Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    Any way to access the container circled in the picture on the link below at outside of the Spellhold?
    http://tinypic.com/r/x4r9yx/8
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Azaloom not without cheating. You can use ctrl-j to get to it but it doesn't have much in it anyway.
    @Tresset Ok, thanks. I supposed so.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Azaloom said:

Any way to access the container circled in the picture on the link below at outside of the Spellhold?
    http://tinypic.com/r/x4r9yx/8

Spoiler

I wouldn't really worry about it. At most it just has a random item (like a non-magic ring, some gold, a gem or a non-magic amulet).
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    Shouldn't it really be removed if it can't be normally accessed and has nothing of value in it anyway? I remember once wandering around that whole area for half an hour trying to find a way to get over there, only to give up, but I was still left with a nagging feeling I may have missed something important. Surely that wasn't intended?
    I have another question, which has started to nag me. SPOILERS AHEAD: Reading about all the various boots of speed you can acquire during BG2:Ee I found out, that one pair can be had from a place called Planar Sphere. This place is accessed during the Haer'Dalis quest. Only problem is that I refused to give the gem back to the group down at the theater place, which resulted in hostilities and me chopping the whole bunch, including Haer'Dalis. Now I've been playing so far within game guidelines and not resorting to any sort of deviance from that, but would it be any way possible to use the console to still get to venture the Planar Sphere and back, acquiring the boots, with proper work of course, without braking the game integrity for the rest of the game?
    edited February 2015
    Planar sphere is the quest regarding Valygar. You are thinking the Planar Prison.

Try

C:MoveToArea("AR0516")

to travel there and

C:MoveToArea("AR0510")

to move back to the threatre.
    Great, thanks! I'll have a try on my next gaming session. And you're absolutely right on that correction.
    edited February 2015
    Any tips on fighting the drow in the Underdark? I'm playing with hardest in game difficulty with Stratagems installed with pretty much also hardest install options. They seem especially hardy bunch. The very first group you encounter, around five to seven drows, are proving to be a real challenge for my group.

edit: It appears that silence, when successfully struck through their fairly high magic protection, doesn't seem to affect their spell casting abilities. Am I right?
    edited February 2015
    Well I barely happened to manage to kill that particular drow group (edit: the one residing by the sphere shaped metallic prison). But during that battle Aerie died. I have no cleric in my group, nor any raise dead scrolls. Is there any means in the Underdark to bring her back alive?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited February 2015
    @Azaloom The duergar probably sell raise dead scrolls.

BTW, a trump card against pretty much everything is a simple Mordekainen's Sword. Or five. Enemies generally have a single casting of death spell if any. Killing multiple Mordy's is quite hard.
    edited February 2015
    Thanks FinneousPJ! Where would I find those duergar? I would prefer to seek them first thing and try get Aerie raised, before any further ventures into Underdark. The party of tree dwarves/gnomes at the beginning of Underdark do not sell anything of help.

edit: Nevermind. I re-played the thing and this time everyone survived.
    Post edited by Azaloom on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited February 2015
    nvm
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited February 2015
    Technical question here:

If an armor have following AC bonuses when opened in Near Infinity:
    Effect 10 Type: AC bonus (0),Target: Self (1),Power: 0,AC value: 1,Bonus to: ( Set base AC to value(4) ),
    Effect 11 Type: AC bonus (0),Target: Self (1),Power: 0,AC value: 4,Bonus to: ( Slashing weapons(3) ),
    Effect 12 Type: AC bonus (0),Target: Self (1),Power: 0,AC value: 3,Bonus to: ( Piercing weapons(2) ),
    Effect 13 Type: AC bonus (0),Target: Self (1),Power: 0,AC value: 3,Bonus to: ( Missile weapons(1) ),
    Effect 14 Type: AC bonus (0),Target: Self (1),Power: 0,AC value: 3,Bonus to: ( All weapons )

Should its AC description be:

Armor Class: 1 (-6 vs. slashing weapons, -5 vs. piercing and missile weapons)

or

Armor Class: 1 (-3 vs. slashing weapons, -2 vs. piercing and missile weapons)

or

Armor Class: -2 (-6 vs. slashing weapons, -5 vs. piercing and missile weapons) ?
    Probably easier to just go with

AC - 2

-6 vs Slashing
    -5 vs piercing
    -5 vs missile
    Is there any way to change temporarily or even permanently the alignment of a party member? It'd be more than nice to somehow equip Minsc with the Soul Reaver +4. It cannot be wield by a good character of any sub alignment, although I don't know if the listed combined class restriction cleric/ranger would also prevent Minsc from ever being able to use the sword? It's just too good of a two handed sword...
  • Digital_SneezeDigital_Sneeze Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Can anyone figure out why my charisma on a couple of my characters has been permanently lowered? Randomly spotted that my main guy had his charisma reduced to 1, and now I just noticed that Keldorn was walking around in his 'jammies, and to my chagrin realised that he could no longer wear his armour because he has "inadequate charisma" (reduced from 18 to 16).

The charisma numbers are in white, not red, so doesn't look like they're being affected by anything, and I've tried casting Lesser Restoration and Heal on them, visiting Temples (all the available restorative options are redded out on the afflicted characters), tried removing all equipment and items and booting out all other characters of the party. Sleeping doesn't help either. The only thing I haven't tried is the greater restoration spell, which I don't have access to yet, but I have a feeling that wouldn't solve the problem. Been fighting a lot of vampires recently so wondering if that has something to do with it.

Playing the EE version btw, with no other mods installed.

Some hot walnuts to anyone that can solve this.

[had to console in a second Ring of Human Influence as a temporary solution]
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    Azaloom said:

Is there any way to change temporarily or even permanently the alignment of a party member? It'd be more than nice to somehow equip Minsc with the Soul Reaver +4. It cannot be wield by a good character of any sub alignment, although I don't know if the listed combined class restriction cleric/ranger would also prevent Minsc from ever being able to use the sword? It's just too good of a two handed sword...

There are three specific party members whose alignment can be changed through the course of the game. Minsc isn't one of them. Only way to alter his alignment is through Shadow/EE Keeper.
    Thanks Rooksx! Too bad on the other hand...

Is anyone in the game buying Kuo'toan bolts, or am I just unnecessarily stacking them up from Underdark? I'm not really using them myself.

Can anyone figure out why my charisma on a couple of my characters has been permanently lowered? Randomly spotted that my main guy had his charisma reduced to 1, and now I just noticed that Keldorn was walking around in his 'jammies, and to my chagrin realised that he could no longer wear his armour because he has "inadequate charisma" (reduced from 18 to 16).

Have you had him use the Rod of Terror?
  • Digital_SneezeDigital_Sneeze Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    elminster said:

Have you had him use the Rod of Terror?

D'oh, yeah seems I have. Used it to wack some Golems. Should have read the description before using it. Cheers, at least that explains it.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited February 2015
    What class has the best natural saves? I know they're all relatively similar, but I want to play a character with the best possible saves. (obviously a shorty)

Edit: Perhaps a gnome F/I? If saves are "whichever class has the better save is what goes" then that would mean a F/M would have 3(Death)/3(Wand)/4(Poly)/4(Breath)/4(Spell)? Add to that a gnome's bonus saves from an 18 CON and you have some spectacular natural saves.
    edited February 2015
    Elrandir said:

What class has the best natural saves?

A max level dwarf or halfling fighter with max constitution bonuses would have

-2/0/4/4/1

vs

3/-2/4/4/-1 for a gnome fighter/illusionist

So technically (assuming "natural" means without using abilities or spells) the pure dwarf or halfling fighter would win by 1.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    If you are going by class alone I think it is monks.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Well awesome. I actually just rolled up a halfling fighter, so this'll be fun. But this is just more proof of how the dwarven defender is an absolute defensive monster.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2015
    So, I'm playing a modded game with the following:

Assassinations
    Unfinished Business
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Item Revisions
    Spell Revisions
    SCS (pretty much everything)
    BG2Tweaks (partial - XP cap remover, multiple-strongholds, very little else)

And I'm in the Slaver Stockade and the two Trolls are unkillable... I'm wailing on them with Fire Arrows, Melf's, the Stonefire Axe and all and they go to "Near Death" really quickly, but never fall to the floor for the finishing blow... Ctrl-Y doesn't even work.

It's killing my run, as I can't even bypass them... they appear outside the stockade if I try to leave.

Help me Obi Wan... You're my only hope!

Edit:

Never mind...
    I tried to uninstall the More Resilient Trolls component of SCS, and now the game won't open... looks like a full reinstall.

Growling now.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Stop attacking the trolls for a second, for some reason they won't fall if they're still being attacked.
    wubble said:

Stop attacking the trolls for a second, for some reason they won't fall if they're still being attacked.

On my 5th reload, I was Ctrl-Ying them from the other side of the fence (not attacking at all)... and they still kept going!
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @abacus During the years there have been numerous similar issues with "unkillable trolls" and the latest I know of is a compatibility issue added by EE patch 1.3. They changed the scripts that determine how trolls die and that caused issues with ToBEx/SR fix for Dispel behaviour.

Have you installed SR's Dispel Magic Fix? If yes, you have 3 options:

1) un-install SR's Dispel Magic Fix (that will re-introduce minor vanilla issues but it's better than unkillable trolls)

2) see here how to fix it yourself: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26517&p=232874

3) wait 24-36 hours for my next SR build ;)
    @Demivrgvs Thanks. I searched around at the time, and found other resources saying the Dispel Fix was causing this issue.

Running without it now.

Thanks for the great mods other wise, though! Very enjoyable.