Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2015
    Is there a console command to spawn a potion case? I think it’s a down right farce how late you’re supposed to get one in BG2, which I read is acquirable late on the Throne of Bhaal portion. I think this should be fixed in upcoming patch. The inventory gimmicking is one of the most dissatisfying sides of the game, especially on smaller sized generic items, which potions are a great example of.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Azaloom you can buy one at the Watcher's Keep store. It is really easy to get.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015
    Plus wasn't the stackage size for potions increased in the EE's? Honestly I am of the mantra that if you find a potion use it or sell it asap. At least in an unmodded game. The exception to that might be healing potions. You can always buy potions for difficult battles and I find I will otherwise end up with too many.
    Okay, thanks. I was just about to travel to Watcher's Keep anyway. Maybe I'll consider elminster's approach...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Rooksx There was a discussion about it some time ago:

@TJ_Hooker said that a Monks' AC should be implemented via changing their base AC and if it stacks with things like Bracers of Defense, it's a bug

@Schneidend said that on the contrary, their AC bonus SHOULD stack with Bracers of Defense as it's the case in the 3rd edition of AD&D.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21653/rasaads-awesome-ac-and-dual-wield

We didn't hear an official answer that time and it seems that while, after all these patches, Monks' base AC stacks with Bracers, it's not a bug.
    Dragon disciples bonus isn't affected by bracers. Neither is the swashbucklers. I don't see why monks would be given the description never says it is setting their base AC with these bonuses.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2015
    bengoshi said:

@TJ_Hooker said that a Monks' AC should be implemented via changing their base AC and if it stacks with things like Bracers of Defense, it's a bug

I forget exactly what I said back then, so let me clarify. I was referring to the fact that, as of a certain patch (I forget which one), a Monk's AC suddenly changed to being an AC bonus rather than setting base AC. This meant that it now stacked with a variety of things such as Bracers of Defense, which it never had in the previous versions nor in vanilla BG2. I thought this was a not insignificant change, and yet I don't remember any of the devs commenting on it or providing rationale for the change. I'm not even sure if it was mentioned in the patch notes. Given all that, I thought it possible that it was an unintended side effect of tweaking the way a Monk's AC was implemented. But I'm not declaring it a bug outright.

Edit: it looks like it was patch 1.2 that changed this. And yeah, no mention of monk AC in the patch notes other than "Externalized Monk's AC bonuses". So in my mind this still seems like something that was changed accidently. But yeah I suppose that if it's been left this way for this long, the devs have decided they like it the way it is, making it not a bug. I would vote for it functioning as it used to, but I don't feel too strongly either way.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    abacus said:

In the Rogue Rebalancing mod, there's a Bardic item called the Lyre of Progression which is equipped in the shield slot and grants additional spell-slots... How does this sync with fighting styles? Does it nullify the Single Weapon Fighting style?

Playing IWD:EE now, I can confirm that the lyre currently does nullify single weap style, but I don't know if that's intended behavior or a bug - perhaps someone else here can shed some light on that? (so I don't end up wasting anyone's time by reporting it as a bug).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @SharGuidesMyHand That's a question for the modder rather than Beamdog.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

@SharGuidesMyHand That's a question for the modder rather than Beamdog.

The lyre is an original item in IWD though, unlike BG where it requires a mod to be imported.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Where can I find a full list of the baldur.ini lines and descriptions for them? It's been almost twenty years and my searching has come up pretty dry.
    How do I unsubscribe from email notifications on a particular thread in this forum?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Look at the top left of the page go into setting and edit profile, then notification settings :)
    Was there before and I still cannot find where you unsubscribe from a thread.
    The top right corner of a threads page has a star symbol. Make sure that isn't filled in.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Azaloom said:

Was there before and I still cannot find where you unsubscribe from a thread.

@Azaloom I don't think you can turn of notification from a specific thread but you can just turn of emails for every notification.
    That sucks. It is as I doubted. I'm gonna have to do that and consequently miss notification on topics I would've liked to be notified...
    Does anyone know if guarbe.dlg is used at all?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

abacus said:

In the Rogue Rebalancing mod, there's a Bardic item called the Lyre of Progression which is equipped in the shield slot and grants additional spell-slots... How does this sync with fighting styles? Does it nullify the Single Weapon Fighting style?

Playing IWD:EE now, I can confirm that the lyre currently does nullify single weap style, but I don't know if that's intended behavior or a bug - perhaps someone else here can shed some light on that? (so I don't end up wasting anyone's time by reporting it as a bug).
    My guess is that it is a consequence of the Lyre of Progression being categorized as a "shield" (check out the .ITM file in Near Infinity). I assume that it has to be in order to be equipable to the shield/off-hand weapon slot. I suppose it could be categorized as a weapon, but then it would likely activate two-weapon fighting style penalties.

Curious - do you get the S&S style bonus with the Lyre?
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664

Is it intended behavior for the Lyre of Progression to negate single weapon style? Right now, if you carry the lyre in your left arm, the game treats it like a shield and doesn't apply the SWS AC bonus.

It's not a shield, so no S&S bonus. It blocks your left hand, so no single weapon bonus. It isn't a weapon, so no 2 weapons bonus. There is no sword and instrument weapon style. Having that lute in the left hand is worse than having your left hand completely cut off.
    This is from the IWD General Questions thread, @AstroBryGuy
  • WinterWinter Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. A quick question. I like the story narrating and the NPC conversations inside the baldur's gate game. However I was disappointing by novel version of this game. Is there any source or text document that I could read the narrations and conversations in the game?

Thanks in advance
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    elminster said:

Just to be safe we should ask @KidCarnival

I hereby violently deny the existance of any counsils at all. (That was the question, right?)

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Winter said:

Hi guys. A quick question. I like the story narrating and the NPC conversations inside the baldur's gate game. However I was disappointing by novel version of this game. Is there any source or text document that I could read the narrations and conversations in the game?

Thanks in advance

@Winter I would say that most (if not all) of us here hate the novels for the unholy abominations that they are. No true fan of the game would consider those things canon.

Perhaps this thread will answer your question.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Does anyone have any ideas when the next blog entree will come for Adventure Y? I really am excited about that game. I dont know which 2nd edition d and d rpg I should play while waiting. I already beat IWdale 1, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced edition.

I would be interested in PS-Torment Enhanced edition but I doubt Trent who will be spent Oster will have the time to work on that after as its bg 3 or ?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @DKnight http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/631706/#Comment_631706

So, we simply have to wait. You can try Pillars of Eternity while waiting for the Adventure Y.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Nah, the only way I could play another real time game like this would be if its kotor. Kotor was 3rd edition and it did it better than any of the ones Ive played. I'd play Pillars but if it isnt based in d and d- I will lose interest.
  • WinterWinter Member Posts: 2
    Tresset said:

Winter said:

Thanks in advance

@Winter I would say that most (if not all) of us here hate the novels for the unholy abominations that they are. No true fan of the game would consider those things canon.

Perhaps this thread will answer your question.
    Thank you sir
  • howmanyhourshowmanyhours Member Posts: 23
    Hi all - very quick question but does the Breach "element" of the wand of spell striking work against enemies like liches and rakshasas (why is that word so hard to spell!?) or is it still treated as a level 5 spell?

Thanks!
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @howmanyhours: I'm getting "spell ineffective" using it on a lich.
    @howmanyhours (in a non-SCS game) Breach will remove a creature's combat protections (such as Stoneskin) even if that creature is protected by Spell Deflection, Spell Turning or Spell Trap; it will not, however, affect creatures like liches or rakshasas, because they are immune to spells of level 5 or below.

The Breach effect of the Wand of Spell Striking acts the same.

The More consistent Breach spell component from the SCS mod removes both features: Breach will bounce off Spell Turning (etc.), but it will effect even those creatures immune to "normal" 5th level spells, including liches and rakshasa. You need the version 30 of this mod in order for this component to work normally.