Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    A door in Forest of Tethir, only appearing on map?
    http://i61.tinypic.com/k2keps.png
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Azaloom said:

A door in Forest of Tethir, only appearing on map?
    http://i61.tinypic.com/k2keps.png

@Azaloom Keep playing, it'll reveal itself when the time is right.
  • AzaloomAzaloom Member Posts: 56
    Thanks wubble! I'll do that. I just wanted to make sure, as typically leaving this sort of cleared area you'd not likely to ever return.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I just discovered that BG2 starts exactly one year after the start of BG1! Was that always the case?! Is there any reason for this?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Heindrich said:

I just discovered that BG2 starts exactly one year after the start of BG1! Was that always the case?! Is there any reason for this?

It was always the case. The reason for that is not explained anywhere. Though it might have been something Wizards of the Coast laid out to Bioware prior to the games development.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Heindrich said:

Now I'm thinking that Bioware always had in mind creating a 1.5 game one day. Trent Oster once said that they had got some Bioware information about how the bridge between the two parts should look like and that they actually would use that information in the Adventure Y. So, I guess we will find out the reason soon.
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone know if there's anyway to slow down the frequency of banter conversations in BG2:EE, particularly romance stuff? I play with a lot of spellcasters and pause a lot ingame, and I understand that these things are timed by "real-life" time, so it feels like events are progressing too fast in terms of ingame time. (Anomen's sister got murdered before day 10! And Aerie's already confiding things in Charname).

If it's not easily "edit-able", I guess I'll just spend longer resting for no reason and save-reload whilst I am figuring out micromanagement decisions like how to share scrolls between a party of 3 mages (eventually 4) so that I don't waste so much "real time" paused ingame.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Heindrich There is no easy way to do that. The timers are set by dialogs and scripts and to lengthen the timers you would have to locate and edit each setting of a timer individually. There are a lot of them.
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    I'm considering a full saga EE run on Insanity with near-full SCS. Would removing the XP cap in BG1 make me a dirty, filthy cheater or be a justifiable way of making life more bearable? I wonder if It would even make that much of a difference as in my only playthrough of BG1, my Charname hit the cap fairly late in the game. XP certainly doesn't seem as plentiful as in BG2.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Rooksx Up to you, friend. I personally like the xp-uncapper, but that's because I find a lock on xp to be silly. What you consider cheating or not is up to you and your own conscience. I say go for it.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Does Haer'Dalis fit in with Team Evil in BG2:EE? I'm thinking of taking him along instead of Korgan as my second melee party member...
    @shawne I think he is one of the few characters who gets along with everyone.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I was thinking more along gameplay lines - can he hold his own in combat as well as Korgan?
    @shawne I have seen powergamers claim that Haer'Dalis is the ultimate tank NPC. My understanding is that he does not hit as hard as Korgan (who has Grand Mastery) and requires a bit more itemisation, but with mage protections, defensive spin and bard songs, he certainly has a lot of staying power.
    @shawne Yeah, he can be defensive, but his offense isn't weak either, especially if you give him a strength item. He can buff himself quite well.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @shawne Haer'Dalis, being a blade, is an excellent choice for a tank.

Just cast Stoneskin, Mirror Image and Blur, then activate Offensive Spin and see him do things for you. Later add Mislead to it.

Want him to tank mages? Cast Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Spell Deflection.

Ok, I have a question.

Does Imprisonment break a romance in the EE? Neera has been Imprisoned by Kangaxx and then came back with me casting Freedom. I took her back into the party. @Jalily ?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The EE romances are not broken by Imprisonment.
    Jalily said:

The EE romances are not broken by Imprisonment.

If I am not mistaken then neither are the vanilla romances. I think they managed to do a rough work around for the issue... I could be mistaken. I just remember that when I freed a romanced Jaheira from Imprisonment and spoke to her she gave me her "Are you sure you want to kick me out?" dialog instead of her "You kicked me out and I am ready to rejoin." dialog. I think that fixes it...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2015
    A friend of mine asked me if BGEE has some good items for bards.
    At present, I recall just the elven chain mail. Is there anything else?
    @Aedan Well... There are, of course, a few things that are only usable by bards... Greagan's Harp is really nice. The Harp of Pandemonium is also good. There are many varieties of Elven Chain, including the Melodic Chain which is only usable by bards. The thing with bards is that they start out able to use just about anything, and then they get UAI at which point they actually CAN use anything. The trick is figuring out what out of all that they can use is best for them. If your friend had something more specific in mind someone may be able to point you in the right direction.
    edited March 2015
    Aedan said:

A friend of mine asked me if BGEE has some good items for bards.
    At present, I recall just the elven chain mail. Is there anything else?

There is a harp (The Captive Audience aka Greagan's Harp) that you can buy from Ulgoth's Beard's Inn. It just lets you cast Domination once each day.

Otherwise besides the Elven Chainmail there is the Chesley Crusher. Its pretty much made for bards.

For the record there isn't any Melodic Chainmail or a Harp of Pandemonium in BGEE (those appear in BG2EE).
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Thank you, guys :)
    I will recommend him to install Rogue Rebalancing then.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    I'm pretty sure the Harp of Pandemonium is added to BG EE by the unfinished business mod. I've gotten it on ocasion from the 3 wandering bards in Peldvale, but other times they gave me some other harp.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    A wonderful Mod adventure upgrading BG1 Bard-play might be a quest beginning in Cloakwoods III where all the Druids are hanging out. There really ought to be something more in a map so favored by the primary natural opposites of Iron Throne hegemony.

Perhaps the reward would be a Cap of Invisibility only wearable by Rogues or Bards that requires music to free some enchanted something or other which normally appears to be a loathsome menace or Hag.

Basically because I think Garrick is a wasted NPC that ought to be upgraded. A Bard in the party adds a distinctively different RP tone. IMHO.
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone know if Banmer.dlg is a used dialogue file in the game? (in BG1/BGEE) It seems like an interesting dialogue yet I can't recall it getting used anywhere.
    @elminster pretty sure it is unused.
    Excellent :)
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Will there be a patch 1.4 for both bg2ee & bg1ee release?
    Parys said:

Will there be a patch 1.4 for both bg2ee & bg1ee release?

Yes though no date has been announced for those.
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    Is the Monk's AC improvement implemented correctly? The description says that it decreases by 1 point every two 2 levels. This suggests to me that their base AC would fall. But the game implements the decrease as a bonus, ie the Monk's base AC remains 9, but it gets a -1 bonus every 2 levels. This means that if you equip AC bracers, the Monk's AC bonus is applied on top, eg a level 5 Monk wth AC 3 bracers will have 1 AC (ignoring Dex bonus).

The result is that a Monk's AC can be extremely low, particularly if you have a Skald singing their incredible song. Not complaining but just curious if this is the way it should be given the wording of the AC improvement description.