heindrich I was talking about the updates @argent77 is constantly making to NI. I am not sure if you noticed it yet, but this thread has all the latest cool stuff for NI and is definitely where you should be getting your NI versions from. He makes updates with surprising regularity (approximately once every month or so) so check back often.

You sure you aren't talking about Twinkle and not Varscona? Varscona never glowed in BG1.
    Tresset said:

You sure you aren't talking about Twinkle and not Varscona? Varscona never glowed in BG1.

@Tresset
    Ah you might be right... I might have confused Varscona's cold effect with Twinkle's blue glow... Yes if I can replicate Twinkle's glow onto a long sword, that'd be perfect. :smile:
    @Heindrich That's easy. Just copy the color glow effect that is on Twinkle and paste it on another item. Use right click.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a convenient way to take screenshots playing BG2 via Beamdog? Like an equivalent for F12 on Steam games.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    On windows i just press PrtScr and it save a screenshot automatically in a folder called scrshot. You can find it where your savegame folder is (for me it's somewhere in users/documents), the game creates it for you.
    @lolien Oh of course, thanks! I used to know this! lol Brain malfunction...
    elminster said:

Planar sphere is the quest regarding Valygar. You are thinking the Planar Prison.

Try

C:MoveToArea("AR0516")

to travel there and

C:MoveToArea("AR0510")

to move back to the threatre.

Thanks again for this! Worked well. I finally got out of Underdark and was able to try this.
    Not as far as I'm aware.
    Just to be safe we should ask @KidCarnival
    edited March 2015
    Are the drow party spawns endless in the Underdark city, after you have completed it story-wise? It's definitely a good place for XP/money/potion gains and I estimate I've killed around hundred or more of them, but they just keep re-appearing upon entering the city and fleeing with a dozen or nearly two dozen drows following.

edit: Apparently those spawning drow groups run out eventually. At the end of those waves there were four glabrezus (serious folk) and few other nasty looking big demons, which names I can't recall. I'm a good way into cleansing the whole Ust Natha. A whole lot of fun I add!
    Post edited by Azaloom on
    Azaloom said:

Are the drow party spawns endless in the Underdark city, after you have completed it story-wise? It's definitely a good place for XP/money/potion gains and I estimate I've killed around hundred or more of them, but they just keep re-appearing upon entering the city and fleeing with a dozen or nearly two dozen drows following.

edit: Apparently those spawning drow groups run out eventually. At the end of those waves there were four glabrezus (serious folk) and few other nasty looking big demons, which names I can't recall. I'm a good way into cleansing the whole Ust Natha. A whole lot of fun I add!

@Azaloom You using mods? I don't think that happens in an unmodded game...
    edited March 2015
    I have the Stratagems v30 installed, nothing else and all difficulty tapped out. I estimate I butchered around 100 to 150 drows before the endlessly seeming stream stopped. As soon as the spawning seemed to slow down or stop I pushed through the town square at the entrance. After I killed those demons at the end of the swarm I made my way through the city and killed anything and everything, except the slaves in their cages and a few wild dogs, which I suppose was around two or three dozen drows more and a couple of spiders and two mind flayers. Folks at the inn didn't seem to be initially hostile and even willing to talk, but that didn't stop me. Now there's not a drow soul in the city. No reputation drop. Good XP.
    edited March 2015
    I knew it was mods...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Tresset said:

Is the Bloated Bladder-Bag Beholder Council a canon thing in D&D or FR?

There is Ootul, the beholder city in the Underdark. Maybe it's referring to the rulers of that city?