Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

It doesn't work though. It doesn't move, you only see the first frame. Here, is this running?

The link you provided is using a jpg format for some reason.

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

It doesn't work though. It doesn't move, you only see the first frame. Here, is this running?

The link you provided is using a jpg format for some reason.

I guess it's because I'm posting from my camera roll on my iPad? They don't run in the photos app either, but the run in messages if you send them to someone.
    I swear it was a gif. http://i.imgur.com/RHlhXwi.gif
    But now I click "save image" and upload it, and it's a JPEG:
    Wtf?
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, double post.
    edited June 2014
    This page has so many "spoilers" on it...and they aren't even game spoilers :D
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

I guess it's because I'm posting from my camera roll on my iPad? They don't run in the photos app either, but the run in messages if you send them to someone.
    I swear it was a gif. http://i.imgur.com/RHlhXwi.gif
    But now I click "save image" and upload it, and it's a JPEG:

Don't use the "attach file" option. Just use the format found here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/161/how-to-format-your-posts/p1

So it should look like

< img src="http://i.imgur.com/RHlhXwi.gif" > (you'll need to remove some of the spacing I've included)
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    How are the forum's points calculated? Badges, likes, promotes, agrees, and insightfuls provide points, but how many do they provide, and do other things provide points?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    So, @Elrandir‌

You have 1,677 points

1 insightful = 1 point, 1 agree = 1 point and 1 like = 1 point

1 promote = 5 points

You have 3 Promote, 124 Insightful, 361 Agree and 935 Like

3*5+124+361+935=1435 points

Other points you get from badges. As soon as you get your badge, you get an email and in each email you can read how many points this badge gives. You can also check them here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4247/forum-badges-and-points/p1
    It seems you got 242 points from your badges.
    Thank you! I've always wondered, but never thought to ask. And I never check my email. XD
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Hey guys, about my Half-Orc Kensai, I just thought of something...

I rolled a 93 and went with 19, 18, 19, 11, 8, 18. I figured I would get 3 tomes bringing my Wisdom up to 11, a tome to bring my int up to 12 (+ pot of genius = 16 for mind flayers), and I would sacrifice a wisdom point in spellhold bringing it back down to 10.

I thought these stats were all that I really needed, or else I would have spent more time rolling. But then I hear from someone on the internet that Wisdom affects Magic Defense - I was almost certain they were wrong, so I checked, and sure enough, THE MANUAL STATES IT - "Mag Def Adj". It affects saving throws that attack the mind (which is huge). Penalties start at 7, and bonuses start at 15 and stop at 18 (+4).

Would it be worth shooting for higher wisdom with a fighter so I can get a +2 on my Magic Defense Adjustment?
    @Stormvessel‌ All wisdom does for non-clerics/druids is boost lore. That's it. In P&P it probably has a whole slew of effects, but it doesn't in the game. Nice work on your kensai, btw. That's a strong character right there.
    Would having 100% physical and magical resistance make you essentially invulnerable, and is there a way to do this? Not necessarily all the time, but whenever you're in a hard fight.
    Hmm, now that's a good question. I wonder if it works at all like thac0, whereas you can have a thac0 of 100 (not possible, but still) and they could have an AC of -100, yet if you roll a crit there's a guaranteed hit. Perhaps something like that is true for resistance, as well.
    edited June 2014
    I just created a fighter with 3 wisdom and a fighter with 18 wisdom, and their saving throws are identical. So I guess the manual was wrong.

Edit: I am also interested in finding out the answer to Elrandir's question.
    edited June 2014
    Tell you what you can do, Elrandir. Go to EEkeeper and edit a character w/ 100 resistance across the board, and then console in some beholders and sword spiders, take a 30 minute break, and when you come back if your character is still standing you will have your answer :).

Edit: Using the console that way might not work. Later I will try it when I get deep beneath Durlag's Tower. I will EEkeeper my character and go start a fight with you know who. I will get back to you to let you know. :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Elrandir said:

Would having 100% physical and magical resistance make you essentially invulnerable, and is there a way to do this? Not necessarily all the time, but whenever you're in a hard fight.

Some spells bypass MR but other than that you would be immune to most things. I am not sure if there is a reliable way to get this... Anyone can get 100% MR fairly easily with 2 potions of magic protection. It is much harder to get 100% physical damage resistance...
    edited June 2014

Hey guys, about my Half-Orc Kensai, I just thought of something...

I rolled a 93 and went with 19, 18, 19, 11, 8, 18. I figured I would get 3 tomes bringing my Wisdom up to 11, a tome to bring my int up to 12 (+ pot of genius = 16 for mind flayers), and I would sacrifice a wisdom point in spellhold bringing it back down to 10.

I thought these stats were all that I really needed, or else I would have spent more time rolling. But then I hear from someone on the internet that Wisdom affects Magic Defense - I was almost certain they were wrong, so I checked, and sure enough, THE MANUAL STATES IT - "Mag Def Adj". It affects saving throws that attack the mind (which is huge). Penalties start at 7, and bonuses start at 15 and stop at 18 (+4).

Would it be worth shooting for higher wisdom with a fighter so I can get a +2 on my Magic Defense Adjustment?

Don't use the BG1 or BG2 original manuals. They suck.

(I could have put that more delicately I suppose but there are far too many cases of them just copying text from PnP that isn't applicable in the game)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sergio said:

In the topic linked before, there is a guy saying that a charname greater werewolf is immune to non silver weapons. I never saw silver weapons, but I guess he is probably referring to the fact that you need a weapon with an enchantment comparable to the one you use to beat the greater werewolf in the isle of balduran?

Sorry which topic link?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sergio said:

elminster said:

Sergio said:

In the topic linked before, there is a guy saying that a charname greater werewolf is immune to non silver weapons. I never saw silver weapons, but I guess he is probably referring to the fact that you need a weapon with an enchantment comparable to the one you use to beat the greater werewolf in the isle of balduran?

Sorry which topic link?
    it seems I posted in the wrong thread. I apologize.

Well, antoher question will do, I guess.
    Am I wrong, or the higher your reputation is, the higher the blow on your reputation is if you commit an evil act?

You are correct.

You can find a chart for this under "Effects for actions on reputation table"

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Reputation
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @Sergio‌ you are correct. It scales with reputation.
    Tresset said:

Elrandir said:

Some spells bypass MR but other than that you would be immune to most things. I am not sure if there is a reliable way to get this... Anyone can get 100% MR fairly easily with 2 potions of magic protection. It is much harder to get 100% physical damage resistance...
    Could you get magic immunity like kangaxx or a rakshasa where it just says "spell ineffective"?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    meagloth said:

Tresset said:

Elrandir said:

Could you get magic immunity like kangaxx or a rakshasa where it just says "spell ineffective"?
    That's te effect opcode 'protection from spell level' or 'protection from spell' or 'protection from spell school/type' not from the MR.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    If you could cast spell immunity 8 times then maybe...
    CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

Tresset said:

Elrandir said:

That's te effect opcode 'protection from spell level' or 'protection from spell' or 'protection from spell school/type' not from the MR.
    I know it's not MR. I didn't know the name so I said magic immunity.
    Tresset said:

Is there a way to make the duration Indefinite so it stays that way? But some HL spells are 'any school'. What does that do?
    You could just give yourself an item (made in Near Infinity) that gives you immunity to every spell level, though that won't protect you against every spell/ability.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tresset said:

Well, IIRC, in good ol' buggy BG2 SoA, they DO STACK! Not sure about BG2:ToB, I think there it happened too.
    meagloth said:

Tresset said:

Is there a way to make the duration Indefinite so it stays that way? But some HL spells are 'any school'. What does that do?
    They don't get blocked? ;)
    elminster said:

You could just give yourself an item (made in Near Infinity) that gives you immunity to every spell level, though that won't protect you against every spell/ability.

All the spells/abilities in BG have their levels from 0 to 10. Not sure about mods. So it should be blocking everything, besides that when the byte where the spell level information goes is treated as a 0 when empty.