Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    So, in Detroit, 8 Lions players took a knee (as well as the person SINGING the anthem after it was over. There were loud audible boos from the crowd. So let me get this straight: it is not ok to take a knee during the anthem, but it is permissible to loudly boo during the anthem?? Moreover, does every person who thinks standing during the anthem is so important get up of the couch and stand in their living room with their hand over their heart while watching the game on TV?? No, of course not. Because this isn't about patriotism, it's about racism. Though the two are often the same thing among the American right-wing.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Yulaw9460: The reason I ask is because disrespectful behavior is against the Site Rules, I'm required as a moderator to enforce them to the letter, and I read every word in this thread every day.

If you genuinely can't post in this thread without using derogatory language (and I'm pretty sure you can), you will not be posting here at all.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    Really? Then you missed a post right above my initial one, where someone badgered right-wing inclined people.

I'll assume that was okay then, when it's NOT liberals getting pummeled?
    edited September 2017
    Honestly @semiticgod, if we don't allow those inclined to do so to use words like "snowflake, SJW, triggered, cuck, autistic" etc etc etc then their posts with consist of nothing but punctuation and random words. So, I, for one, as someone who is probably among the only people to literally be told to shut the hell up during the course of this thread (and never complained about it) support them being able to use these buzzwords, if only so I can still make sense of the posts to form a rebuttal.

The point being, this forum (and I suppose others like it) are like an oasis in the sea of the wild west of internet comment sections. "Snowflake" is a term I find annoying, and not particularly insightful, but I am also a huge proponent of using this anti-PC language and turning it against those who use it when the situation arises. So I can't in good conscience say anyone shouldn't be able to use the word because it's viewed as an insult towards liberals, when I have every hope one day it can be used as an insult against conservatives as well, and then we just stop using it altogether. It's going to be far better if the word is stripped of all it's meaning (and that is well on it's way to happening considering how up in arms the right is about people silently taking a knee before football games) so it loses it's perceived power.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Well, I guess the difference between me and... somebody else is that I would never want to ban the use of derogatory terms about me. I've got enough spinal matter to handle it.
    Yulaw9460 said:

Well, I guess the difference between me and... somebody else is that I would never want to ban the use of derogatory terms about me. I've got enough spinal matter to handle it.

And yet, despite what I just wrote, I'd also like to point out that you or I CAN be banned for any post we make, because @semiticgod is in charge here, it's not a democracy, and we don't have any "right" to post here. And that applies to any website that isn't an official government entity. Just become something is banned or censored does not equate to free speech being violated. It's simply the policy this particular forum has chosen to adapt. If someone feels that they aren't getting a fair shake here, I suppose that is a perfectly valid opinion, but there are hundreds if not thousands of other avenues on the internet to speak one's mind.
    Huh. And here I thought I paid for 5 games to post here. Whaddya know...

Well, of course I wouldn't want to offend anyones delicate sensibilities. Particularly people who get offended by everything. I'll go find a discussion about... errrh, Thac0 or some such.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited September 2017
    Yulaw9460 said:

It has more to do with showing respect to your fellow forumites than determining who can handle insults or not.

LA Times is late to the story, but they do add a human element to it with asylum seekers fleeing the U.S.

And it looks like Trump has finally invited the Penguins.
    Yulaw9460 said:

Well, of course I wouldn't want to offend anyones delicate sensibilities. Particularly people who get offended by everything. I'll go find a discussion about... errrh, Thac0 or some such.

I usually don't quote myself, but here goes...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited September 2017
    Oh and Trump isn't the only world leader causing a ruckus on Twitter.

Trudeau seemed to have offended a national treasure and opened an old debate that divides families.

All because of his choice of socks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-trudeau-socks/canadas-trudeau-sparks-star-wars-star-trek-spat-with-chewbacca-socks-idUSKCN1BX2AX

And he refuses to stop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/860180458319073280
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I love that. Such a cool detail to spice up your dress
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    deltago said:

Oh and Trump isn't the only world leader causing a ruckus on Twitter.

Trudeau seemed to have offended a national treasure and opened an old debate that divides families.

All because of his choice of socks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-trudeau-socks/canadas-trudeau-sparks-star-wars-star-trek-spat-with-chewbacca-socks-idUSKCN1BX2AX

And he refuses to stop:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/860180458319073280

I wish our problems were so trivial in the US lol.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    I really hope that we all realize one day that arguing over colour of skin or political ideologies is what they want us to do. Can't come together and make humanity better if we are all bickering with each other.

They also get richer when we war with each other. They sell us the weapons.
    As far as anyone can tell, the Federal government is doing absolutely nothing while the entirety of Puerto Rico is without power. Those people are all Americans. And Trump hasn't said so much as a word about them while attacking sports personalities. Why?? Because his base probably doesn't view the people of Puerto Rico as fully-human, much less Americans who are in desperate need of help.

As far as anyone can tell, the Federal government is doing absolutely nothing while the entirety of Puerto Rico is without power. Those people are all Americans. And Trump hasn't said so much as a word about them while attacking sports personalities. Why?? Because his base probably doesn't view the people of Puerto Rico as fully-human, much less Americans who are in desperate need of help.

They really need statehood there otherwise they will just keep being taxed without representation.

They really need statehood there otherwise they will just keep being taxed without representation.
    Statehood or not, it is our responsibility to help them. It's a US territory. This is actually worse than Katrina. At least there was SOME effort to get in help in the first week after Katrina (incompetent efforts, but efforts nonetheless). Nothing is being done in regards to Puerto Rico. They are without power and about to be hit with a record heat wave. If asked, does Trump even KNOW Puerto Rico is part of the United States?? How many Trump supporters are aware of it?? How many care??
    How many non-Trump supporters know that?

How many non-Trump supporters know that?

Probably not enough, but I'm certain a higher percentage. I'm also certain the last two Democratic Presidents (and even Bush, for that matter) would have realized the obligation we have to send aid to Puerto Rico. Trump hasn't said a word about it for nearly a week, spending his entire weekend engineering a domestic culture war over sports and the national anthem.
    Hate crimes are on the rise. The Southern Poverty Law Center says there has been a spike in hate crimes in the US since last year's election.

Many people say that is because of Trump. Factors include his support for racists and extremists. His encouraging people to rough up protestors and promises to pay their legal bills.

Hate crimes are on the rise. The Southern Poverty Law Center says there has been a spike in hate crimes in the US since last year's election.

Many people say that is because of Trump. Factors include his support for racists and extremists. His encouraging people to rough up protestors and promises to pay their legal bills.

Trump or not, people that commit these acts should be put on an island somewhere and let them have at each other. Nature will always put you in your place.
    This particular incident appears to just be yet another guy who shouldn't have had access to a firearm committing a mass shooting. This country literally has one nearly every single day of the year. It's so common we don't even hear about them anymore.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    What evidence do you have that this is a hate crime?
    Aaron had said earlier that police weren't aware of any relation between the gunman and the congregation, but he said Sunday evening that some churchgoers recognized his name and said he had attended the church about a year or two ago.

"They did not know who it was until they heard the name, and some of them gasped when they heard the name," Aaron said.

Kenny Love, a Nashville-area singer, said he went to high school with Samson and was "heartbroken" over the news.

"I was on Facebook and then someone said there was a shooting, and then they said the shooter was Emanuel K. Samson, and I said please don't let it be my friend," he said. "But then I looked, and it was, and I started crying. I couldn't believe it."
    BillyYank said:

What evidence do you have that this is a hate crime?
    Aaron had said earlier that police weren't aware of any relation between the gunman and the congregation, but he said Sunday evening that some churchgoers recognized his name and said he had attended the church about a year or two ago.

"They did not know who it was until they heard the name, and some of them gasped when they heard the name," Aaron said.

Kenny Love, a Nashville-area singer, said he went to high school with Samson and was "heartbroken" over the news.

"I was on Facebook and then someone said there was a shooting, and then they said the shooter was Emanuel K. Samson, and I said please don't let it be my friend," he said. "But then I looked, and it was, and I started crying. I couldn't believe it."
    Do you always shoot the people you love? Peddle your wears some place else please.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317

Do you always shoot the people you love? Peddle your wears some place else please.

Well not always, but things like domestic and 'office revenge' shootings are extremely common. Without knowing the background to this particular one it seems entirely possible this would be an office revenge type, i.e. he fell out with someone in the church and decided to get even. It's also possible at this stage that insanity is involved (the Lord made me do it).
    Grond0 said:

Well not always, but things like domestic and 'office revenge' shootings are extremely common. Without knowing the background to this particular one it seems entirely possible this would be an office revenge type, i.e. he fell out with someone in the church and decided to get even. It's also possible at this stage that insanity is involved (the Lord made me do it).
    So it's a hate crime then. You shoot people you hate. Revenge is hate.
This discussion has been closed.