Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Sergio said:

I think that half-orc chaotic evil barbarians, especially with Ascension, are better than kensai ;)

I've played both, and I honestly feel the Half-Orc Kensai takes this one in a route.

Defense? Definitely Barbarian. D12, Rage immunities, and physical resistance puts the Barbarian on par with, or at least pretty close to, the Dwarven Defender. His only downside here is that he can't wear plate.

Offense? Not even close. I would bet anything that a level 20+ Half-Orc Kensai would chunk to bits a level 20+ Half-Orc Barbarian, and do it in no time flat.

Kiting with the +2 movement speed, the Barb would win. But that would literally be the Barbarian's only hope.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Stormvessel‌ How is PvP relevant, though?
    edited June 2014

@Stormvessel‌ How is PvP relevant, though?

When people mention power, naturally I think the best way to settle that is to determine which would win in a duel. And my opinion is that a Half-Orc Kensai would destroy any Barbarian, and that the fight would be so obviously lopsided.

Edit: I do agree with what he said in his edit - the Barbarian is the more well rounded character.

Normally I am very reserved when making statements on this board because I don't have the experience that some of you have, but I have played both these classes quite a bit, and couldn't even finish my Kensai runthrough because he was just too powerful that it wasn't even fun. I got quite a ways into the saga with the Barbarian and his power was in his kiting potential and defense. And it's his kiting ability that would be his only hope against the Kensai because he would be destroyed in quick order.
    In any case, didn't mean to derail the thread.

@‌ Sergio

Unless I'm mistaken, Grandmastery was good in the beginning, was nerfed to the point that it wasn't worth it, and now it's good again. I'm sure there are some charts somewhere that illustrate this.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2014
    I believe the bonuses for GM in vanilla BG1 were +3 to hit, +5 damage, +3/2 APR. But it wasn't actually possible to achieve GM in BG1, at least not without modding the XP cap. In BG2 it got nerfed to +2 to hit, +3 to damage, +1/2 APR. Now in the EEs it gives +3 to hit, +5 damage, +1 APR. There are also some speed factor bonuses, but I don't remember what they are.

Edit: actually, in vanilla BG2, GM granted +4 to damage. The in-game description is wrong.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited June 2014
    TJ_Hooker said:

I believe the bonuses for GM in vanilla BG1 were +3 to hit, +5 damage, +3/2 APR. But it wasn't actually possible to achieve GM in BG1, at least not without modding the XP cap. In BG2 it got nerfed to +2 to hit, +3 to damage, +1/2 APR. Now in the EEs it gives +3 to hit, +5 damage, +1 APR. There are also some speed factor bonuses, but I don't remember what they are.

With ++++ you get -1 bonus to speed factor.
    With +++++ you get -3 bonus to speed factor.
    Would you consider it cheating to spam fireballs at bosses/mini-bosses hidden beyond the fog, quicksaving after every hit (to make sure they didn't save for half), and then go trigger the conversation and quickly deal the death blow?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Would you consider it cheating to spam fireballs at bosses/mini-bosses hidden beyond the fog, quicksaving after every hit (to make sure they didn't save for half), and then go trigger the conversation and quickly deal the death blow?

How would that even be cheese at all?
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

How would that even be cheese at all?
    I am not sure what you are asking, but the truth is that I wasn't being even remotely serious when I asked the question - I was just being goofy, that's all. :P It was something that I discovered could be done, and I thought it was funny. I mean, quicksaving and possibly quickloading after every fireball to make sure they don't save - how delightfully cheap!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    How else should you try to win the chess fight? ;p
    Elrandir said:

That reminds me - I have a badass two-handed sword +3 to delve in after...
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited June 2014
    Elrandir said:

Web,
    Web,
    Greater Malison,
    Wand of Fire,
    Wand of Fire,
    Wand of Fire,
    Wand of Fire

Checkmate.

Edit:
    From their side of the board it must be like deleted scenes from Platoon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sergio said:

Can someone tell me how much one turn lasts?

Not enough or to damn long, depending on who cast what where.

I actually need to know this to. I'm pretty sure a round is 6 seconds, and a turn is a number of rounds, but once we stop using turns we use hours because fuck you, logic.
  • ChackChack Member Posts: 23
    A round is 6 seconds. A turn is 10 rounds, that is 60 seconds / 1 minute.
    One hour is 6 turns IIRC.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    In Pen and paper a turn is 10 minutes and a round is one minute, wich means a turn is ten rounds.

In BG saga a turn is one minute and a round is 6 seconds, wich means a turn is ten rounds.

The only really useful thing here is:
    when you cast protection from magical weapons, count to 24 then cast another PFMW.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Sergio‌

It's much more comfortable to use a level 1 wizard spell Protection from Petrification. Also, at Nashkel Carnival you can buy a green scroll with this spell that lasts for hours - enough to clear all the basilisk area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    How do I make a gif run? In the forum, that is.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    meagloth said:

You should be able to just post it like it is an image. Check out the "how to format posts" thread in the support section for how to do that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    TJ_Hooker said:

Chack said:

One hour is 6 turns IIRC.

Close, but I'm pretty sure an in-game hour is 5 turns.
    Yes you are correct.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    meagloth said:

What I would like to know is how to make a gif in the first place...
    edited June 2014
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

You should be able to just post it like it is an image. Check out the "how to format posts" thread in the support section for how to do that.
    It doesn't work though. It doesn't move, you only see the first frame. Here, is this running?
    How do dual class weapon pips work? Once you have regained your previous class, are you able to gain any level of proficiency that class could have? For instance, let's say I was a fighter who dualed to a thief. When I regain my fighter class, I decide I want to get GM in scimitars. I currently have no pips in scimitars, however. Can you put five pips into it or are you locked to the thief's one pip?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Elrandir said:

How do dual class weapon pips work? Once you have regained your previous class, are you able to gain any level of proficiency that class could have? For instance, let's say I was a fighter who dualed to a thief. When I regain my fighter class, I decide I want to get GM in scimitars. I currently have no pips in scimitars, however. Can you put five pips into it or are you locked to the thief's one pip?

In that situation you could indeed put 5 pips into scimitar. In vanilla BG1 (and IWD) you would be limited to 1 pip in the same situation.
    So a dual allows you to use whatever the superior class' weapon skills are. *nods* Interesting. And very convenient. Does that apply to weapon styles as well? If that's the case then fighter is even better as a dual.