Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    On my Kensai, I thought about specializing in Halberds just for the Ravager +6. But then I remember hearing about all the enemies that are immune/resistant to piercing/missile damage. I would assume being a Halberd, the Ravager would have it's use taken down a notch by the sheer number of enemies that hold these resistances. Has anyone had any luck with this weapon in ToB?

Edit: Yay, page 11.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I would go so far as to say that the ravager is pretty much the only outstanding halberd in BG2. The others are all kinda meh. The problem I have with BG2 halberds is that all of them (excluding Ravager) are out done by the Impaler and the best of the SoA halberds (Dragon's Breath) is on par with the spear of withering. Now if Dragon's Breath did 1d10+4 damage +5 elemental damage that would be a different story...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    Were can I find a good spear in bg2? Minimal spoiler if it's a quest, just tell where to go. I'm rolling up a bard(jester)with a spear because this:
    image(thanks to ladyrhians thread)

And I'm thinking crossbow for missile weapon, pretending it's a hand crossbow. Is that sound? I know I can get fire tooth or whatever it's called from watchers keep, and money is never an issue for me cause I do all the quests in chapter 2:P
    I also might use a halberd later, I dunno. That's probably stronger, but I feel like spear doesn't get enough love.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    *steals @meagloth‌ 's portrait*
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    jackjack said:

*steals @meagloth‌ 's portrait*

I know, right? My more superhero-literate friends tell me it looks like somebody called gambit, but I wouldn't know. I just know he's really cool. @LadyRhian‌?
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

I know, right? My more superhero-literate friends tell me it looks like somebody called gambit, but I wouldn't know. I just know he's really cool.

He makes me think of Gambit if Gambit were in Faerun. Spear instead of bo staff. Dice instead of cards. Cool pic regardless.
    edited June 2014
    In that case, maybe I will shoot for grandmastery in halberds with a pip in two-handed weapons. Wielding the Ravager +6 w/ crits on 19 and 20, all the Kensai bonuses, Kai, and Fighter HLAs - and I could be on to something serious.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I did wonder whether anyone would start rolling for halberds and/or spears in the wake of Prince Oberyn's general kick-assery...

To me, they're still a guard's weapons!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    abacus said:

I did wonder whether anyone would start rolling for halberds and/or spears in the wake of Prince Oberyn's general kick-assery...

Just make sure you're not overconfident or you will supply some food to Boo ;)
    edited June 2014
    Ooh, I rolled an awesome Blackguard. I just have to show him off, but at the same time I have a genuine question: Do Blackguards eventually gain access to divine spells (à la other Paladins)? It's not mentioned under disadvantages (as it is with Inquisitor) and I couldn't find actual confirmation to this question anywhere.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes, they do.
    Ha! And I thought so. People were acting as if they didn't in the "Blackguard: Kit description" thread.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

Were can I find a good spear in bg2? Minimal spoiler if it's a quest, just tell where to go. I'm rolling up a bard(jester)with a spear because this:

image(thanks to ladyrhians thread)

And I'm thinking crossbow for missile weapon, pretending it's a hand crossbow. Is that sound? I know I can get fire tooth or whatever it's called from watchers keep, and money is never an issue for me cause I do all the quests in chapter 2:P
    I also might use a halberd later, I dunno. That's probably stronger, but I feel like spear doesn't get enough love.
    You can name him Mathrim Cauthon for example.

Edit: but i doubt, that you can find an Ashandarei for him in Faerun.
    edited June 2014
    elminster said:

Yes though for level 3 spells they get Unholy Blight instead of Holy Smite. Also for HLA's they'll get Summon Fallen Deva instead of Summon Deva.

When buffed my Cleric can hit harder than the damage it deals, so I never used Holy Smite (unless surrounded by low hd mobs). Unholy Blight is probably worthless due to the lack of good aligned enemies.

As long as I can cast DUHM, Defensive Harmony, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, and maybe a Chant here or there, I'm happy. I can use Vicky for the heavy stuff.
    edited June 2014
    Tresset said:

@Stormvessel‌ Don't forget Armor of Faith! It is an awesome spell for a Blackguard and it stacks with hardiness.

That's true. By the time I get Priest spells Armor of Faith, should be worth my while.

Edit: Armor of Faith is a level 1 spell? 25% physical AND magical dmg reduction, and all for a level 1 spell slot? Looks like I won't be using Bless or Doom much, lol.
    elminster said:

Tresset said:

@Stormvessel‌ Don't forget Armor of Faith! It is an awesome spell for a Blackguard and it stacks with hardiness.

That's true. By the time I get Priest spells Armor of Faith, should be worth my while.

Edit: Armor of Faith is a level 1 spell? 25% physical AND magical dmg reduction, and all for a level 1 spell slot? Looks like I won't be using Bless or Doom much, lol.
    It'll be 25% physical damage resistance when you hit level 28 (20% at level 23, 15% at level 18, 10% at level 13, etc).
    Right, I was thinking in endgame terms. Also, I do believe it's physical as well as magical.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

Tresset said:

It'll be 25% physical damage resistance when you hit level 28 (20% at level 23, 15% at level 18, 10% at level 13, etc).
    Right, I was thinking in endgame terms. Also, I do believe it's physical as well as magical.
    Yep and elemental resistances as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Has anyone else noticed that the Ogre on the way to the FFA can drop a Wand of Fire? Normally all he ever drops is the two belts, but on my way to the FFA I kill him and bam - a Wand of Fire thrown in for good measure. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my party is level 5+ (I killed Drizzt, the Vampiric Wolves, and cleared the Basilisk area before heading to FFA).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.