Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    Blades said:

What is in the works? I am looking for info about what additional content will be released for BG:EE and BG2:EE. Is there an IWD:EE coming, etc....not looking for rumors, just what is confirmed going to be created?

Adventure Y is confirmed. @Bengoshi compiled a list of everything said about it.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26673/all-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-adventure-y/p1

Otherwise as far as I know there hasn't been any news in terms of any other next projects by Overhaul/Beamdog.
    [Deleted User]StormvesselJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Sergio said:

Ok, another question:

Is it required that I do xzar quest (involving montaron) on bg2 to see an advancement on Jaheira's personal quest? Or are they unlinked? And as soon as I give the body of the dieing harper to the harpers, I'm fine and the quest is started?

According to this it is required.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/SoA/chapter-2/quests/harper-hold-quests.php

The harper quest is required but there are still no guarantees. I have never romanced Jaheira but I hear it can take a very long time and you may have to rest a few times.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Sergio‌

Yes, the Monty quest is the start of the whole series of Jaheira's meetings with her harper kin. As soon sa you give the body to the harper, Xzar will appear and ask for help.
    Stormvesseljackjack
    I am messing around beneath Durlag's Tower right now, and I came across some armor called "The Practical Defense +3" which is AC0. Well, evidently it can't be used it to replace my regular Full Plate (AC1) because it's magical and, surprise, it cannot be used with a Ring of the Princes +1 or a Protector +1.

So basically, I would be trading AC1 along with a ring which boosts my AC +1 AND Saving Throws +1, for magical AC0 Armor.

So equipping it would grant me nothing over full-plate, and in fact I would be losing a point on my saving throws.

The "Practical" Defense. Hilarious.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackTressetElrandir
    Oh, I forgot to ask:

Is there a mod to do away with the restriction on combining magical equipment?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Sergio‌

Meronia is supposed to summon Jaheira to the Harper's Hold ONLY after delivering Montaron (in bird shape) to Xzar. So, if you don't do Xzar's quest, Jaheira's personal quest won't proceed.
    [Deleted User]
    JuliusBorisov
    @Stormvessel‌

The Multiple Protection Items tweak from BG2 Tweaks works on BG:EE and BG2:EE and provides two alternatives: allow unlimited stacking, or a PnP option (when you only get AC from your armor or one of your protection items).
    StormvesselRavenslightelminsterjackjack
    edited June 2014
    @‌ Sergio

I guess it might, but perhaps it could be tied to a character's constitution. For instance, too much magic equipment could be very draining, but someone with a higher constitution could wear more.

Meh, I just wanted to be able to use the Practical Defense without it being, you know, impractical. I guess I can cast the mightiest spell of all - "EEkeeper" - and equip my necklace along with my armor.
    JuliusBorisov
    bengoshi said:

@Stormvessel‌

The Multiple Protection Items tweak from BG2 Tweaks works on BG:EE and BG2:EE and provides two alternatives: allow unlimited stacking, or a PnP option (when you only get AC from your armor or one of your protection items).

THANKS!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

I am messing around beneath Durlag's Tower right now, and I came across some armor called "The Practical Defense +3" which is AC0. Well, evidently it can't be used it to replace my regular Full Plate (AC1) because it's magical and, surprise, it cannot be used with a Ring of the Princes +1 or a Protector +1.

So basically, I would be trading AC1 along with a ring which boosts my AC +1 AND Saving Throws +1, for magical AC0 Armor.

So equipping it would grant me nothing over full-plate, and in fact I would be losing a point on my saving throws.

I just wanted to be able to use the Practical Defense without it being, you know, impractical.

@Stormvessel, the Practical Defense is a Plate Mail so it has worse modifiers than Full Plate:

Full Plate plus ring/amulet is

0 vs. Crushing
    -3 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

Practical Defense plus ring/amulet (if you remove the restriction) is

-1 vs. Crushing
    -1 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

so it's slightly better vs. Crushing, but worse vs. Piercing/Missile.
    StormvesselelminsterjackjackTJ_Hooker
    Erg said:

I just wanted to be able to use the Practical Defense without it being, you know, impractical.

@Stormvessel, the Practical Defense is a Plate Mail so it has worse modifiers than Full Plate:

0 vs. Crushing
    -3 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

-1 vs. Crushing
    -1 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

Doesn't seem practical...
    ErgJuliusBorisovjackjackTJ_Hooker
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

Erg said:

0 vs. Crushing
    -3 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

-1 vs. Crushing
    -1 vs. Piercing/Missile
    -4 vs. Slashing

Doesn't seem practical...
    But it glows!!!
    elminsterErgTJ_HookerStormvessel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    TJ_Hooker said:

I think the Practical Defense's best use is being worn by a character who lacks the strength to wear full plate (e.g. Branwen). However, now that Ankheg Plate allows an item of protection to be worn simultaneously, that use has been lessened.

Very true, but with Branwen I usually equip her with the Ring of Sune and the amulet of spell warding, so the Practical Defense may be practical after all - at least when it comes to Branwen.
    TJ_HookerCrevsDaakjackjack
    Finished another playthrough and have decided to roll a pure Kensai (Half-Orc), and there are a few things I am curious about:

Does Celestial Fury's proc rate remain at 5% even with Kai active?

Spectral Brand +5 is a real pain in the ass to obtain, so I am definitely not wanting to go with scimitars on this playthrough - but I still wish to use Belm in the offhand. Would you recommend grandmastery in scimitars merely for Belm (I plan to GM flails and katanas)?

Finally, is it worth giving up 1 Str, 1 Dex, and 2 Cha and to go with Dwarf instead (shorty saves)?

Finished another playthrough and have decided to roll a pure Kensai (Half-Orc), and there are a few things I am curious about:

Spectral Brand +5 is a real pain in the ass to obtain, so I am definitely not wanting to go with scimitars on this playthrough - but I still wish to use Belm in the offhand. Would you recommend grandmastery in scimitars merely for Belm (I plan to GM flails and katanas)?

Finally, is it worth giving up 1 Str, 1 Dex, and 2 Cha and to go with Dwarf instead (shorty saves)?

1. Yes

2. Not until you have grandmastery in the main hand weapons you plan to use

3. Yes
    StormvesseljackjackJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    So... How do critical hits work? Do they do more damage? What excactly does a helmet do? Noob question but I'm vague on specifics.
    jackjack
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

So... How do critical hits work? Do they do more damage? What excactly does a helmet do? Noob question but I'm vague on specifics.

I could very easily be mistaken, but I believe whenever your character attacks there are two separate rolls:

1. D20 roll for hit, and whether it hits or not is determined by your thac0. Say you have a thac0 of 10 and you roll a 10, that means someone with an armor class of 0 or worse will be hit. The way critical hits work, is that any natural roll of 20 (or 19 with certain proficiencies), will automatically connect no matter what - and if the character is not wearing a helmet, it will be a crit.

2. There is also a damage roll based on the weapon used. A Katana, for instance, would be D10 - once that's determined dmg bonuses are applied. So if you have 6 dmg bonus due to stats and items, and you rolled an 8, you would do 14 damage. In such a situation, your damage stat would read 7-16 in the menu.

Again, if you roll a perfect 20 to hit (or 19 in some cases), that's a critical, and whatever you roll on your damage will be doubled.

Helmets grant immunity to critical hits.
    meaglothjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited June 2014
    @meagloth @Stormvessel‌ The damage you rolled is not doubled per the rules, but rather you get to roll damage twice. I'm not sure if the game works this way, however.
    meaglothjackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Sergio said:

I've got a question to ask (another..)

I was playing with a barbarian, and as you know barbarian has the ability rage.
    Anyway, my barbarian has 19 constitution
    After-rage the constitution is 23

When my barbarian is raging and I level up, the hp I will gain are 18.
    When he is not raging he will gain 17 hp.

Is that 1 hp an error? Will it disappear? It makes no sense..

That's odd... Shouldn't the hit points be rolled from base con, not current con? Otherwise you could just load anyone up on potions before level up.
    Elrandir
    TJ_Hooker said:

It's not a bug. Bonus HP is always calculated based on your current CON. You can boost your CON prior to levelling up, but it won't change anything. As soon as you remove whatever was providing the CON bonus, your HP will decrease appropriately.

This
    CrevsDaakTJ_HookerjackjackStormvessel
    elminster said:

1. Yes

2. Not until you have grandmastery in the main hand weapons you plan to use

3. Yes
    My gawd Kensai Half-Orcs are OP. Playing it now and I'm starting to remember why I quit halfway through the last time I tried this.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question.
    JuliusBorisov